HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:52 pm 

MiltonChop wrote:
ok yes, I admit the quality of some of their kirkland stuff including the meats is pretty good, their paper towels are/were awesome too! :) ... but again, not cheap at all! Yes their Sales/clearance items are a good deal but many times you only see them in store and end up buying just because the price is good but you dont really "need" it... then you're stuck with 28 Deodorant sticks (all the same) or 15 Toothpaste tubes (all the same) or 5 Litres of ketchup that wont fit in the fridge...lol :)

Maybe if/when the family grows then might make sense but def not work the drive from Milton to Mississauga or Burlington for me or the $60. I think you see lots of crowds still because there are quite a few free/discount "corporate memberships" that people use, and it USED to be worth it back in the day, prices were always good but now not so much but people still think they're saving boatloads but really you're not unless ya you want to split things up between 3 families but what a pain to manage the logistics of that, all to save $4 on toilet paper! LOL!

The best thing to do is to make a list of the items you regularly need and whenever you're in the vicinity, drop in and pick up those items. I know prices and I'll guarantee you that the price of membership is easily offset by the savings I make. I don't buy huge bulk items but there are items you can purchase in reasonable quantities that save you cash. Of course their warranty is second to none.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:43 pm 

Is it worth it at all for a young couple with no kids at the moment? We just moved into our first home from a basemen apartment, so we usually just went with our basic necessities/purchases at the time.

Usually buy meats from Loblaws Superstore and house hold needs from Walmart. I usually am on the hunt for sales and I do enjoy looking through flyers. We are not the type to buy into the late fashion/clothes. Due to my lack of experience with Costco, I have been having trouble sorting out a pros & cons list of having a basic membership.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:45 pm 

you can alwasy sign up and if you don't use it, you can refund the membership.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:34 pm 

Hi

We do not have kids either and it is only the 2 of us. I renew my membership using my aeroplan miles if it wasn't for that I would think twice however even if you don't shop there but do a lot of bbq propane at 0.49 per liter is worth it with a few fill ups.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 pm 

It's absolutely worth it, even for a couple, but you have to decide what items are cost saving. Definitely (if you have storage space) things like toilet paper, paper towels, pantry items, household cleaners etc. I wouldn't buy produce or bakery items, but meats can be very economical if you repack them into smaller portions for freezer storage. Also, there are some items that you can only get at costco. Housewares and seasonal items can sometimes be a steal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm 

James snow and Derry?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:43 pm 

Have we given up on this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:30 pm 

newermiltonian wrote:
Have we given up on this?

Last I heard was that the closed Rona store at Argentia was being considered but lack of parking was a
negative.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:54 am 

last I heard, there were discussions going on at high level, and there is a planned commercial centre east of JSP in between Main and 401 that would make the most sense (forget who the developer is but perhaps RioCan????)

no where else in Milton that has the size needed by Costco

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am 

rickp wrote:
last I heard, there were discussions going on at high level, and there is a planned commercial centre east of JSP in between Main and 401 that would make the most sense (forget who the developer is but perhaps RioCan????)

no where else in Milton that has the size needed by Costco

You mean behind the current commercial there? (esso, Canada computers etc)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 pm 

can't find it anymore (may have been FieldGate Commercial, but not longer on their site as a listed site), but it was East of the Esso plaza and from main to 401. in other words, a huge area for a big mall! but since nothing on the web that I can find about it now, probably not any time soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:40 pm 

Yes it was Fieldgate, Colin was hopeful in 2014. Just reread this thing, I'm repeating myself here, oh well!

http://hawthornevillager.com/phpbb/view ... co#p480022

I remember reading that Fieldgate page that Colin linked to, it did not mention Costco or any other potential occupant of the site. I guess it was kept vague enough to just kill quietly if need be. Moving on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 pm 

Wonder where the next location will be that's close to Milton.
Both Mississauga locations are really crowded now and weekend are horrible for shopping.
I see that every year they're getting more and more people and I guess they need to expand a little quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 am 

M4rtin wrote:
Wonder where the next location will be that's close to Milton.
Both Mississauga locations are really crowded now and weekend are horrible for shopping.
I see that every year they're getting more and more people and I guess they need to expand a little quicker.

The only way to deal with places that get very busy and crowded like Costco is to go very early in the morning or at some other less busy time like a weekday. Going to Costco in the middle of the day on the weekend is too crazy for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:21 pm 

Has anything changed in past 8 years now? Does anyone know if there are any plans for Costco to open a location in Milton? If not, how can we all persuade them to open a location here? Is there a way?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next