HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:05 pm 

Thank you Zeeshan! I would love to see Milton more pedestrian/cycling friendly...let's hope they listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:19 pm 

Already a councillor? :)

Good to see that you are voicing the concerns for pedestrians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Great going Zeeshan!

I was posting about this on Milton Moms recently (as were you) but you took it further in submitting your comments directly to town council.

I mentioned bike lanes were actually supposed to be a major part of Hawthorne Village originally. That's why in the older sections of HV you have some boulevards wider than others (because bike lanes were supposed to go there). But due to some poor communication and resident involvement it got nixed.

Bike lanes need to be more broadly communicated to residents both new and old so we avoid 'surprises'. i.e. in the past residents would move in, see their nice front lawns and then only at a later date be "surprised" that they were losing part of "their" front lawn to a bike lane.

The situations might not be similar though, as I think in the ward 8 collector road situation you're talking about using the existing road width and not making a change to the boulevard area? Zeeshan you know more about your local road area than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 pm 

Its very easy to say, put in bike lanes and that will solve the problem. There have been studies to show that by putting these lanes in to existing roadways, speed does go down. But there are also other concerns with bike lanes as in increased collisions between bikes and other vehicles on the road.

(Puts accountant hat on) There are also other restrictions to putting bike lanes in and thats $$$. Its not simply a matter of painting the lines and thats it...theres possible reconstruction of the road because in some cases the road is already narrow. This cant be implemented town wide and extra caution would have to be taken with busier roads and intersections.

THEN we have to deal with education of the public regarding rules etc.

It definately is an idea worth investigating but more information is needed other than a quick scan of Google results on "traffic calming bike lanes"

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Zeeshan Hamid wrote:
Milton's policy is to "not" have traffic calming on neighbourhood roads (like Scott Blvd). That needs to change.
Really? What about the radar speedometer on philbrook that shows drivers how fast they are going. I thought it's whole intentions was to get some drivers to realize how fast they were going and slow the heck down.

In articles I've seen they do mention vehicle-activated-signs that show the speed of drivers as a traffic calming method.

I'm not complaining. I *want* traffic calming along that section of philbrook so obviously I like that it's there :wink:

Post subject: Bike lanes. No!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 pm 

Here we have the perfect opportunity to build into our town a network of bike paths that are away from major roadways that can bring you to all parts of the town and we wnat to follow what Toronto is doing.

Please just always do the opposite of Toronto and we will be better off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:15 pm 

We lost the bike paths on Trudeau because of the people who lived in the houses where they were going. Most bought after we did and we knew about them.
When they started to build them people freaked. The town decided to poll everyone who lived on the streets where the bike paths were supposed to go and no one else! It affected the whole community not just the people who live on those streets. Of course the majority of people who showed up voted against it because the rest thought there is no way that the Town would be that stupid as to cancel them...

Still a sore spot for those of us who want them. I would love to see them put in.