HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Selling a car in Ontario
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

I have a van that I want to sell but have never sold a car in Ontario before.
I posted the van on Kijiji just to see if I could get rid of it and have had several interested parties but all are asking to have it certified and etested. Etest is easy but what do they mean by certified? In quebec if the car is older than X (Cant remember exactly) - it had to go for a safety by the new owner before you could plate it. The seller could not do the safety. So does certified mean a safety by the current owner? If so, anybody know somewhere in Milton that does that - and how much???

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm 

You will probably also be asked to provide a CarProof Report.

https://www.carproof.com/home.aspx?gclid=CImtxtvX3rQCFYs7MgodnBEA-g

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:09 pm 

Check out this link directly from the MTO regarding the Safety Standards Certificate:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml#safety

This is what is referred to as "Certified". You are not required to sell your vehicle with this Safety and Emissions. You can sell it "As Is", at which point the vehicle will be transferred as "unfit" to the purchaser, leaving the onus on them to get the vehicle Certified and Emission Tested.

You can speak to Brian @ JNB Auto Center in Oakville for more information, as he performs both, the Safety and Emission test.

www.jnbautocenter.com

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm 

This page should answer 99.9% of the questions you might have. Stuff like getting a UVIP, e-testing, and safety etc.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... used.shtml

Long and short, if you don't feel like paying for a safety (its near $100 for the inspection) and whatever repairs it may uncover, just sell it 'AS-IS'. Keep in mind to register the car in ontario it has to pass a safety (and they expire 36 days after you get one) -- so either you get it done (and probably get more money, since there is less risk to the buyer) or you sell it as-is.

When you sell it as-is, you are probably going to reduce your number of interested parties by 80%. Because unless they know how to fix cars, they are unlikely to buy something they have no idea how much its gonna cost to fix.

If the tires are bald, crack in windshield, no breaks, etc etc.. its going to fail the safety. If the van is in good repair, then the safety is a formality -- go to TrueTech.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm 

Resurrecting an old thread here.....

Does anyone have any experience on selling a car back to a dealership - do you get screwed?
Thinking about selling a 3 year old Hyundai and I am trying to decide the best approach. I will be calling the dealership I bought it from at some point this week but I am looking for good/bad experiences, watchouts etc.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm 

jawesh wrote:

Does anyone have any experience on selling a car back to a dealership - do you get screwed?
Thinking about selling a 3 year old Hyundai and I am trying to decide the best approach. I will be calling the dealership I bought it from at some point this week but I am looking for good/bad experiences, watchouts etc.....

Most of the time you're not going to get top dollar from the dealer. That being said, if you are buying something new from them you will get some offsetting tax credit, and have a better chance of them offering a bit more on the trade (although typically this will reduce your negotiating power on the new buy). It's obviously far less hassle as well. So really it depends on the time and effort you want to put in. If you can manage to sell private, you are almost guaranteed to walk away with more. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:27 pm 

The stealership, I mean the dealership is always looking to capitalize on your loss. I just sold my car for $8000 e-tested and certified on autotrader.ca. Master Mechanic on Ontario Street does both (emissions test too) and fit me in right away. The dealership wanted to give me $5200...almost $3000 difference on the trade in compared to a private sale. The car had 53 000km and sold within a week. I was pressed for time and Master Mechanic accommodated me within 1 hour!!!! They were honest and said the car needed nothing (which I already knew), compared to other mechanics in town who said 3 days, with the hook line and sinker that the car might need some repairs!!!!! Everyone is looking to profit big from your loss.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:43 pm 

Be carefully if listing on Autotrader or Kijiji. I did it once and got some emails from strangers wanting to buy the car sight unseen for some relative overseas and all I had to do was cash a cheque someone was going to drop off. Just a scam of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:55 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
Be carefully if listing on Autotrader or Kijiji. I did it once and got some emails from strangers wanting to buy the car sight unseen for some relative overseas and all I had to do was cash a cheque someone was going to drop off. Just a scam of course.
:shock: Don't tell the Princess this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:31 pm 

I sold my 11 year old car 3-4 years ago privately. Dealership offered $250 and ended up selling for 4K

Sold my wife's car 2 years ago privately -- I think the dealership offered $1500 and I think I sold it for $4500. That one I sold it to some Nigerian guy (not kidding!) who was going to ship it overseas (not kidding). Fortunately he came to my house with real money and the bulk I had him pull out of an ATM in front of me. This is all before Tim Bosma's death. I think i'd accept a western union or paypal now before getting into some strange men's car from Nigeria.

It was the weirdest sale ever, he opened the back door, looked inside and said 'OK, I'll take it'. No test drive, didn't sit in the car, didn't open the trunk or the hood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 pm 

jawesh wrote:

All you'll get is the wholesale or "Black Book" value.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:11 am 

Devious wrote:
I sold my 11 year old car 3-4 years ago privately. Dealership offered $250 and ended up selling for 4K

Sold my wife's car 2 years ago privately -- I think the dealership offered $1500 and I think I sold it for $4500. That one I sold it to some Nigerian guy (not kidding!) who was going to ship it overseas (not kidding). Fortunately he came to my house with real money and the bulk I had him pull out of an ATM in front of me. This is all before Tim Bosma's death. I think i'd accept a western union or paypal now before getting into some strange men's car from Nigeria.

It was the weirdest sale ever, he opened the back door, looked inside and said 'OK, I'll take it'. No test drive, didn't sit in the car, didn't open the trunk or the hood.

Very common. These guys are fixtures at auto wreckers because they buy parts here to ship back to Africa to keep the cars there running. No problem with that as long as all is legit.

I wish it was easy to get used Japanese engines shipped here from Japan because those are prime cuts of meat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:26 am 

Thanks everyone for your input. I have not sold a car privately before and with it being a large transaction I don't want to get scammed. It sounds like most people go the autotrader route, I'm ok with that.

When it comes to the test drive, what would be considered "best practice". Thinking about the tragic Tim Bosma situation here.

Also, Devious mentioned Western Union and Paypal for the transaction. Is this what most people do?

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:46 am 

Western union was a joke -- it was more intended that I'd rather be scammed by Western Union than lose my life trying not to get scammed.

Test drive these days I'd scan/take a photo the ID and give them the keys vs. actually going with them.

Accepting funds, if the sale price was under 3K I'd ask for an Interact money transfer. If it was 5K or something, I'd want 2K cash, 3K Interact.

jawesh wrote:
When it comes to the test drive, what would be considered "best practice". Thinking about the tragic Tim Bosma situation here.

Also, Devious mentioned Western Union and Paypal for the transaction. Is this what most people do?

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm 

Devious wrote:
Western union was a joke -- it was more intended that I'd rather be scammed by Western Union than lose my life trying not to get scammed.

[/quote]

I just re-read that! I get it!!!

Thanks for the advice.