HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:22 am 

Hopefully this idiot calls an election. 280 billion in debt and she still thinks she has a mandate. Makes you want to puke.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:03 am 

Dont get me started. But the other problem is the alternative. Hudak has zero insight into running anything. Only thing he is good af is making faces like he is turning coal into diamonds !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm 

Lesser of the evils I think but you got to love the ndper who got elected and couldnt pronounce hogwraths name baffoons fight the unions I say but you got to be smart about it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:20 pm 

Hudak will do fine as Premier. Nobody likes the guy, but he’ll be competent at the job.

His main problem is the same one most conservatives have. Even though what they are proposing is often the right thing to do, they never get a fair break in the media. Everything they do is painted as mean, stupid, or scary. The harder conservatives try to defend their policies, the more they are painted negatively in the media. So what they do is retract. They avoid talking about what they would do, and come up with creative ways to talk about what they want to do without any details that can be spun against them.

“Right to work” is a perfect example. Although what he wants to do is rollback the grip unions have on the public service (in various ways), the media paints that as an attack on workers. They will report about nonsense, like “racing to the bottom” and other meaningless taglines that sound terrible if you don’t think about them. So what conservatives do is come up with red herrings. “Right to work” gets the idea across that they will scale back union power, without talking about anything that might result in a worker being worse off from it. It more difficult to be spun poorly in the media…..but it’s also meaningless. Giving people the right to leave the union is nice, but everyone knows nobody would do that. “Right to work” doesn’t result in stories showcasing some poor public servant and the hardships Tim Hudak would impose, but it also dosen’t show people how that would fix any of the problems the government is facing.

People see that, and get suspicious. It looks like they are hiding something. They assume the person is dishonest, an idiot, or both. They lose support.

What conservatives need to realize is that people ignore the media. They look at things through their own lens. Rob Ford proves that. Mike Harris proved that. When conservatives stand up for what they believe in, they do well. All Hudak needs to do is ignore the media, drop the stupid sh*t, and talk about what he wants to do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:20 pm 

You just convinced me to NEVER vote conservative. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:00 pm 

bremer wrote:
When conservatives stand up for what they believe in, they do well.

Just out of curiosity, can you name one? I can't. I guess "well" is subjective.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 pm 

PC are never popular in polls but seem far more competent than the Libs

Even NDP are more competent than the fair weather Libs (I am very anti-NDP but I do feel they actually have an idea and stick to it; I disagree with policy but I understand what they are about)

A vote for Lib is worse than not voting since you never know which way they will turn after the election

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 am 

Heres a thought. They're all the same.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:23 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
You just convinced me to NEVER vote conservative. Thank you.

Something tells me you never would have anyway.

redrider wrote:
bremer wrote:
When conservatives stand up for what they believe in, they do well.

Just out of curiosity, can you name one? I can't. I guess "well" is subjective.

I meant "well" in terms of electoral success, which is difficult to dispute. Mike Harris, Rob Ford, and Stephen Harper are all conservatives who have never pretended not to be.

Ernie Eaves, John Tory, and Tim Hudak avoided appearing conservative and lost (Well, Tory's a closet Liberal, so in his case it was genuine). When conservatives try to placate the media, they loose.

Although, federally being a conservative is much harder because of Quebec. In every province outside of there, real conservatives do rather well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:35 pm 

shawnrk1 wrote:
Even NDP are more competent than the fair weather Libs (I am very anti-NDP but I do feel they actually have an idea and stick to it; I disagree with policy but I understand what they are about)

I give the NDP points for not being corrupt two faced liars, which is all I've ever see out of any Liberal, ever. Every government has it's scandals, but the Liberals seem to have a particular knack for outright theft of the peoples money. I do believe the NDP at least believe in what they preach and have their hearts in the right place.

I have a hard time seeing how the NDP would be more competent. They pretty much openly hostile to business, so I can't see how doing everything in your power to persuade businesses to leave Ontario can be seen as competent. All you'll get from them is debit, job losses, and well intentioned ruin. I do agree that at this point, even that would be better then the liberals, who have given us nothing but debit, job losses, and self serving ruin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:02 pm 

bremer wrote:
I meant "well" in terms of electoral success, which is difficult to dispute. Mike Harris, Rob Ford, and Stephen Harper are all conservatives who have never pretended not to be.

The only real conservative of those 3 is Harris. Ford is only a fiscal conservative and Harper has no real conservative social stance and is hardly a fiscal conservative, especially before election time...nor has he ever done well in elections. It took Ignatieff to finally get him his majority(the guy who couldn't even win his own riding.)

I've got mixed feelings on Harris. Had he not made drastic cuts so fast I think he would have done well, and Ontario would be better off for it. On the other hand, Ipperwash, the 407 and some other privatization deals still piss me off to this day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:12 pm 

bremer wrote:
Hudak will do fine as Premier. Nobody likes the guy, but he’ll be competent at the job.

I'm not sure many are convinced of that. I see him as a guy who will do anything to cling to power, despite what he believes or what the PC platform is. I've never seen any real stance or substance from him, so I certainly don't see him as a leader. Wynne is looking worse than McGuinty so I wonder....could the NDP really be any worse? I gotta say federally I'm liking Mulcair more and more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm 

redrider wrote:
I gotta say federally I'm liking Mulcair more and more.

The biggest problem is that all these politicians don't have the background to run a province or a country. The province and country needs to be run like a well run business,not theBS we are seeing today. Unions this, public servants that, people need to understand that they don't have jobs for life and that merit increases are based on merit, not tenure or a union negotiation.

These yahoos don't have any understanding of spending our money. Ivan honestly say that I wouldn't give Harper the mandate to lead the way he wants to lead.you also have to understand that today's PC party is not the party we grew up with, they are more alliance than PC think of a more subdued tea party.

Hudak isn't fit to run anything, however Wynn and Harvath are not prime candidates either. Our pickings are slim.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 am 

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/17/un ... s-sid-ryan

Don't believe all the negative bullshit against hudak with unions backing liberals and ndp. Don't be so naive. Not one of these carpet munchers is talking about a balanced budget. Except hudak. 280 billion in debt and alls these morons do is think up of more ways to raise your taxes.

Good luck boys and girls.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:14 am 

bremer wrote:
Although, federally being a conservative is much harder because of Quebec. In every province outside of there, real conservatives do rather well.

Toronto has been tough for PC in federal elections for a while
And I do not think Ford is helping the cause whatsoever