HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mustang Owners
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 pm 

^^^^ that is one clean I-ROC! What's the power plant?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:44 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
We should set up a Hawthorne Villager car meet at some point this summer. Put some faces to the names around here, and talk cars!

Last edited by kkeshavan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm 

Mr. Mustang wrote:
^^^^ that is one clean I-ROC! What's the power plant?

1989 5.7L w/SLP runners, headers, and two out the left exhaust (Firehawk). Engine was rebuilt by Straightline Racing two years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:14 pm 

Bumping this thread after almost 4 years, lol.

Any 2015-current Mustang owners? I feel radical, and want to get a good red-blooded Coyote V8 GT with Premium Package, and enjoy it while we can still drive cars and pilot big engines.

For those who have the current generation style, I have a few questions:

1. Does it handle the GTA winters fine if you have snow wheels, or is it impossible to control in snow? A friend of mine has a Charger Hellcat, and he says he cannot get traction on that ride on snowy roads even with winter tires.

2. Would you recommend the manual or auto transmission? I'm leaning towards auto because I would want to use it as a daily driver and it will have Tiptronic. The auto is also faster on acceleration I think

3. Any reliability issues so far?

4. Are the ventilated seats cool enough in the summer?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm 

I have a 2015 GT with the performance package, manula transmission and the basic interior (not the premium package).

With snow tires on it works great in winter weather and snow. You can't put down full power on snow with snow tires (with any car) but I have never gotten stuck in the snow over the last couple of winters. Without the snow tires it would be undriveable in winter. The perfromance package puts Pirelli P Zero tires which begin to lose traction below 8C even in dry conditions.

Since the brake discs on the perfromance package are 15"+, I couldn't go with a basic steel wheel so I had to source some aluminum rims for the snow tires. The dealership couldn't help me with winter wheels but I ended up contacting PDQ Tire in Milton and Paul did a great job getting the wheels, tires, TPMS as well as the needed spacers.

I always prefer a manual transmisison which are harder and harder to find these days. It's a Getrag 'box and the shift action is good and 6th speed is absolutely overdrive (which means you can get below 10L/100KM on the highway...eventually). Wheter or not you would prefer an auto is up to you. I don't drive many KM (a little over 22K in 2.5 years owning it) and have to occaisionally drive from Milton to my office in downtown Toronto, but even in 401 traffic, I still prefer the manual. I think the current automatic is a few tenths quicker than the manual but the 2018 with the 10 speed auto definitely is. In spite of this I would still choose the manual.

It has been 100% reliable. No issues whatsoever. The only bills are for gas and tires. The rear P Zeros need to be replaced after a little over 20,000 KM and I haven't used the line lock yet, which I am saving for Spring before I put the new rear tires on.

Can't comment on ventilated seats, don't have them. In spite of the basic spec interior, it is well laid out, materials are pretty good overall (less hard plastic would be good), feels solidy put together - no rattle or squeaks - and overall it is really fun to drive.

No real criticisms, Ford did a great job on the car. I have't owned a Mustang before but based on the expeince with the on I have so far, I will consider getting another in 2019. I was looking at a WRX STi and BMW 240M when I ended up with the Mustang and have never regretted the choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm 

KevinFJB wrote:
I have a 2015 GT with the performance package, manula transmission and the basic interior (not the premium package).

Thanks so much for the wonderful information, Kevin! It's a nice looking vehicle. In snowy conditions like this morning, do you find starting out in 2nd gear helps in snow?

I'll wait for the Autoshow in Feb, sit in one and then enquire about pricing and such. I like both the fastback and convertible, but lean towards the fastback because it looks longer and sleeker, and there's something about ragtops that look less sophisticated vs. a colour-matched a hardtop I find.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm 

With snow tires, you only need to take it easy on the throttle and they will hook up. It has enough power to spin the wheels in the snow in almost any gear.

I'm with you - prefer coupe versus convertibles, but I would guess that Ford sells as many Mustang covnertibles as they do hard tops.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 am 

My mother had mustangs. Every winter dad would toss a couple big bags of sand in the trunk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:24 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
My mother had mustangs. Every winter dad would toss a couple big bags of sand in the trunk.

New cars are so much more balanced, that doing this usually leads to worse winter performance. It also messes with traction control and all sorts of safety nannies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:08 am 

Burrcold wrote:

New cars are so much more balanced, that doing this usually leads to worse winter performance. It also messes with traction control and all sorts of safety nannies.

Maybe. I don't know if 60 pounds of weight in the trunk of any front engine rear wheel drive car will make a difference or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:28 am 

Burrcold wrote:

Maybe. I don't know if 60 pounds of weight in the trunk of any front engine rear wheel drive car will make a difference or not.

Then why bring it up at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 am 

Talking to yourself Hodor :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am 

Sand bags or kitty litter are a good idea, if the intent is to help you get out if you get stuck. Not good if you are doing 80 and you end up hitting ice and are in a slide...the extra weight in the rear will swing you around like a pendulum (and again really screw with the traction control trying to do it's job).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 am 

Burrcold wrote:
Sand bags or kitty litter are a good idea, if the intent is to help you get out if you get stuck. Not good if you are doing 80 and you end up hitting ice and are in a slide...the extra weight in the rear will swing you around like a pendulum (and again really screw with the traction control trying to do it's job).

I guess. Never thought about it much. My mother had a 68 red mustang fastback and a 74 red fastback. Maybe that was a good idea at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 am 

Older rwd cars had zero help preventing wheel spin and slipping back then. So adding weight definitely helped to basically drive at all in the winter. The same dangerous principles applied then when it came to higher speed slides, but the positives of having the extra weight still outweighed having no load over the rear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next