HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 pm 

A sham is a pillow case. A skirt hangs down and covers the box spring. Bedding is one thing that I have found to be ridiculously cheaper in the states, so if you are ever thinking about going down to the states for shopping...give it a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 am 

We're actually having the same dilemma...

Just got our new bed and we've been looking EVERYWHERE for some decent bedding. We've tried Bed Bath & Beyond, Bouclair, Winners, Homesense, Home Outfitters, Bay, Zellers, Walmart, Sears... we've found nothing we like. We're planning to make a trip to the US in hopes of finding something.

To clarify some of your inquiries, a pillowcase is put on through one end whereas a sham has the slit in the middle and you have to stuff each end in at a time. Sheets come either flat or fitted (with the elastic to hug your mattress). Skirts go between the mattress and boxspring and hang over to cover your boxspring and is only needed if your bed set sits on a metal frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 am 

I usually find nice pricing on bedding at Costco (Canada), Winners, Costco (US) or online.

It used to be fairly easy to buy; higher thread count was nicer stuff and more money. Now you can get 600 or even 1000 for under $50, so I'm sure its not the same as the old days. Search around on slickdeals.net and I'm sure you'll find something cheap in a short while. Last time was SmartBargins selling Egyptian cotton 600 ct for Queen/King at ~36 USD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:00 am 

Where you're looking at bedding sets, you will find one of two things:

A duvet cover set, which is a huge cover for your plain white goose down duvet (puffy breathable warm yet cool feather blanket lol), with shams , which are essentially useless uncomfortable, yet matching pillowcases, so when your bed is made, it looks like a picture from a magazine.

The other option is a sheet set, which comes with a bottom sheet (fitted), top sheet, and pillow cases, in various fabrics. I prefer flannel regardless of what time of year it is since it's soft to the touch. Loblaws actually sells decent ones for under 50 bucks. (Sometimes 20!)

Neither of these sets come with a blanket with any weight.

NOW... if you have a King bed with Queen pillows, then sets of any kind won't work and you'll have to buy individual pieces.

I had no idea UK bedding was that different!
hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:45 am 

For a king size bed, you will need king size pillows. We use these for our shams when our bed is made, but actually use three standard size pillows in a row to sleep with (we could not find the memory foam pillows in king size) which fits perfectly across the width of the bed.

Another very inexpensive place to find your duvet cover is Ikea. We have two of them: one in my daughter's room since we use a coverlet on top of her duvet and we use a spread on top of ours when we make our beds.

They are a thinner cotton compared to my son's duvet cover so they dry much faster in the dryer. We often have to dry his separately which is a pain with washing the linens every week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am 

We recently bought a King bed and bought ALL the bedding, inc duvet and mattress cover (we have babies who spit up, etc on the bed sometimes) from Home Sense. Much cheaper then elsewhere.

You can also try Bouclair Home (they have a shop at Erin Mills Town Center mall)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 am 

Mich wrote:
For a king size bed, you will need king size pillows. We use these for our shams when our bed is made, but actually use three standard size pillows in a row to sleep with (we could not find the memory foam pillows in king size) which fits perfectly across the width of the bed.

Another very inexpensive place to find your duvet cover is Ikea. We have two of them: one in my daughter's room since we use a coverlet on top of her duvet and we use a spread on top of ours when we make our beds.

They are a thinner cotton compared to my son's duvet cover so they dry much faster in the dryer. We often have to dry his separately which is a pain with washing the linens every week.

We found that the Ikea version of a King duvet doesn't cover the bed enough. We ended up having to return it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:03 pm 

We have a king bed...and a king duvet. However, the king duvet barely hangs over the mattress. We're looking for a california king duvet...has anyone seen this in Canada???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:08 pm 

We just recently ordered our bedding from here
http://www.beyond-bedding.com/
the sheets are very soft. Quality is very nice. Happy with our purchase. We have king as well, and find the duvet adequate enough to cover us both
bought a 2nd set from Home Outfitters.

probably delayed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:16 pm 

there is a linen sale place in etobicoke its located at evans avenue and the 427 right behind a car rental place...its hard to see...but they do have a sign right before the highway on ramp....right at the driveway

it is not open every day...but it is open on Saturday's.
They get all kinds of stuff. The selection...from the last time we went over a year ago...was fantastic!!

We purchased 800 thread count Egyptian cotton bedding and only paid 40 bucks for the whole set...that usually sells for hundreds!!
They sell everything from...sheets, to pillows, to shower curtains and towels and more.

The place is fantastic...at least last time we went.

For comparison sake...we purchased a garbage can there for our powder room for 6 dollars...it at the time we bought it was selling in Linen's and Things for 40!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm 

We have had great luck with the PC HOME sheets at Superstore and they always go on sale. We also buy our sheet sets from Costco.

There is nothing I like more then crisp, white sheets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:16 pm 

Deep wrote:
Mich wrote:

We found that the Ikea version of a King duvet doesn't cover the bed enough. We ended up having to return it.

We did not buy our duvet from Ikea...just the duvet cover. I actually prefer the smaller size one since I did not want it to overhang the coverlet that is on top when the bed is made. I don't store the duvet...just hide it under the coverlet when the bed is made :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:48 pm 

I sleep great in my $30 grocery store sheets :) and yes they have deep pockets for my deep mattress. and yes, that's $30 for king! For me it's the mattress, not the sheets that I get a comfortable sleep from.

Everybody is different. I personally have no need for $240 sheets, and neither does the OP, if I'm remembering the original post correctly. I'm guessing it's one of those "Once-you-try-it-you-never-go-back" things like high speed internet, or beer.
I'll stick with my 6mb service and $30 sheets. Just don't mess with my beer.