HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nest Thermostat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:39 pm 

I happen to know the bulk but costs and it is definitely a hell of a lot more than a standard thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 pm 

Deep wrote:
I happen to know the bulk but costs and it is definitely a hell of a lot more than a standard thermostat.

Definitely, but my point is that it's probably worth it to Mattamy and they will soon be marketing their new builds as "Smart homes"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 pm 

Here's the thing - they don't have to. Why incur the costs when the houses are selling themselves with no negotiating?

I'd be surprised if they are including them. Although - I could check with my friend at Nest to see if they've got some sort of direct deal with them...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:15 pm 

Deep wrote:
Here's the thing - they don't have to. Why incur the costs when the houses are selling themselves with no negotiating?

I'd be surprised if they are including them. Although - I could check with my friend at Nest to see if they've got some sort of direct deal with them...

As said above, people at the Mattamy U meeting were already told they are including them.

I just want to know if they're also included in the towns as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:31 pm 

Well have to wait and see - I'd never believe anything about Mattamy until I saw it in person or in writing...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:43 am 

I got an email from Reliance recently that offered a free Nest thermostat for something... probably signing my life away for a protection plan, but maybe Mattamy is working a deal with Reliance or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 am 

gclark wrote:
I got an email from Reliance recently that offered a free Nest thermostat for something... probably signing my life away for a protection plan, but maybe Mattamy is working a deal with Reliance or something.

yep it;s to sign up to their protection plan...

and u probably have to pay for the NEST if you cancel it at any time...

can anyone get these for a decent price?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm 

I can confirm that all the new homes built by Mattamy will get the nest thermostats.. they mentioned it at the MattamyU plus I emailed the Customer care rep to confirm and she said the same thing that ALL the homes will be getting the nest thermostats installed..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:28 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me that the "free" nest thermostats come when you sign the paper work for reliance and it includes the protection plan...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
Deep wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me that the "free" nest thermostats come when you sign the paper work for reliance and it includes the protection plan...

So what? You have to sign the stupid reliance thing anyway - now you get a cool thermostat to mess around with instead of an ugly piece of sh*t dial thingy.

Mattamy is trying to get their customers something cool and useful - I know hating on Mattamy is the cool thing to do, but this isn't a bad thing.

The protection plan has a monthly fee - If you don't want to be paying $10+ a month more for a protection plan, that's the so what. You've got no choice for the water heater - you need that - but you don't need their protection plan...

Let's see what really ends up happening as people start to get it...

And who installs a manual "dial thingy" any more?? even the basic one is digital!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 am 

Dude - even you can read - I said that it wouldn't surprise me if it was given due to a subscription to the program. That program has a monthly fee. It's been said earlier that Reliance was putting in the Nest devices in if you subscribed to the program. So based on that, it's my opinion that given the program Reliance has, Mattamy is going to use it as a marketing ploy for themselves.

That's it. That's all - When's Mattamy done anything for free for their new home owners? I mean, even removing something, which means less cost of materials, ends up COSTING a new home buyer!

http://www.reliancehomecomfort.com/Pages/NEST.aspx

Holy sh*t! It's a $29.99 a month plan for 3 years! I sure hope this isn't the case for new home buyers - talk about a rip off...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 am 

You never know. It's the same deal they give with the "free alarm" as long as you sign up for 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:08 am 

Google would not pay over $2B for Nest when the company is worth only a fraction of that unless they had some greater purpose in mind. You will slowly see an intrusion of more and more devices and systems through Nest and other similar "thermostats" that will completely expose your personal lifestyle to Google and of course anyone smart enough to hack into the Milton Hydro system (or any other utility system). You think you got a fancy new programmable thermostat? Think again, you have provided a wide open portal to your lifestyle to the world. As a typical example, people will know exactly when you are home or not. Temperature down? Guess nobody is home. Better than scouring the newspapers for funeral times. Perhaps the elite techie few will be able to disengage the reporting function on these stats, but the vast majority will not do so, or even think they would have to do so.

Many years ago I was involved in a project called "Smart House". It was a joint effort between Canadian and US designers, thinkers, concept people and suppliers. A few homes were built both here and in the US. EVERYTHING was wired and computerized. All appliances, large and small, heating and cooling, lights, water heater and control, security systems, radio and TV plus untold other little gadgets and functions in a typical home. The information gathered (under the guise of letting the home owner control everything himself from a local or remote location) was astounding. In the end however, the extra costs required in building the homes added from 25% to 50% of the home costs and the project was quietly put out to pasture.

Would not surprise me if this Google/Nest thing is just another attempt to revive this original concept.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am 

Foreveryoung wrote:
Many years ago I was involved in a project called "Smart House". It was a joint effort between Canadian and US designers, thinkers, concept people and suppliers. A few homes were built both here and in the US. EVERYTHING was wired and computerized. All appliances, large and small, heating and cooling, lights, water heater and control, security systems, radio and TV plus untold other little gadgets and functions in a typical home. The information gathered (under the guise of letting the home owner control everything himself from a local or remote location) was astounding. In the end however, the extra costs required in building the homes added from 25% to 50% of the home costs and the project was quietly put out to pasture.

Would not surprise me if this Google/Nest thing is just another attempt to revive this original concept.

It's funny how things come around - well - no, it's not funny - it's timing and advancement. Yes the project you were in was too expensive - it was likely premature. More and more people are going for home automation, how else do you explain companies fully vested in selling the package, like Rogers - it's much more affordable now. IBM had a home management system decades ago (I still have some of the kits, new in their original box!). It didn't go anywhere - but it's going places now. IBM also created the all in one computer YEARS ahead of Apple - but their timing wasn't right. Apple did it better and look at the PC world now - there are TONS of options for an all in one computer, where people are actually asking for it now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm 

so you only get Nest for free if you sign up for $30 a month for 3 years????

Think I'll pass and buy it on my own. It will be cheaper that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next