HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Toronto Raptors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 pm 

The raptors are winners of 4 straight games, beating one of the elite teams in the NBA, and giving the Thunder their first home loss of the season... And I believe they are 7-3 since the trade. Now.they will be facing the Heat, Wizards, and the Pacers on their road trip. This time is making some noise in the NBA. Can't wait for them to face the Heat'...

Post subject: Re: Toronto Raptors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 am 

I still preferred the name 'Toronto Towers'... Stupid Spielberg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 am 

I think management was hoping that the team would continue to tank so they can get a shot at Wiggins, but it's been fun watching them win and restoring some sort of pride. It's looking like Gay was a roadblock to team success. They've won 8 of their past 10 games, and as messed up as it seems, they are now .500, yet first their division, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:24 am 

Great to have at least one home team playing well!
They have been crazy impressive as of late -- it's really fun to watch, which is great, because it hasn't been for a lonnnng time. These guys just enjoy being around each other.

The shot at Wiggins just isn't worth it. Yes, the draft is a pretty sold one this year, so even a top 5 pick would be nice, but with so many teams tanking, it's going to take a lot of effort to finish in last, and even then there's a close to 80% chance they still WON'T get him.

Enjoy this while we have it :) I don't even want to think about the P-word just yet...

search for Milton's Favourite Realtor!

REVEL REALTY -- MILTON'S FAVOURITE REAL ESTATE BROKERAGE, as voted by YOU!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:48 am 

Taking the long view I still think tanking is the right move, and I'm pretty sure that was the plan after the Rudy trade. They were apparently very close to trading Lowry to the Knicks for a pick when NY's GM veto'd it at the last second.

But man they are fun to watch right now!! Their D is excellent, and after tossing Rudy away, they are actually functioning properly on the offensive side. I can't believe it's only been 3 weeks since reading stuff like this from Simmons:

Quote:
....But advanced metrics hate any offense built around players unapologetically missing "long 2s," a.k.a. Gay-DeRozan syndrome. Through Tuesday's games, only two NBA teams placed two teammates in the top 10 for "most attempted long 2s" (anything between 15 and 19 feet): Toronto (Gay and DeRozan) and Washington (Beal and Wall). Beal had the lowest percentage of anyone in the top 50 (31.3 percent); Wall was second-lowest (33.3 percent). Jeez, even Gay (38.4 percent) and DeRozan (36.1 percent) are better than that — and they have a shooting syndrome named after them. Shoot 3s or go to the rim, young WPBTs. Trust the math. Avoid GDR syndrome.

Fred D wrote:
Enjoy this while we have it :) I don't even want to think about the P-word just yet...

I think it's a mathematical impossibility to not make the playoffs in the East this year. Heck, with Horford out, we can easily take 3rd seed...we're one LBJ injury away from being 3-1 faves to come out of the East ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm 

Demar still takes too many long 2's and can have a bit of tunnel vision, but it's not nearly as bad as when he had to compete with Rudy for shots. It's refreshing to see our young guys finally getting some time to develop. JV is finally finding his groove, and TRoss looked like a solid player last night. Nice to see them play such great defense and actually counter Indiana's runs with some solid posessions of their own. Here's hoping for a playoff appearance!! I'm not big on tanking anyways, we'd have to be on another level of bad to get a pick in the top 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 pm 

As a X season ticket holder, for the prior 5 years, all I can say if they "tanked"and got a high lottery pick it would be a few years befor they would be competitive and the fan base will not wait, in the postion they are in now they could not even fall far enough in the standings!

Losing breads losers...winning breads winners... one playoff round for a team that the average age is 24 would be better for the long term growth.

Willy

Go RAPS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 pm 

I can think of one team in the past 30ish years that won a championship without a superstar. Toronto doesn't have enough street cred to lure big time free agents (sorry Drake fans). We need to draft one. If we could somehow snag a top 5 pick next year, it would be perfect timing as we have a promising core of young guys that can all develop together.

I heard the Raps are gonna change their logo to a treadmill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 pm 

munchito wrote:
I can think of one team in the past 30ish years that won a championship without a superstar. Toronto doesn't have enough street cred to lure big time free agents (sorry Drake fans). We need to draft one. If we could somehow snag a top 5 pick next year, it would be perfect timing as we have a promising core of young guys that can all develop together.

I heard the Raps are gonna change their logo to a treadmill.

I agree. But the problem with young talent, is once they develop they are 99% of the time going to leave (look to McGrady, Carter, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 am 

Burrcold wrote:
But the problem with young talent, is once they develop they are 99% of the time going to leave (look to McGrady, Carter, etc.).

It's always a risk, for sure. But I think once we have the player(s) here, it's less of a challenge to keep them as opposed to trying to lure one over from another team (VC and Bosh both signed extensions while here, TMac left for a different reason altogether).

Who knows, maybe we keep up this hot streak, get past a round in the playoffs, and that's enough to land a big time free agent in the offseason? Possible, but I doubt that happens. If anything, I would still look to trade Lowry now, as his price should be skyrocketing now, and he is a free agent this year (with no certainty of resigning)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:02 am 

I have always drawn a comparison the Toronto Raptors = Columbus Blue Jackets.

Both teams are necessary for other teams to have more Friday, Saturday, and Sunday home games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 am 

Wyl wrote:
I have always drawn a comparison the Toronto Raptors = Columbus Blue Jackets.

Both teams are necessary for other teams to have more Friday, Saturday, and Sunday home games.

Lol. The difference between us and the Blue Jackets are that we have an excellent fan base, and it's just sad that the team doesn't have the street cred as Munchito says to attract big names, keep talent, nor get foul calls from the refs, who I think are all unfair in the way they call fouls (i.e. always give Lebron and Wade favourable calls, but stiff lesser teams' players).

Also, the large majority of premier players are American, or consider America home, so there's less of an inclination to be in Canada, which is too bad.

I think we have a decent core of players on the team now, and like any successful team, there needs to be good chemistry as well, and players who are willing to work hard. It seems like the team is coming together these days, and I particularly like guys like Amir Johnson who work hard, are positive, and embrace the city. Popeye Jones was like that too, as was Charles Oakley in the days of yore. Even Damon Stoudamire regretted leaving the Raps years later. I do not like assholes like Alonzo Mourning who refused to don our uniform after being a side order of soggy fries in a trade years back.

The only thing I don't like about our fan base is booing all the former star players who return. The Blue Jays are like that too for some reason. The best booing was the "Fire Wilson" chant among Leafs nation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 am 

The Raptors won again! It was a close game in the first half, but they broke open the game in the third quarter.. Defense was good. Now the true test, can they bring that same intensity when they face the Heat on Sunday and beat the Pacers again when they meet on Tuesday? Only one way to find out.. Lets go red lets go Raptors..........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 am 

I'm looking forward to watching them play Miami tonight, especially after the debacle from the Leafs game. Miami played last night, so hopefully the Raps can catch them tired and create even more noise in the league by winning.

I've noticed the team's bread-and-butter is still jump-shots though because they don't have a legit big man scorer in the calibre of a Howard, Perkins, or a Shaq, Yao and Bynum in their primes. Did anyone see Amir (my favourite Rap) nail a trey last game, lol?

I've found throughout their winning streak, as long as they are consistently hitting jump-shots, they have a chance to win. If Lowry, Ross and DeMar are shooting bricks, they almost always lose, and the odd baskets in the paint or point guard lay-ups are not enough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:43 pm 

If Lowry, Derozan, and Ross, are shooting bricks the raptors have a deep enough bench to go to. Salmon, Paterson, and the backup point guard proved they can win as well. When the raptors won against the thunder it was Salmons that took over the game and helped the raptors win that game... :-) tonight will be a true test. Wade might not play. The gram rats Wade in back to back games..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next