HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am 

I know swearing will be censored but whatevs..

Why the f**K is even one damn penny being spent on something so completely and absolutely ridiculous like a stupid velodrome? Seriously WHY WHY WHY??? Who the f**K proposed this and pushed for it??? Why isn't this money being funnelled into something more important like MDH where the service is absolutely horrendous and you're better off dying in the comfort of your own home than venturing out to that death trap. I'd love to know who's idea this was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:35 am 

Rick Malboeuf wrote:
The budget for the site preparartions, a cost borne solely by the town has increased from $ 2.2 million to $ 6.9 million a 250% increase.

Rick, is the above cost for site preperation included in the 'capped' capital costs the Town is on the hook for, or would this be in addition to? ( I think the cap was $20M or something like that?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:36 am 

you aint seen nothing yet. I'll say when all is said and done it'll be $120 million.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:37 am 

NewInTown wrote:
Why isn't this money being funnelled into something more important like MDH where the service is absolutely horrendous and you're better off dying in the comfort of your own home than venturing out to that death trap.

Horsefeathers, Poppycock, Balderdash! Everyone knows that you can't use Velo money for Hospitals! DUHHHH!

/green :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 am 

Rick Malboeuf wrote:
At last nights council meeting the majority of councillors rubber stamped a staff report which reported that the new revised budget for the velodrome is now $ 62.9 million up from the original budget of $ 42.2 million. A 50% increase in less than 12 months and construction is just beginning. The budget for the site preparartions, a cost borne solely by the town has increased from $ 2.2 million to $ 6.9 million a 250% increase.

Hate to say I told you so....

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4

Rick

Thank you for speaking out - my thoughts on the matter http://www.cappercares.ca/2013/02/26/milton-council-meeting-feb-25-2013/

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 am 

munchito wrote:
NewInTown wrote:
Why isn't this money being funnelled into something more important like MDH where the service is absolutely horrendous and you're better off dying in the comfort of your own home than venturing out to that death trap.

Horsefeathers, Poppycock, Balderdash! Everyone knows that you can't use Velo money for Hospitals! DUHHHH!

/green :mrgreen:

I know that is true for Development Charge Monies but is it also true for reserves! $570,000 of the Towns reserves are being used to fund this. Could that $570,000 have gone to the Hospital reserve????

Just askin

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 am 

Thanks for the comment Rick.

It would be nice to hear also from those councillors who insisted on rolling the dice with our tax dollars. Doubt that will happen.

By comparison, that Piano Stairs proposal is looking pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 am 

garlis wrote:
It would be nice to hear also from those councillors who insisted on rolling the dice with our tax dollars. Doubt that will happen.

I'd also like to hear the other side of this, presumably from one or more of the councillors who voted for it. Who better to explain the other side?

Obviously they have other duties than just responding to things on this forum, but hopefully we hear from them sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 am 

what happens if they vote no to the increase? How does that work? The contractor has to agree to the old price? the project gets scrapped? What exactly was the increase? Wood/concrete became 50% more expensive in the past few months? When this sh*t happens, I feel its part of some sort of closed door scam. Convince the public initially to go along with it at this low price, then slowly raise it higher and we all line our pockets.

and when contracts are bid on, doesnt it make sense to lowball everyone, get the contract, then raise it up after to the price you will make money on it since everyone agrees to your new cost anyways?

How are our representatives this stupid to fall for the same scam the past 50 years...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm 

munchito wrote:
Rick Malboeuf wrote:
The budget for the site preparartions, a cost borne solely by the town has increased from $ 2.2 million to $ 6.9 million a 250% increase.

Rick, is the above cost for site preperation included in the 'capped' capital costs the Town is on the hook for, or would this be in addition to? ( I think the cap was $20M or something like that?)

The Milton share of the construction costs is currently capped at $ 17 million. The $2.2 million for site preparation is a seperate cost , that amount has increased to $ 6.9 million.

Rick Malboeuf
Ward 4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:20 pm 

Rick Malboeuf wrote:
The Milton share of the construction costs is currently capped at $ 17 million. The $2.2 million for site preparation is a seperate cost , that amount has increased to $ 6.9 million.

Rick Malboeuf
Ward 4

Rick

There were 2 tables contained in the Financial Impact section of the report. The first on Capital Cost and the second on Funding sources. Given the change in these since inception could I suggest that you ask for these to be updated for each Council Meeting. I am not suggesting that Council micro manage the project and perhaps you do see these numbers monthly but I think they should be made public.

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 pm 

Milton Councillors must have been drinking the Mattamy koolaid again to support this. The odds of my family or I ever setting foot in that building are slim at best. On top of that I'd have to pay to use it anyway. To those that support it, thanks a@@holes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 pm 

Can anyone advise if Rick D, Zeeshan, or Mike were councillors who voted in favour? If they were, why haven't they joined in by now to help us understand why? I only pick those three since they are obviously frequent contributors to the board and two of them have posted since Rick M brought this up.

Rick M - you were there, can you advise? And no, this isn't about making anything personal, I'm just asking since you were there and it was all obviously public, so this isn't any big secret.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm 

Anthony wrote:
According to this article, the additional $16 million is being funded by Sports Canada, and doesn't impact the town or the pocketbooks of residents. Roads and amendments are funded through development charges (which is what they're for), and the Town's capital commitment of $17.6 million remains unchanged. So it that respect it doesn't seem to be that big a deal aside from the increased use of development charges.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/articl ... Mo.twitter

Its a christmas miracle!

Doesnt cost us a dime! Wooooooooooo! Love the velotrex!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm 

I find it funny that Rick M. failed to mention that the town isn't on the hook directly for the extra cost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next