HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:36 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
Public Information Session: Milton Velodrome Update
Thursday, May 31, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
(Presentation at 6:30 pm)
Milton Sports Centre (Banquet Room), 605 Santa Maria Blvd.

The Town of Milton is moving forward with plans for construction of a velodrome - a 250m, banked, cycling track with 1,500 permanent seats

Attend for updates on the project and learn more about components and use options

For more information you can call Steve Palmer (Town of Milton) at 905-878-7252 ext. 2581

Hope to see people there!

_________________
Visit my Blog | Twitter | or Facebook page


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:49 am
Posts: 1265
Location: HVE
But the news on the Pan Am games that lists the new, scaled down locations only indicates that talks are "ongoing" with Milton... why isn't that considered concrete? Are the funding commitments not secure, and if not, why spend the money going ahead until they are, since if it doesn't fly those will be wasted sunk costs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
It's more a factor of regional / zoning. I'm not a regional councillor but I believe there is a ROPA amendment occurring (Regional Official Plan Amendment)

We are likely to start seeing some binding agreements come before council this month or soon after. The vendor/proponent selection is summer or fall this year with construction in 2013

But there will be more info and opportunity for q&a at this session. By that session date council will likely have gone through another update (ie our may 28 council meeting)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 249
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
We are likely to start seeing some binding agreements come before council this month or soon after


Hey Rick did you forget about the binding agreements council approved at our last council meeting

On April 23rd Milton Council approved the sponsorship and gift agreements with The Columbus Corporation (Mattamy) relating to the Milton Velodrome. In exchange for a $ 2 million dollar payment from Columbus the Town agrees that following the Pan Am and Parapan American Games the velodrome will be named the “ Mattamy Cycling Centre “. Now I do not have a problem with this agreement, but I do have some concerns with the Gift Agreement that was approved by council. In exchange for $ 7 Million in pledged donations the Town of Milton has agreed to the following conditions.

A minimum of 70% of the operating hours must be dedicated to indoor track cycling; again this is the minimum that 70% could go to 80 or 90%. This would severely restrict the multi uses that supporters of this velodrome keep mentioning as they try and justify the millions of capital tax dollars being redirected to the velodrome that had originally been allocated for other proposed sports facilities.

To ensure that this condition is met the town has further agreed to establish a management committee as the governing body for the velodrome. This committee will consist of 11 members of which the Chair and the majority of members must be from the cycling community. There is no mention of how many members must be from Milton, so we may see that this multi-million dollar facility that Milton tax payers will be responsible for being managed by a committee of which the majority of members do not live or pay taxes in Milton.

And finally the initial term of the agreements is for 20 years, with an option for a second 20 year term. Which means the if this turns into the white elephant that I suspect it will become, as have so many other such facilities, Milton taxpayers would be obligated to continue funding its operation through property taxes until at least the year 2034, or face severe financial penalties. Either way Milton tax payers will end up paying.

In its desperation to secure a financial agreement to assist the Town in paying its portion of the construction costs for this velodrome, I believe we have given away the farm while agreeing to keep paying the mortgage.


Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
This committee will consist of 11 members of which the Chair and the majority of members must be from the cycling community. There is no mention of how many members must be from Milton, so we may see that this multi-million dollar facility that Milton tax payers will be responsible for being managed by a committee of which the majority of members do not live or pay taxes in Milton.
11 members of which 1 is chair and 4 are from the cycling community. So... 4 cycling + 1 chair = 5. How is 5 a majority in an 11 member committee?

6 of the 11 are to be appointed by the Town of Milton (i.e. majority of the committee would be comprised of our choices).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 627
Rick Malbeouf - I have no problem with your personal position regarding the velodrome, that is your position, you are the fiscal hawk on council, and many respect you for this as it is an important role to play. However, more and more of the things you have written about the velodrome recently are either inaccurate or highly biased. I would suggest it's time to maintain your moral position as the fiscal hawk in opposition, but move on from this issue before your citizens really lose respect for you over your slandering of it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:21 am
Posts: 4035
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
A minimum of 70% of the operating hours must be dedicated to indoor track cycling;


Is this true? Sounds like a very narrow segment of the population would be using this. Unless we can go with our kids and ride around when its raining outside?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 249
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
This committee will consist of 11 members of which the Chair and the majority of members must be from the cycling community. There is no mention of how many members must be from Milton, so we may see that this multi-million dollar facility that Milton tax payers will be responsible for being managed by a committee of which the majority of members do not live or pay taxes in Milton.
11 members of which 1 is chair and 4 are from the cycling community. So... 4 cycling + 1 chair = 5. How is 5 a majority in an 11 member committee?

6 of the 11 are to be appointed by the Town of Milton (i.e. majority of the committee would be comprised of our choices).


The agreement states at least 2 of the 3 members appointed by the donor ( Mattamy ) must be from the cycling community he could choose to appoint 3. Peter Gilgan president Mattamy homes avid cyclist or his designate to be the 11th member ergo the majority from the cycling community as for the Milton appointees again nothing in the agreement states they must be from Milton only that at least 2 , again it could be more, must be from the cycling community.

As for btimmis comments please show me where anything I have said about this issue has been false or slanderous , as for my citizens I would suggest I am getting more support for my position then those councillors who are supporting this velodrome are getting. The vast majority of our citizens are opposed to our building this velodrome, which is one of the reasons we never held a public meeting. And if the people of Milton knew all the facts surrounding this project they would be even more opposed and outraged,unfortunately our only local newspaper who has come out in support of the velodrome has decided not to report all the information, such as these agreements. I suspect this will be an election issue and then we will see who has the support of the people.

Rick malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:56 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
This committee will consist of 11 members of which the Chair and the majority of members must be from the cycling community. There is no mention of how many members must be from Milton, so we may see that this multi-million dollar facility that Milton tax payers will be responsible for being managed by a committee of which the majority of members do not live or pay taxes in Milton.
11 members of which 1 is chair and 4 are from the cycling community. So... 4 cycling + 1 chair = 5. How is 5 a majority in an 11 member committee?

6 of the 11 are to be appointed by the Town of Milton (i.e. majority of the committee would be comprised of our choices).
The agreement states at least 2 of the 3 members appointed by the donor ( Mattamy ) must be from the cycling community he could choose to appoint 3. Peter Gilgan president Mattamy homes avid cyclist or his designate to be the 11th member ergo the majority from the cycling community as for the Milton appointees again nothing in the agreement states they must be from Milton only that at least 2 , again it could be more, must be from the cycling community.

As for btimmis comments please show me where anything I have said about this issue has been false or slanderous
So again, what you previously said is false. You said a majority of the committee "must be" from the cycling community. That's false. There's no requirement that a majority must be from the cycling community. The only requirement is 5 of the 11. Your twisting it by saying we (either the town or Peter Gilgan) "could" use one of their spots for an additional cycling member. How is "could" and "must" the same? If we wanted to (the town) we could use ALL of our appointments for cycling community members. Nothing's stopping us. But that doesn't mean we "must" do it. The only must is 5 of the 11 have to be from the cycling community. What you posted previously about a majority being required to be from the cycling community is false.

The Town of Milton appoints 6 members to the 11 member committee. I would think we'd want to make sure we appoint the 6 best members possible. We (the Town of Milton) make those 6 appointments, we could make the selection so all of them are Milton residents or we could not, it's up to us. We have the freedom only if we wanted to exercise it to select a member from outside of Milton if we thought that person would be beneficial to us. It's our choice (Town of Milton). No one's suggesting we can't select all Miltonians for our 6 spots. Your confusing the Town of Milton's freedom to make selections with somehow the committee not being controlled by Miltonians. Once again, the Town of Milton is in the drivers seat. In my opinion your bending the facts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 249
[
Quote:
quote="Rick Di Lorenzo?
6 of the 11 are to be appointed by the Town of Milton (i.e. majority of the committee would be comprised of our choices).


I guess you missed the part of the debate when I asked staff to explain why there was no specification in the agreement that the majority must be from Milton. The answer was that they had considered it but they did not feel that we could find 6 Milton residents with the qualifications needed to sit on this committee and meet the terms of the agreement.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am
Posts: 249
Quote:
btimmus wrote So again, what you previously said is false. You said a majority of the committee "must be" from the cycling community. That's false. There's no requirement that a majority must be from the cycling community


Let me go through it again for you, I will type slowly.... the committee would consist of 11 members made up of Peter Gilgan an avid cyclist, a Chair who must be a cyclist, and at least 4 of the remaining 9 members must be from the cycling community. By my calculations that adds up to at least 6 of the 11 will be cyclists.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
Let me go through it again for you, I will type slowly.... the committee would consist of 11 members made up of Peter Gilgan an avid cyclist, a Chair who must be a cyclist, and at least 4 of the remaining 9 members must be from the cycling community. By my calculations that adds up to at least 6 of the 11 will be cyclists.
Peter Gilgan or his designate is on the commitee because he's putting up the dollars. No where in the agreement does it say Peter Gilgan *must* be a cyclist or his designate *must* be a cyclist.

If tomorrow Peter Gilgan decides he'll never ride a bike again, he will *still* be on the committee (or his designate). His designate he selects for his spot is not required to be a cyclist. He's not required to be a cyclist. A majority of the commitee is not required to be cyclists.

I currently choose to drive a Hyundai Sonata and unless I resign or do something criminally stupid I'm the local councillor for ward 7 until 2014. Does that mean until 2014 the Ward 7 Councillor "must" drive a Hyundai Sonata? No. Tomorrow I could decide I want to sell my car and drive a blue car and I'd still be the councillor.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:46 am
Posts: 4490
Location: Tothburg, Winter Cres.
The board has 11 members. The make up of that 11 is below (copy/paste from the actual agreement)
Quote:
4. The Board will comprise the following members:
(a) Chair;
(b) [3]members appointed by the Donor, including at least [2] individuals who are members of the cycling community;
(c) [6]members appointed by the Donee, including at least [2] individuals who are members of the cycling community;
(d) Peter Gilgan or his designate.

Chair 5.
The Chair of the Board must be a passionate amateur cyclist who is well known in Ontario’s cycling community. The Chair of the Board shall be appointed by the Donor after consultation with the Donee. The Donor’s authority to appoint the Chair shall continue until December 31, 2054.

Donee = Town of Milton
Donor = Peter Gilgan Charitable Foundation


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 3525
Well, honestly I can see Rick M's argument reading that.
Let's face it, Peter Gilgan is an avid cyclist. That could change down the road as Rick D says, sure, but there's no questioning he is now.

So, unless Peter Gilgan changes he sporting passions and somewhere down the road is no longer an avid cyclist that's 6 cyclists out of 11 total committee members. Now that being said, an avid cyclist doesn't necessarily mean an avid TRACK cyclist :) . The sport is very broad. And the thing is a velodrome, and it will house the Canadian Cycling Association, so I'd expect it would have a cycling focus. It's conveniently located near some of the most popular road and mountain biking trails in the area which is a complimentary fit for building a strong, multi-faceted training program for the Canadian Cycling Association. Gymnasium/infield use demand is largely evening and weekend so I don't see a big problem maintaining a 70% bike use interfering with the infield programming. The two can mutually co-exist even with the cycling weighted programming a-la the LA velodrome which makes money.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:21 am
Posts: 4035
freemantrailfamily wrote:
Peter Gilgan is an avid cyclist.


I get it now... this is a 100% done deal. Carry on. lol Anyone against this is wasting their breath. Im definitely not hating as Mattamy rocks... just laying down the realism so we can move forward.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.134s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]