HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm 

Heard about this through the Mill St Facebook page, thought I'd share it for those interested. If I didn't have a baby to take care of I'd be there all afternoon :D.

http://www.livebaitalehouse.com/#!daily-features/cym3

All for a great cause as well, proceeds to support the Milton District Hospital

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:13 am 

Yet the staff has never heard of the movie Beerfest! wth lol, need that playing in background to encourage more drinking!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:50 am 

Hey

I ended up going to this and for those who didn't...missed out.
$25 and I expected that to get me a pint, the glass they mentioned and some grub...figured for charity so why not.
What it ended up being
$25 For
5 tables or so of food choices like onion rings, oysters, sliders, etc. The key is, no one cared if you wanted 1 slider or 3 and the lines were quick
10 plus tables of micro breweries where you can sample all their wares as much as you want.
Live band.
Ended up trying a great selection of beer, walking away with 4 beer glasses (given not stolen) and the mug at the end was a giant solid glass stein.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 pm 

I was in there this weekend too, albeit not for the beerfest.

The place was a pleasant surprise. A bright, light, modern approach to a bar that works really well. The TV's had sports on them, and wait for it..... the sports audio was being played. Not some cruddy muzak channel. (normally a major pet peeve of mine)

I hope the place succeeds.

Will go back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm 

martin prince wrote:
I was in there this weekend too, albeit not for the beerfest.

The place was a pleasant surprise. A bright, light, modern approach to a bar that works really well. The TV's had sports on them, and wait for it..... the sports audio was being played. Not some cruddy muzak channel. (normally a major pet peeve of mine)

I hope the place succeeds.

Will go back.

Yeah I really liked it as well. VERY nice to actually hear sports while watching! And the alligator bites were amazing! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm 

I'm so sad we couldn't be there Sunday.

We did go check it out Saturday night though and had an excellent experience! The husband had the Bacon Wrapped Pork Chop that was melt-in-your-mouth delicious! I had the Grilled Rainbow Trout, it was really fresh and had a yummy quinoa side, would order both again!

Beer selection is great, while my husband opted for Mill St Organic (on tap). I enjoyed a bottle of Granville Island English Bay (Pale Ale) and a bottle of Amsterdam Big Wheel (Amber Ale).

Add in a great server and we'd go back in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:18 pm 

Guess what this place is going to be now?
ANOTHER Indian food place. How much do Milton Indians eat? Fragging Paramount is in the same parking lot FFS. The shawarma & Indian restaurants are mind boggling.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 pm 

That Country Style donuts at Derry and 25 couldn't reopen fast enough as some kind of shawarma as well. Of course within 50M of the Indian that replaced the closed Royal Garden, plus 100M away is Silver Spoon, plus another shawarma, plus yet another dine-in Indian East of Food Port... Insane.

Wrong. Drove past today, there is a new Indian called Royal Paan right next to the still-open not-closed Royal Garden. Still, what the hell, why so much of this stuff??

Last edited by B&T402 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 pm 

The place called Pak Foods were Sears was.

Country Style donuts and Sears were dead ventures for sometime. And no baits for Ale, either.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 am 

Norts999 wrote:
Guess what this place is going to be now?
ANOTHER Indian food place. How much do Milton Indians eat? Fragging Paramount is in the same parking lot FFS. The shawarma & Indian restaurants are mind boggling.

Last time I checked, Paramount is Middle Eastern, not Indian.
I would much rather have a really good Indian restaurant than another Sushi or the casual family style dining like the crap we have in town like East Side Mario's, Kelsey's Boston Pizza or Turtle Jacks.
Khazana is from a famous chef from India that is branching out and beginning to open restaurants internationally. The food is great.

Also looking forward to Goodfella's opening up at Ontario and Main.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:56 am 

What's the average lifespan of a restaurant in that location? That building is like the palliative care for businesses.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

The biggest restaurant-consuming black hole has got to be the old post office building Main and Martin. Has to be the fifth attempt there in my memory. Saucy threw in the towel last fall, replaced by Splice, anyone been?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:17 am 

B&T402 wrote:
The biggest restaurant-consuming black hole has got to be the old post office building Main and Martin. Has to be the fifth attempt there in my memory. Saucy threw in the towel last fall, replaced by Splice, anyone been?

Rent must be astronomical. Place doesn't hold a lot of people either.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 am 

Splice, no. If a popular streetsville restaurant can't make it I'm not sure splice will either. It will be tough for restaurants to thrive in Milton. The huge influx of non drinking Muslims is pretty much a deal breaker for most conventional/western cuisine sit down restaurants. Without robust alcohol sales, a restaurant simply cannot survive.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 am 

Restaurants open and close down everywhere all the time. Fancy places in downtown Toronto are there one year gone the next. Nobody blames huge influxes of "non drinking Muslims" when restaurants close elsewhere - it makes no sense in Milton either. I mean, besides the live bait location and the saucy location, where are all these other "western" restaurants shutting down in Milton? In the 7 years I've lived here I see them opening up, not closing. Somehow, lone star, montanas, turtle jacks, Boston pizza, shoeless, etc. Have all managed to survive the "influx" that somehow managed to drive saucy, live bait, and the predecessors at those two locations out of business. Hmmm.

Is this "alleged" huge influx also responsible for the coming intermodal? Because that seems to have become an issue around the same time as well.....