HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I posted information on the job fair yesterday which is currently in the Jobs/Careers in Milton section. Can the moderator please move that post to this thread?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Town & Regional Councillor
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
http://www.tony-lambert.ca

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm 

Looking at this pic, is it fair to say this is an *outdoor-walking-mall*? Meaning you park in one parking lot and walk? Meaning better than the Heartland disaster in Mississauga, where you literally have to drive from one lot to the next, store to store?

I can't tell if those are lane-ways or walkways between the buildings.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:45 pm 

Too bad there will be no public transit to this mall. That’s means all that apply to work will require a car or someone with a car to transport them there. The potential to have a bus route in place, one that surely could be utilized 7 days a week and maybe generate revenue will not happen.

Opie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:25 pm 

martin prince wrote:
Looking at this pic, is it fair to say this is an *outdoor-walking-mall*?

If it is anything like the other Premium Outlet malls in the US, yes, it will be an outdoor walking mall.

We were just at a couple of those malls this week while vacationing in Florida. A lot of ths same names. Awesome news about the Brooks Brothers factory store. Their fitted non-iron shirts are the best!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 pm 

I'm sure that this mall is going to be wonderful for about 1/3 of the year . . .

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:55 am 

^ +1

And I'm sure it'll still be cheaper going to the USA..
Look at Target for instance, everyone was hearing usa prices and usa stock was coning, only to see the same as what were use to already. Everyone I spoke to says Target is a joke and nothing more than a cleaned up Zellers. Anyways...

Let's hope this outlet mall is better than the other so called outlet malls in Canada, price wise.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 am 

opie wrote:
Too bad there will be no public transit to this mall. That’s means all that apply to work will require a car or someone with a car to transport them there. The potential to have a bus route in place, one that surely could be utilized 7 days a week and maybe generate revenue will not happen.

Opie

This is a great idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:12 am 

who says the town isnt planning to add a route there? or do you want it going there now like the bridge to nowhere...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 am 

thenay wrote:
^ +1

Look at Target for instance, everyone was hearing usa prices and usa stock was coning, only to see the same as what were use to already. Everyone I spoke to says Target is a joke and nothing more than a cleaned up Zellers. Anyways...

Let's hope this outlet mall is better than the other so called outlet malls in Canada, price wise.

I never heard anyone say Target in Canada would be the same as Target in the States - just like Wal-mart in Canada was not and is not like Wal-mart in the States, neither is Toys R Us or any other US store who comes to Canada. There are way too many issues to have the same selection and same pricing - different laws (such as language on labels), different duties, and much smaller scale - we have 10% of the population of the US - we cannot support as many products or as many skus as the US can.

Target also said repeatedly before coming here that their pricing would be competitive for the region, not the same as US. So anyone who was thinking Target (or any US store) would be the same as the US was not paying attention, had their heads in the sand, and/or has no idea how business works.

Saying Target is like a cleaned up Zellers is also far from the truth - the prices are better, the selection is better, the stores are cleaner, the stock levels are better, the service is better. I prefer Target to Wal-mart - that was never the case with Zellers, even when I tried to only go to Zellers.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:06 am 

Public transit to the mall would be a great idea, however the funding model for transit means more riders = More loss. The loose about 2 bucks a ride.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:40 am 

glocklover wrote:
Public transit to the mall would be a great idea, however the funding model for transit means more riders = More loss. The loose about 2 bucks a ride.

Huh? Umm no. I have no idea if 2 bucks loss a ride is right, but lets say it is; that would be an average loss, not the marginal loss. The biggest loss is when you have a big bus driving around 2 people (or empty), but as more riders join the bus, the marginal loss from each rider decreases, as operating a bus is almost entirely fixed costs (capital cost of bus, fuel, driver salary). If a bus is driving with a mostly full load, I assure you it is not operating at a loss. Transit has to be subsidized heavily because in order to encourage people to use it, often buses are running around with only a few people on them, and these trips produce a loss. For more specific proof, consider the fact that in the suburbs it is common for transit to be operated on a 70% subsidy (30% of costs paid by fares), while the much higher volume TTC operates on only a roughly 30% subsidy (70% from fares).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

The bus route is a great idea not only for the shoppers, but for the folks working there. I believe in halton region, milton is closest to the mall, and we actually have the infrastructure to make it happen. But do we have the will?
The jobs would be a boon for the milton region considering we are doing so well with the economic growth in the region؟

I know i would take the bus from near my home to get to the mall with the little guy - it would be a nice adventure.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

Let Georgetown pay for buses to the outlet mall, it's their mall not ours. Why should we subsidize shoppers to go spend money at a mall whose businesses who pay taxes to halton hills?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:18 pm 

Prices at target are higher than walmart and other "discount" stores unless you use their credit card.
To me that says, our products are 5% higher unless you use our credit card.

And when I meant a cleaned up Zellers. That's what I meant, cleaner, and stocked.

rickp wrote:
thenay wrote:
^ +1

I never heard anyone say Target in Canada would be the same as Target in the States - just like Wal-mart in Canada was not and is not like Wal-mart in the States, neither is Toys R Us or any other US store who comes to Canada. There are way too many issues to have the same selection and same pricing - different laws (such as language on labels), different duties, and much smaller scale - we have 10% of the population of the US - we cannot support as many products or as many skus as the US can.

Target also said repeatedly before coming here that their pricing would be competitive for the region, not the same as US. So anyone who was thinking Target (or any US store) would be the same as the US was not paying attention, had their heads in the sand, and/or has no idea how business works.

Saying Target is like a cleaned up Zellers is also far from the truth - the prices are better, the selection is better, the stores are cleaner, the stock levels are better, the service is better. I prefer Target to Wal-mart - that was never the case with Zellers, even when I tried to only go to Zellers.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:12 pm 

miltonLeo wrote:
Let Georgetown pay for buses to the outlet mall, it's their mall not ours. Why should we subsidize shoppers to go spend money at a mall whose businesses who pay taxes to halton hills?

That's the spirit! "It's on their side of the line so let's all pretend it's not there and surely someone else will deal with it!" Because surely Georgetown is going to run buses from Milton to this new mall for residents of Milton who shop and work there. So much small town thinking in this town still...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next