HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:52 am 

Does anyone here have hi-Velocity furnace? My Mattamy built semi has hi-Velocity furnace. I just got a new AC installed, however, my house temp doesn't seem to be going down. Yesterday, outside temp was 90 degs, and i had set my AC to bring down my house temp to 72 degs, however, the best my AC did was to bring it down to 78 degs (25.5 c).

My AC installer says it is because I have hi-Velocity furnace. Nothing wrong with the AC.

If you have a hi-Velocity furnace, can you please post what is your current house temperature - in deg F or deg C? I want to compare. Thanks for your response in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:43 am 

Is there good air flow from all the registers ?

Do you have a new / fresh less restrictive filter in the system that does not restrict air flow ?

Maybe you have attic insulation shortages or large voids in the attic insulation causing the second floor ceilings to get extremely hot.

Do all the air-returns suck air ? - use a paper towel to check.

If you have an HRV then it is vital that it is OFF. Hopefully you don't just think it is off but it is still running on override.

Are you keeping all the curtains / blinds / shutters closed ?

Have you closed some ( not all ) of the registers in the basement ( if you have a basement like your avatar suggests ) ?

If you do have a basement is the air-return open ?

If it is the Hi-Velocity brand product then it should be quite loud if the AC installers set it up properly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:51 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Is there good air flow from all the registers ?

Yes. Air flow is good.

Do you have a new / fresh less restrictive filter in the system that does not restrict air flow ?

Yes. Brand new - fiber only. However, I have removed it yesterday to see if no obstruction would help, but there was no change.

Maybe you have attic insulation shortages or large voids in the attic insulation causing the second floor ceilings to get extremely hot.

2-3 years ago, I got it re-filled. If things may have changed since then, I don't know.

Do all the air-returns suck air ? - use a paper towel to check.

Done. Return air sucks air. Paper gets sucked by the air return duct.

If you have an HRV then it is vital that it is OFF. Hopefully you don't just think it is off but it is still running on override.

It is off. I checked in the basement and the override button is turned off as well.

Are you keeping all the curtains / blinds / shutters closed ?

Yes, blinds and shutters are closed.

Have you closed some ( not all ) of the registers in the basement ( if you have a basement like your avatar suggests ) ?

All non-essential vents are closed.

If you do have a basement is the air-return open ?

I don't have one in the basement.

If it is the Hi-Velocity brand product then it should be quite loud if the AC installers set it up properly.

It is Hi-Velocity - not sure if the AC installer set it up properly - I can't validate that - not sure how I will know. I am guessing it was done right. They installed the block evaporation condenser coil in my furnace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:03 am 

There should be an air-return in the basement. Could be a round opening on the return plenum at the ceiling. You will want it open.

Only other suggestion is that the units fan setting may not be running on high speed or call back the AC company and insist that they come out to resolve the problem.

Yes, your new AC may struggle to keep the house cool during this heat wave but it should perform better that 78 degree C.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:13 pm 

Thank you Andy for your suggestions. I asked my AC guy to come, but he says if nothing is wrong with the AC, then I will get charged for a service call (visit). That's why I want to see what others are experiencing that have hi-Velocity (crap) furnace :)

Anyone with hi-Velocity furnace here? I want to compare and see what your home temp is today. Please let me know, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

So, my AC guy was here and I have been told that the air handler on the furnace is not blowing enough air to cool the coil - hence, low cooling in the house. The solution at this point I have been given is to change my furnace. Another big expense is on the horizon.

No one here on the forum has hi-Velocity furnace (tempmizer)? Anyone else had this or similar issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:18 pm 

We consistently had problems with out hi-volatility system in our village home. We ended up just installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Made a world of difference sleeping.

I know in the past people have suggested the fan powered air vents... but we never really got a true answer on it that every helped.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.cycl ... 44241.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:49 pm 

rino wrote:
So, my AC guy was here and I have been told that the air handler on the furnace is not blowing enough air to cool the coil - hence, low cooling in the house. The solution at this point I have been given is to change my furnace. Another big expense is on the horizon.

No one here on the forum has hi-Velocity furnace (tempmizer)? Anyone else had this or similar issue?

I have a feeling that the AC person you used did not set the fan setting correctly. Hi Velocity has a wholesale office here in Milton and their website lists Factory Trained Installers here in town. Just search - Canada - Ontario.

http://www.hi-velocity.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:05 pm 

Interesting to note that the manufacturer's site lists local "Field Trained Installers", not Factory or Service, one of which I wouldn't touch again with a barge pole.

If you have not yet called Mason at Nissan Air to get his advice at least, you should do so. I hope your AC guy didn't zing you for a service charge just to set you up for another (possibly unnecessary) sale. You may not yet be working with enough info here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 pm 

We have one of these things. Our AC is set to 22.5C at night and 23.5C in the day. If no one is home it’s set to 24.5C.

Still using the same AC that came with the builder.