HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 am 

Infants raised on iPads have trouble using building blocks, teachers say

Maybe parents should rethink giving their children a tablet this holiday shopping season, especially if their lifestyle makes it difficult to limit use to such devices. Members of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers are speaking out against overexposure to tablets, warning that a growing number of infants aren't developing the proper motor skills to play with building blocks due to their "addiction" to tablet PCs and smartphones.

According to a report in the U.K.'s The Telegraph, teachers claim that three- and four-year-old children know how to swipe a screen just fine, but beyond tablet controls, they lack dexterity in their fingers after spending hours a day playing on the iPad.

"I have spoken to a number of nursery teachers who have concerns over the increasing numbers of young pupils who can swipe a screen but have little or no manipulative skills to play with building blocks or the like, or the pupils who cannot socialize with other pupils but whose parents talk proudly of their ability to use a tablet or smartphone," Colin Kinney, a teacher from Northern Ireland, told the The Telegraph.

The article makes several references to Apple's iPad and iPhone devices, though the concern isn't limited to those specific models. It just so happens that Apple holds a large share of the mobile market and so iPads and iPhones are more prominent. However, it's a problem that extends to mobile gadgets in general.

Teachers have also noted a decline in pen and paper exams, saying that kids who spend a lot of time using mobile gadgets rely on the instant support of their electronic device.

The obvious way to combat against all this is for parents to do a better job monitoring and limiting the amount of time their children are allowed to use tablets and smartphones. In addition, teachers recommend turning off Wi-Fi access at night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... ction.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:10 am 

Quote:
but have little or no manipulative skills to play with building blocks or the like, or the pupils who cannot socialize with other pupils

Oh boy, wait till they start to drive cars :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm 

That article only cites anecdotal evidence. I didn’t read it word for word, but I didn’t see any references to any scientific studies.

This story is about as reliable a source as the people who claim vaccines cause autism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:21 pm 

Overexposure to *anything* is detrimental by definition. Otherwise it is just *exposure*
I'd also submit to look at the adults around you addicted to the i-gadgets. I think dexterity and motor skills were problematic long before the invention of i-gadgets.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm 

I just had this arguement with my wife...

It's said using an iPad is "Overexposure". But I say it's children developing a new skill set. And by limiting your child not to use a tablet you are letting other children get ahead in that new skill set. So you are actually limited your kids future skill set.

Could you imagine if every parent has stopped every child from playing there 8bit Nintendo in the 90's... the $25 billion gaming industry would not be what it in today. Or you simply limited your kid from joining that industry because they were not allow to develop that skill set to join and get a job.

People maybe call it overexposure, but I say look at playing with a tablet as progressively developing a new skill set for your child. Just because we were never exposed to as a child ourselves means it bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 pm 

Wyl wrote:
Could you imagine if every parent has stopped every child from playing there 8bit Nintendo in the 90's... the $25 billion gaming industry would not be what it in today.

Perhaps also, far fewer kids with ADD.

That was nothing compared to what is available today.
I tried playing some games on a modern console and a few of them were so visually overwhelming that I had to stop.

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Non draco sit mihi dux!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 pm 

lxor wrote:
[Perhaps also, far fewer kids with ADD.

BAH, I had the worst case of ADHD you could have as kids go... and all I had growing up before nintendo was lego...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 am 

lxor wrote:
Perhaps also, far fewer kids with ADD.

You want fewer "cases" of ADD? Stop coddling kids. Stop feeding them 19 types of sugar with every meal. Start teaching them to be responsible for themselves and their things.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 am 

My 5 year old lives on the iPad, and as a result she won't shut up. She feels the need to spit out useless random facts as if I crave it. Her motor skills are fine too, she's gotten long things and shove them into round things simulating a streering wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:40 pm 

Self-centered views based on zero evidence, from not exactly disinterested parties:

a teacher from Northern Ireland, said colleagues “talk of pupils who come into their classrooms after spending most of the previous night playing computer games and whose attention span is so limited that they may as well not be there”. "

“I have spoken to a number of nursery teachers who have concerns over the increasing numbers of young pupils who can swipe a screen but have little or no manipulative skills to play with building blocks or the like, ..."

... he said the “brilliant computer skills” shown by many pupils was “outweighed by their deteriorating skills in pen and paper exams because they rely on instant support of the computer and are often unable to apply what they should have learned from their textbooks”.

“It is our job to make sure that the technology is being used wisely and productively and that pupils are not making backward steps ..."

These guys sound like a bunch of Luddites to me ... in both the original and contemporary senses of the word.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:56 pm 

Wait, am I a Luddite?

I'm in front of the computer most of the day, yet I believe that most of new technology is utterly useless and complicates peoples lives.
Much time have I spent maintaining technology, for little benefit it seems (except the times I was paid to do it).
Perhaps if people developing new technology could be made to suffer perfecting it, the situation might be somewhat different.
No doubt some technologies in the end are very valuable, I just prefer to wait.
My tablet sits in the corner gathering dust, I choose a full screen and a mechanical keyboard.

On the matter of "not exactly disinterested parties" same argument could be made against those pushing technology.
How many such people derive their income from creating new technology?
How many people arguing pro technology in this thread derive their income from creating/maintaining technology?

Of course media derives good income from fear and controversy, hence the article.

Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Non draco sit mihi dux!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm 

lxor wrote:
On the matter of "not exactly disinterested parties" same argument could be made against those pushing technology.
How many such people derive their income from creating new technology?
How many people arguing pro technology in this thread derive their income from creating/maintaining technology?

Of course media derives good income from fear and controversy, hence the article.

Most "income through technology" is simply how much personal info you can exploit and how badly you can spam the users before they revolt