HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am 

nspace wrote:
I imagine if your grill is rusty...you have ruined the porcelain coating and it needs to be replaced?

yes
munchito wrote:
I need to get new cooking grills...I have the porcelain coated ones now. Worth it to go stainless steel?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
B&T402 wrote:
OK, now that we've got gas-fired hardware sorted out, let's change this thing over to coal and smokers.

As for smokers, earlier in this thread, some guy put up a post about a Napoleon smoker, which looks awesome.

What should one look for in a smoker as for:
-Size / Design?
-Portability?
-Digital?
-Fuel? (pellet, lump, what?)
-Digital Controls?

I can see using it maybe 20% of the time (I stand to be corrected), and having it be somewhat portable / stowable would be an advantage.

Get whatever automatic one martin prince or nothawthorny uses - they are awesome and you'll use it more than I use mine.

If you've got some extra cash to blow, grab a BGE.

As my less handsome friend has pointed out there, an automatic one is a great starter kit. Hell, I have been smoking for 5 years now and will still stay automatic and really only for convenience purposes. If I win the lottery and nothing better to do with my time, maybe I would consider the charcoal, but I have a fat man's appetite on a skinny man's schedule. Ain't nobody got time fo charcoal.

Now I will say that I have had Pete's charcoal smoked ribs, they were awesome and you do notice a difference in flavour, but not THAT much of a difference. Maybe I was drunk from all the home brew, who knows, but I do remember he offered me a Creamsicle, yes a Creamsicle after 12 pints. That's what everyone wants when they are shitfaced off of hopped up beer, a creamy frosty treat, you big homo.... Anyway, back on track. For the best flavour, charcoal is best, but for the best match of convenience and flavour, go with the automatic electrical units. You will only ever need to add 2-3 injections of chips at the beginning and then you just set it and forget it. For things like pulled pork where you cook for 16-20 hours, you really see the benefit. I usually start mine at 8pm, keep adding chips until I go to bed and that bad boy is ready for me the next day by dinner time.

I have this one and it has served me very well.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cuisi ... zxYdKhdWSo

Now my only negative call out on these units is they don't hold up to the elements very well at all. If you are like me and prone to getting hammered and forget to cover up your smoker, if it rains it could destroy the units timer/heat setter. I did go through one because of this. But through a crafty receipt scam a Canadian Tire, I was able to get it for free. I now keep my unit in the garage, because hey, garages aren't for cars, that is what my street is for!

Good luck on the purchase and congratulations on becoming a man!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:23 am 

The weather is getting better...this weekend is a good time to start BBQ season. Rev up your grills folks and be ready to smell the sweet scent of BBQs across town!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
sunny&geeta wrote:
The weather is getting better...this weekend is a good time to start BBQ season. Rev up your grills folks and be ready to smell the sweet scent of BBQs across town!

BBQ "season" does not end, loops around and restarts itself periodically, it does. You have much to learn, young Jedi.

Lol - well said

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:51 am 

Wait, people stop BBQing in the winter? That's just odd.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:01 am 

sunny&geeta wrote:

Buddy of mine has been out 3 times already in the past week. The coming weekend would make you a latecomer. (He'd have done more winter 'queing, but he's got a newborn at home)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:40 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
I guess I shoudl get started on the xmas light removal. Priorities...

...and brush the snow off that car in the driveway!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 pm 

Just purchased the weber 310 at Rona last Saturday. Looking forward to trying it out. It was 899 + tax but got the 15% discount.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 am 

Looking to purchase a weber BBQ in the next coming weeks. Does anyone have a 10% or 15% coupon at Home Depot or Rona that they're not using? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Laurence

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8