HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
I wonder what the person is doing with the bin that has my house number spray painted in huge numbers on it.

We're spooning.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:54 pm 

That was funny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm 

Our truck comes by at 6:57 am and I am not getting up an hour earlier to put the bins out, I have to load all 8 of them in the back of the truck and drive them to the road, if I don't have to plow snow first just to get out. Putting the bins on the grass results in them not being emptied since the grass is to far from the road. This won't fly in winter anyway since the snowbanks are 4 feet high.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am 

It is just too complicated for the average person to grasp but:
1- Do not fill blue box up to the very top (or worse have it overflowing). If you need a second (or third) box get one.
2- Do not leave very light things hanging over tops of boxes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:41 am 

bremer wrote:
My wife on the other hand, is far more typical of the average person. She won’t do a f****** thing. And it’s not because she’s stubborn – it’s that she can’t keep even these mind boggling simple requirements straight. She will not break any cardboard boxes down. If she does, she leaves the (cereal box) plastic liners inside. She cannot remember if a coffee cup goes in the green, or blue bin. If she puts it in the green bin, the plastic lid goes with it. She cannot understand why plastic goes in the blue box, but not plastic bags or wrap.

If I bitch at her for it, she apologizes, corrects her mistake, and then invents another. She is incapable of keeping the rules straight, and I think she’s more the norm then the exception to the rule. My neighbor can’t seem to make the connection that every time he puts styrofoam in the blue box, it doesn’t get taken.

Halton gave out those stickers for the blue/green boxes that show what goes where
(Although I do agree its strange sometimes what goes in, even some items labeled as "recycle" are not accepted by Halton region which I am sure just further confuses some)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 am 

You assume she would look at the sticker.

Simplifying the instructions is good, but unless you simplify the process it will never work for most people. They just don’t care.