HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm 

I agree with John with regards to the attic. Inspecting the attic is a 30 day, and one year issue, not a PDI concern.

Why waste time looking in the attic during the PDI. Stay focused, and pay attention to the details that are important to note at the PDI.

Look for chips, scratches, dents, damage, etc. on walls, floors, doors, counters, cabinets, drawers, stairs, toilets, sinks, tubs, windows, etc.

Look for sloppy paint work.

Carefully examine hardwood floors for the above listed damage plus cupping, warping, and crowning.

Carefully examine all the exterior doors for dents, scratches, broken or cracked glass.

Carefully examine tubs and showers to make sure that the silicone is complete with no holes.

Look for damage and dents on the mechanical equipment.

Carefully examine garage doors for any damage.

There are many items that if missed during your PDI then you must prove that the damage was caused by the builder. This would include, but not limited to, door damage and hardwood floor damage.

The builder is required to dedicate one hour for every 1000 square feet of the home. This however is just a guideline and your PDI may take longer.

READ THIS CARFULLY - This Construction Performance Guidline basically says that if during the PDI, you detect that the hardwood floor is cupped, then they will repair the floor. Note that if after you move in and see that the hardwood floor is cupped then basically you are out of luck. Now you must prove that your home has a certain amount of humidity, and prove that the material and or workmanship is defective.

Article Number: 12.21

Condition: STRIP HARDWOOD FLOORING IS CUPPED (HIGH EDGES)
Acceptable Performance/Condition: Strip hardwood flooring shall be installed without cupping.

Warranty: One-Year – Work and Materials • Damage caused by improper maintenance is excluded from the statutory warranty. • Cupping caused by excessive humidity due to failure by the homeowner to maintain adequate ventilation is excluded from the statutory warranty.
Action: One complete heating and cooling season should be allowed as the problem may remedy itself. Cupping identified at the time of the PDI shall be repaired. Cupping that occurs after the PDI and is proven to result from defective work or materials shall be repaired.
Remarks: Identify any damaged hardwood flooring on the PDI Form to avoid any dispute about whether the damage was caused by the builder. Cupping of hardwood strip flooring results from excessive moisture when the humidity below the finished flooring material is substantially higher than above. The homeowner has a responsibility to maintain indoor humidity levels through humidification, ventilation, air conditioning or dehumidification to prevent permanent, irreversible damage. A hygrometer can be used to monitor indoor humidity levels. The immediate sanding of a cupped floor without first allowing it to correct itself may cause even more damage. This condition commonly occurs when houses do not have adequate ventilation and can, under certain circumstances, result from defects in work or materials.

I offer free phone advice for people that are doing their own PDI's. If you have questions, or would like tips and advice please call me.

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761
http://www.haltoninspections.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 pm 

Do you think its worth bringing someone in to help with the PDI or at your one year? I have a friend who paid to bring someone in at her one year and they found several issues. I'm just wondering when would be the best time if I should decide to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm 

Quote:
Universaltile posted

Do you think its worth bringing someone in to help with the PDI or at your one year? I have a friend who paid to bring someone in at her one year and they found several issues. I'm just wondering when would be the best time if I should decide to do this.

Michelle and John

There are different benefits for each inspection. If you were to only get one inspection then the one year is probably the best one to get. But there are pros and cons to everything. For example, the sooner you bring things the the builders attention, the better. Problems like gas-proofing issues, missing roof flashing, electrical problems, etc., should be repaired or improved ASAP.

We offer a unique service called PDI Assist, as well as 30 Day and One Year Warranty Inspections. There is some information about these services on this page http://www.haltoninspections.com/hhis_service.htm. Just click where it says New Home Warranty Inspections.

Feel free to call me for information or tips for your PDI.

Andy Shaw - 905 876 4761
http://www.haltoninspections.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 pm 

Thank you Andy this is something I may consider when it comes time to do our PDI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 am 

Anything you spot during the PDI is supposed to be fixed by the Builder. Anything at your 30 and 90 day warranties is fixed by the warranty department.

TRUST ME, you DO NOT want a huge list for your builder. They normally do not fix things as good as the warranty guys and end up making more of a mess or causing more damage.

PDI just walk around, look for damaged drywall, paint problems, chips, make sure your upgrades are in. Check all taps and toilets for working water and ensure your cupboards work. I brought a circuit tester and tested all outlets too for proper wiring and tested the GFI.

As you live in the house you will spot more and more things that are incorrect. I regret not getting a home inspector for my 90 day incase I have missed something but as of 3 years ago yesterday, all is well.
Matt