HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Antenna Installation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:28 pm 

Hi all, can someone recommend an installer for an antenna I intend to purchase from Save and Replay. I have a couple of leads but was hopeful to hire someone local and recommended.

Post subject: Re: Antenna Installation
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 pm 

Hi Dan,

Try John at Mohawk TV out of Campbellville. His number is 905 854 2116.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm 

PM me your email and I can recommend. Great person who installed the antenna for me at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:08 pm 

I've installed mine in attic and works fine; no need to go on the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:37 pm 

Spirit30 wrote:
I've installed mine in attic and works fine; no need to go on the roof.

What system do you have in your attic? What channels are you pulling in? I always heard that a roof install is far more reliable. Who did the install?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 pm 

I did the same thing.

I've got an all-Channel Master rig. I put a 2-zone antenna in the Attic on the highest part of the roof truss, pointing south-east. That feeds into a Channel Master pre-amp and then the RG6 line runs down into my basement where I've got an 8-way Channel Master amp/splitter feeding various rooms. It's a pretty simple set up really. I get between 17-20 channels depending on the ATSC tuner.

Having said all that, I also have a 3/8 plywood roof covered by a single layer of shingles. That's the standard Mattamy roof (so if you're in a relatively new Mattamy, you'll likely have the same thing). Most VHF/UHF signals won't have much of a problem getting through that. But doing it this way does introduce the possibility of running into problems - for example, you may have roofers install a second layer of shingles in 10 years and suddenly realize that your TV doesn't work. Of course the upside is that you don't have an ugly antenna visible and no worries about wind or the elements affecting it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 pm 

Gecko wrote:
I did the same thing.

I've got an all-Channel Master rig. I put a 2-zone antenna in the Attic on the highest part of the roof truss, pointing south-east. That feeds into a Channel Master pre-amp and then the RG6 line runs down into my basement where I've got an 8-way Channel Master amp/splitter feeding various rooms. It's a pretty simple set up really. I get between 17-20 channels depending on the ATSC tuner.

Having said all that, I also have a 3/8 plywood roof covered by a single layer of shingles. That's the standard Mattamy roof (so if you're in a relatively new Mattamy, you'll likely have the same thing). Most VHF/UHF signals won't have much of a problem getting through that. But doing it this way does introduce the possibility of running into problems - for example, you may have roofers install a second layer of shingles in 10 years and suddenly realize that your TV doesn't work. Of course the upside is that you don't have an ugly antenna visible and no worries about wind or the elements affecting it.

What is your Channel Master Rig? Did you run two separate antenna and combine the signal to attain a 2-zone?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 am 

Dan Drmanic wrote:
What is your Channel Master Rig? Did you run two separate antenna and combine the signal to attain a 2-zone?

No, it's a simple 4-bay antenna (CM 4221) feeding into a CM 7777 Titan2 Pre-amp. That runs down a conduit into my basement "control centre" :) and into a CM-3418 amp/splitter (8-way) that then feeds a bunch of rooms in the house.

The funny thing is I'm not even a cord cutter, I still have cable on a parallel network in the house (using a separate CM-3418). The antenna thing was a quick one-day job to setup and it's fun to play with. And I can choose antenna or cable from any of my TV's. Usually, if you can get something through antenna, the quality with be noticeably better.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:00 pm 

So I just installed an in attic antenna with a channel master preamp and my scan came in with 34 channels. Haven't filtered through them yet, but I am extremely happy with the results.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:45 am 

I just cut the cord myself about a month ago and got an antenna with amp installed at my house. Save and Replay did the installation for me - I was apparently the very first install of the year.

I get 28 channels on every TV in the house - antenna is mounted outside at highest point of roof. I live at Derry & 9th line.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 pm 

To anyone who has installed an antenna, how do you watch hockey and nfl? Looking at going with an attic antenna (db8e) but not sure if I will receive enough nfl games ota.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 am 

For NFL games you should get NBC, CBS and possibly fox from the United States. That should cover the majority of your OTA NFL games. I moved from Milton to Cambridge and I don't get as many US stations as I did in Milton so I setup a us vpn account and an additional router to server us ip addresses. NBC streams their NFL games to US customers for free. CBS and Fox are following suit so that is how I watch football now and the quality is awesome.

I highly recommend John from Mohawk for antennae installation . He did my house in Milton and in Cambridge.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 pm 

I am able to catch all the major broadcast feeds from Buffalo (ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX) as well as a few from Rochester. This should have you covered for most games, if you want Sunday Ticket you will need to order it through a provider.

I'm sitting pretty at about 40 channels, which covers all of my basic cable package channels and a few others. If you are really into speciality channels the antenna will be a huge disappointment.

PS ... Don't waste your money on the DB8e as it is multidirectional which you won't see huge gains from for Milton. I use the DB4e with amazing results. It has a 60 degree coverage angle which should cover Buffalo, Toronto, Hamilton and Rochester (if you are lucky).

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:10 pm 

Thanks for the responses. We are thinking of going with an antenna, nhl gamecentre and netflix combo (with vpn) however not sure if it's worth the hassle. We really only watch hockey and the occasional nfl game.

What type of nfl games do you normally catch ota? Is it just the Bills games?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 pm 

Because I have Buffalo/Rochester feeds of CBS, FOX, ABC and NBC. It guarantees Bills games unless they are blacked out, but those feeds also carry the nationally televised games for each station. You are usually looking at 3 or 4 Sunday day games per week.

Be aware however that any NFL network or ESPN games would not be televised OTA.