HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:23 am 

I don’t even own a bike.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:08 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:09 pm 

The Dutch are known for using their bikes like we use cars, none of them are wearing helmets. how come?? No accidents there, and by the way..can we have the same bike lanes here, on busy roads like Thompson and Main.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQYP4WN ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOkqTDdt ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 am 

I debated with a couple of councilors when the issue of marking bike paths came in and they were of the view that marking the existing roads with white strips here and there (mixing light slow and fast heavy traffic )was a great idea and went ahead and did that and have been touting that as achievement.

buka wrote:
The Dutch are known for using their bikes like we use cars, none of them are wearing helmets. how come?? No accidents there, and by the way..can we have the same bike lanes here, on busy roads like Thompson and Main.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQYP4WN ... ure=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOkqTDdt ... re=related

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 am 

My entire family has helmets and we where them when we are out and about, it befuddles me why people and some children don't. Although I do see, teens mostly, with helmet on their head but not tied...what is the purpose of that? But sometimes I also think the more safety features we have, the more careless/carefree we become. We never had helmets as kids and road our bikes all over town (grew up in Brampton) as that was my main source of transportation. Nowadays people with helmets, run red lights and stop signs when no opposite traffic is coming...I am actually glad that I cannot physically ride my bike these days as it sure doesn't seem safe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:44 pm 

Double_Downon11 wrote:

Lol!! this is awesome!!!

What also bugs me is when you see parents riding with their kids - the kids wear the helmet and the adults don't.. way to lead by example.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:37 pm 

Double_Downon11 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:07 am 

We have about ten helmets at home. Saved me once and one of our kids.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 am 

I have one, my wife has one and we are shopping for one for our daughter (hard to find helmets that fit a petite 2 year old).

It's such a simple thing to wear that even if it was a small percentage of saving my brain/life, I'd wear it. I wouldn't say that I take more risks because I suddenly have a slab of Styrofoam strapped to my melon.

And though it wasn't a factor, I was glad I was wearing it when I got hit by a car a few years ago while on my bike.

All that being said, I'm ok with adults not wearing them if they choose not too. It's their choice. Just because they are too stupid to make the logical choice, doesn't mean it should be forced on them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:30 am 

If there is a bike helmet law and it is done to save the lives of kids, why isnt it enforced? Why do I see so many kids riding to school without helmets. Why if you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle do adults not have to wear them on bikes? The prov gov could make a pretty good case if they forced you to pay for medical care if you were injured in a bike accident and your injuries are the result of not wearing a helmet. Thats why it should be enforced!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:39 am 

badger68 wrote:
Why if you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle do adults not have to wear them on bikes?

This is a pretty silly argument. When you can go 300+ km/h on your pedal bike and accelerate from 0-100km/h in less then 4 seconds, then you can compare bicycles to motorcycles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 am 

ergocentric wrote:
Kevin&Amanda wrote:
badger68 wrote:
Why if you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle do adults not have to wear them on bikes?

This is a pretty silly argument. When you can go 300+ km/h on your pedal bike and accelerate from 0-100km/h in less then 4 seconds, then you can compare bicycles to motorcycles.

punching your motorcycle through the side of a left turning minivan, my greatest fear

why wear a helmet on a bike?

http://www.insidehalton.com/community/b ... cle/808855

While a bike helmet isn't a 100% guarantee that you'll live in a bicycling accident, it still increases your odds. It's like saying why wear your seat-belt since it doesn't save lives 100% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:56 am 

Kevin&Amanda wrote:
badger68 wrote:

Silly ?Why? falling off your bike at 30km can still crack your skull and/or kill you with no helmet. Obviously I am not comparing the power or speed of motorcycle to a bike but that is completely irrelevant to my point. You can obviously kill yourself a lot easier on a Motorcycle than a bike but that doesnt make a bike completely safe by comparison. There are still inherent risks to riding a bike. If the government is going to pay for your health care after a bike injury shouldn't they do everything they can to prevent injury or mitigate the damage in an accident?

Last edited by badger68 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 am 

What if a helmet gets in the way of your other headgear? Does the law trump religion?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:46 pm 

badger68 wrote:
If there is a bike helmet law and it is done to save the lives of kids, why isnt it enforced? Why do I see so many kids riding to school without helmets. Why if you have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle do adults not have to wear them on bikes? The prov gov could make a pretty good case if they forced you to pay for medical care if you were injured in a bike accident and your injuries are the result of not wearing a helmet. Thats why it should be enforced!

That's a pretty slippery slope if ever I saw one.

"Do what the government tells you, everything they tell you, no excuses, or else we won't pay for your medical care should something happen to you".