HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:04 pm 

IMO, the Velodrome price tag estimate of 56 million ( in the Champion today ) sounds way to low. Based on the images I have seen it does not seem possible that this can be built for that price.

I do NOT want to contribute. I want my municipal government representatives to keep costs and property tax costs under control and to not spend our tax dollars on frivolous structures that will only benefit a few people.

So far, Milton has spent wisely. The Sports Centre and the Leisure Centre are good investments that thousands of local residence use every week.

I can't imagine that the Velodrome will ever benefit us the same way.

Maybe I'm missing the big picture, but I won't miss a velodrome if we don't have one.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:32 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
IMO, the Velodrome price tag estimate of 56 million ( in the Champion today ) sounds way to low. Based on the images I have seen it does not seem possible that this can be built for that price.

I do NOT want to contribute. I want my municipal government representatives to keep costs and property tax costs under control and to not spend our tax dollars on frivolous structures that will only benefit a few people.

Maybe I'm missing the big picture, but I won't miss a velodrome if we don't have one.

From speaking with a couple of major contractors and knowing what usually happens with these types of time sensitive projects. I figure this thing will come in at between 65-70 Million.

As for your other comments they echo what I am hearing from the vast majority of residents who approach me about this thing.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:39 pm 

Rick Malboeuf wrote:

I figure this thing will come in at between 65-70 Million.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4

I will bet anyone that this thing will cost 90 to 100 million. The 56 million dollar "estimate" is a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:52 pm 

I wonder if legal action against the city and injunction against construction might be a better route than just tossing the municipal members who voted for this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:10 pm 

Councillor DiLorenzo has pointed out at least once on this thread that the Town's capital contribution is capped. He and Councillor Barkley authored a failed motion to have the Town set aside a percentage of the capital value of the Town's infrastructure as an Infrastructure Replacement Reserve. In advocating against that motion, at least as I understood the dabate, neither Staff nor the rest of Council disagreed with the necessity to provide properly for replacement. It's akin to the private sector a\providing for depreciation on its assets.

As the Capital cost of this albatross ( I was tempted to use the term white elephant but I think albatross describes better what it will mean to the Town) escalates so the amount that should be provided each year increases putting the Velodrome Business Plan further and further away from being cost neutral to the Town. It usually follows that as Capital Costs escalate so do operating costs. Councillors lets get out of this thing before it's too late!

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:00 pm 

It is great that our capital costs are capped. It's the ongoing maintenance and opertaing costs vs. community benefit that concern me. From what I last read (it may have changed since), the legacy fund will 'kinda, sorta' have some money to handle some of this, but there is no clarity around it.

Are the councillors that originally voted in favour of this initiative still holding fast in the 'Velodrome or Bust' camp? I'm not really expecting a response to this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 pm 

Mountain biking is like a million times better than road bikes/racing.

Have fun riding in your circle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 pm 

munchito wrote:
It is great that our capital costs are capped. It's the ongoing maintenance and opertaing costs vs. community benefit that concern me. From what I last read (it may have changed since), the legacy fund will 'kinda, sorta' have some money to handle some of this, but there is no clarity around it.

Are the councillors that originally voted in favour of this initiative still holding fast in the 'Velodrome or Bust' camp? I'm not really expecting a response to this.

First and foremost, it's not great. You will still render unto Caesar.

Either through town, provincial or federal taxes, you will still pay for this monstrosity.

Secondly, there is no way to predict whether or not the capital costs agreement will be honoured. If the province or feds say "pony up or we will f you in the a", I can imagine that we will pony up.

Check mate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:53 pm 

Imagine if this thing doesn't go over budget and actually generates a profit... Thatd be something for all the doomsayers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
Imagine if this thing doesn't go over budget and actually generates a profit... Thatd be something for all the doomsayers.

"And if you beleive that you'll buy this watch" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:44 am 

Sandeep wrote:

First of all this thing is already projected to go over budget, and the best case scenario of the 5 year business plan shows this velodrome will run on a deficit , and that business plan used the $17 million dollar figure ( towns portion for now ) for the capital reserve fund ( some voodoo economics being played here) . The Capital reserve contribution should be based on the actual cost of the project which is now forecast to be $ 56 million.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:53 am 

routehero wrote:

First and foremost, it's not great. You will still render unto Caesar.

Either through town, provincial or federal taxes, you will still pay for this monstrosity.

LOL maybe 'great' wasn't the proper word. Paying for it through provincial or federal taxes though is better than doing so through municipal, as we get to share it with 15 or 35 million of our closest friends as opposed to 90,000 (which would happen if VeloTron was built elsewhere anyway). In reality I do know that we are going to get stiffed here at the municipal level somehow.

routehero wrote:
Secondly, there is no way to predict whether or not the capital costs agreement will be honoured. If the province or feds say "pony up or we will f you in the a", I can imagine that we will pony up.

Can this really happen though? One would lke to assume that agreements like this are binding in some fashion, or why would anyone enter into them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 am 

munchito wrote:
routehero wrote:

Can this really happen though? One would lke to assume that agreements like this are binding in some fashion, or why would anyone enter into them?

I guess the contractor that had an agreement to build the power plant in Mississauga may have thought the same. A government that can break a promise to ALL its voters not to raise taxes will have no problem alienating one Riding! If the Conservatives or NDP are in Government, if they chose they will also be able to cancel and blame it on the Liberals.

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:45 am 

munchito wrote:

Not sure. If the town is willing to take it to court, then a plan B might look like: Pay more or the next round of grants will find their way to Sauga, Oakville, etc, and forget about that hospital.

Then town council has a session citing extraordinary circumstances and a willingness to do more. After all, what would this town be without a Velodrome? A walmart pitstop on the way to Guelph?

I love a good conspiracy theory though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 am 

martin prince wrote:
Mountain biking is like a million times better than road bikes/racing.

Have fun riding in your circle.

Have you ridden on a track before?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next