HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Commuting to Hamilton
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

I am wondering if anyone here commutes to hamilton? If so, can you let me know the following:

which route you take?
Costs associated (407) monthly?
How long does it take?
How is traffic?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 am 

i go to the hammer very rarely, but when i do i use the 407. it takes me about 30 mins from milton. traffic is going east bound, so youre ok with traffic flow. if you use the linc, you may run into issues in the winter getting up the hill to the linc itself.

the hammer sucks! why in the world do you "want" to go there?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:17 am 

LM34 wrote:
I am wondering if anyone here commutes to hamilton? If so, can you let me know the following:

which route you take?
How long does it take?
How is traffic?

Thanks in advance.

I commute there daily, and it takes roughly 30mins or so if you take the 407. Costs for the 407 are around $150-160 a month if you take it from Bronte to the 403/QEW. As said above, traffic is minimal- however I find the stretch of the 403 between hwy 6 and Main st west to be variable, and always the slowest part of the drive. All in all not a bad commute.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 am 

Don&Carmen wrote:
i go to the hammer very rarely, but when i do i use the 407. it takes me about 30 mins from milton. traffic is going east bound, so youre ok with traffic flow. if you use the linc, you may run into issues in the winter getting up the hill to the linc itself.

the hammer sucks! why in the world do you "want" to go there?

It isn't for me. For my sister and for work. Commutting to toronto sucks worse when you have to take the go train and subway so she is checking her options. If the commute to hamilton is faster and you are in your own car, and you would be happier than sitting in a packed go train with people who can be irritating, then it is good to know the options.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:37 am 

hvanseg wrote:
LM34 wrote:

which route you take?
How long does it take?
How is traffic?

Thanks in advance.

I commute there daily, and it takes roughly 30mins or so if you take the 407. Costs for the 407 are around $150-160 a month if you take it from Bronte to the 403/QEW. As said above, traffic is minimal- however I find the stretch of the 403 between hwy 6 and Main st west to be variable, and always the slowest part of the drive. All in all not a bad commute.

+1. I work in Hamilton, and it's an easy drive. 30 minutes or so from Milton to work for me (Main/403 area - time will vary depending on where in Hamilton, of course). About every 3rd week there will be an accident on the 403 in the evening that slows things down, but once you get to the 407 it's smooth sailing. I usually take the 407 from 25 in the morning, but then get off at Appleby on the way home and cut through the back roads to get back to Milton. Saves a bit of money in 407 fees and I've found 25 north in the evening can be a total trainwreck if there's a lot of transport truck traffic, so I like to avoid it. Although it's better now that Bronte St. is reopened and you can get around that way if you live on the west side of Milton.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 am 

Thanks Eci.

She would be commuting to mcmaster hospital. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 am 

LM34 wrote:
Thanks Eci.

She would be commuting to mcmaster hospital. :)

For the McMaster hospital and campus, it's a 30 minute drive from Milton - the only catch is where she'll have to park. If she gets to park in the parking garage underneath the hospital, then she's golden. If for whatever reason she'd have to park in McMaster's lower parking lots that are off Cootes drive, add another 15 minutes for the commute from the car back up to the hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 am 

Yeah, the parking will be the big issue. There's a waiting list for the hospital underground parking, unless she's in a high enough level to make demands for a parking space. Tell her the Ward St. lot is a better choice than some of the others they might offer because it's a shorter walk than Cootes and there's a shuttle bus that runs most days back and forth from the hospital. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the advise! I will let her know.