HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:51 pm 

Today is "change my passwords" day, due to the Heartbleed bug. For those who aren't familiar, the short version is that due to a bug with very common open-source software it is best to assume that your password for web services has been exposed to hackers.

The slightly longer version is that because it is so widespread, you're not sure if the site you're on has been patched or not. So while the advice is to change your passwords pretty much everywhere, you need to be aware that you could be typing your new password into a site that is still potentially leaking passwords. Yikes.

So this post is twofold:
1. Rick, have you had a chance to review the server and patch whatever is needed? Did a quick search on PHPbb and Heartbleed, looks like it's a question of the web server encryption which only you would be able to tell us.
2. Encourage everyone to change their passwords on sites that have been patched. I've been using this list as a reference, took me about 90 minutes today. http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartble ... s-affected

You hear alot about hacks in the news. This one isn't of the "cry wolf" variety, everyone really should take this seriously.

-Pete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm 

Quick followup to this, my expectation is that this site is probably *not* affected by heartbleed, but again Rick would have to confirm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:51 pm 

Did a quick check, and according to the tool I used, this website comes up as being "not vulnerable." This means the SSL was detected and suspected not vulnerable. The tool I used comes from MacAfee, and available at: http://tif.mcafee.com/heartbleedtest?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=hawthornevillager.com&commit=Scan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:19 am 

This site is not affected by heartbleed.

Your traffic isn't, nor was it ever encrypted. Consider any activity/passwords associated with this site vulnerable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:21 pm 

This post is funny. How many of you actually thought that the password you've been using on this site is encrypted when sent?? Do you use https? I bet you don't. I don't think that Rick pays for a certificate for this domain, why would he bother, they're not cheap?

Remember that 90% of what you do on the internet is in the clear. If you email someone, you are sending a postcard, not a letter. Anyone whom that postcard passes on the way to its destination can read it. I bet that this statement alone is an eye opener to many.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:01 am 

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, my family and I down here to Madrid, Spain for a short vacation to visit a resort and got mugged at gun point last night at the park of the hotel where we lodged. All cash, credit cards and mobile phone were stolen from us. thank God we still have our passport ID with us, We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all, our flight leaves today and We're having problems settling the hotel bills, we still have some money in our account but we don't have access to it right from here.

The hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the hotel bills(€2,000 EUR)now am freaked out. Please reply and let me if can you have the money wire to us through Western Union we promise to pay back as soon as we get back home.

Regards

Justagirl :shock:

Anyone want to sending me some cash! Please save me :P :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

We don't use https on here...most forums don't as there are no credit card info being transferred back and forth and yes encryption isn't free.

Saying that, things may change in the future. Google is contemplating some changes which would push more sites (even non financial data ones) to use encryption

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm 

For those unaware, the Heartbleed bug allows an attacker to "request" 64KB of data from the memory of the web server. The data in memory has already been decrypted. The attacker can get 64KB of data, then make the request again and get another 64KB. The block of data that it gets is fairly random so it's impossible for an attacker to systematically probe the entire contents of the server's memory. That's the good news. The bad news is that within a single 64KB block, you may be able to mine lots of info about a particular person (a password and anything else exchanged during a recent transaction).

The other problem is that the server would not log anything about the request. This is why people are in a bit of a panic - nobody knows whether a particular server was ever attacked. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. You can't say for sure. The vulnerability has been there for 2 years.

The gc.ca site did announce the leak of ~900 SIN numbers. I can't see how they would know this directly. It's possible that all their traffic is going through some 3rd party which was able to do some level of traffic monitoring. If that's true, it could also have captured source IP's which could help identify who attacked the site. Maybe the RCMP is investigating.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm 

justagirl wrote:
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, my family and I down here to Madrid, Spain for a short vacation to visit a resort and got mugged at gun point last night at the park of the hotel where we lodged. All cash, credit cards and mobile phone were stolen from us. thank God we still have our passport ID with us, We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all, our flight leaves today and We're having problems settling the hotel bills, we still have some money in our account but we don't have access to it right from here.

The hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the hotel bills(€2,000 EUR)now am freaked out. Please reply and let me if can you have the money wire to us through Western Union we promise to pay back as soon as we get back home.

Regards

I assume this was not a real request? :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm 

Gecko wrote:
The gc.ca site did announce the leak of ~900 SIN numbers. I can't see how they would know this directly. It's possible that all their traffic is going through some 3rd party which was able to do some level of traffic monitoring. If that's true, it could also have captured source IP's which could help identify who attacked the site. Maybe the RCMP is investigating.

Wow, just a lucky guess on my part but it was bang-on:
http://ca.reuters.com/article/idCABREA3 ... F1KS-OCADN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
justagirl wrote:

Regards

I assume this was not a real request? :?

This is not a real request ~ It's a scam alert ~
Didn't mean to alarm you
Just trying to say, if you fall for an email from a friend like this
You will lose your money
and if you respond the hacker will likely take your money then gain access to your email account and repeat process
If you do see this in your emails or if this happens to you. You are to notify the police.

This is an email scam/virus that a friend has open via an email (they will insert your friends name like the email came from him/her)
The hacker then takes your friends email address's, and sends a similar email (to the one above) out to everyone your friend has ever emailed
He also takes over the access of your friends email account, inhabiting them access
By the time your friend gets access to his account, the hacker has erased all his contacts
And hopefully his/her friends and colleges are smart enough not to send any money