HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mat leave process
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:53 pm 

Hello mothers, and any fathers who are familiar with this process. My wife will be going on mat leave in about 2 months. Since this is our first child, we are not aware of the mat leave government/EI/etc... process. Can anyone shed some light on what to do to be covered and get $ while on mat leave? there is a lot of info on the internet and many contradict each other. if you have time. thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mat leave process
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm 

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/maternityparental.shtml

Everything you need to know. Straight from the most accurate source. All questions answered. All forms available.

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:34 pm 

Also check with HR/benefit coordinator as many companies provide additional benefits while on mat leave in addition to your EI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm 

The Home Hunter wrote:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/ei/benefits/maternityparental.shtml

Everything you need to know. Straight from the most accurate source. All questions answered. All forms available.

That's the LEAST accurate source lol
You're best off going into the unemployment office with your wife's ROE (Record of employment) after your baby is born (can't be done before) and asking them to set you up.
The website is a HUGE pain (and I normally love doing everything online) so don't even bother with their PIN numbers and passwords. Also, have them set up direct deposit.
It takes about an hour to stand in line while it takes an entire afternoon (between trying to get your newborn to sleep and tiptoeing around the house looking for documents lol) to try to figure out what they want from you online.
They also take a few weeks to start the payments but will pay retroactively.
The one thing that IS easy online though is the all-in-one birth registration to get your baby's OHIP/SIN/Birth certificate (you'll want to order the short and long form birth certificate). You need it for their passport and having the OHIP card re-issued at 2 years old.
The all-in-one form also sets your wife up for the child tax benefit ($100/m until the child is 6) and the "other" benefit (can't remember what it's called) which is a lot less but they get it until 18.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:58 pm 

She'd do well to pre-plan as much as she can with her employer's HR department. Service Canada has absolutely zero idea if she's going to be getting any kind of "top-up" or how her benefits package may have to be worked. Is it suspended? Can she pay her share directly, since there may not be payroll deductions? Has she given her notice/intention to her employer? In writing? Are they holding "her" job, or "a" job? Who's responsible for keeping her up-to-date regarding employment opportunities within the company?
The list goes on forever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 pm 

Her employer should provide her with her ROE and should also submit it to Service Canada (confirm this process with the HR dept of her employer).

Apply for EI the day after her last day of pay (if you're unsure her employer will have filled this in on the ROE).

My number one piece of advice though is if she has any concerns at all don't be shy to ask questions of her employer and/or Service Canada. I had to get down right pushy on my first mat leave when my ROE was lost and my claim was delayed by close to 3 months!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:43 am 

I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you very much. I have taken note of all your comments and also shared them with my wife to contact HR to get the details you've mentioned. Also, we will refer to the hyperlink and the other information about Service Canada and the unemployment office. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm 

My wife and I are about to go through this. Maybe someone can help clarify if anyone has gone through something similar since we found it impossible to get someone on the phone from the gov.

My wife is pregnant with twins due around the end of August but its been pretty taxing on her, now that she is getting close. Her doctor recommended leaving work early since shes been having trouble staying awake behind the wheel due to a hard time sleeping. She has a note from her doctor, and her last day of work will be this Friday. The plan is to go on sick leave from now until the babies are born, and then she will take her mat leave. Her employer is taking care of sending her ROE to Service Canada.

Our understanding is to apply for EI for sickness now, and then apply for mat leave once the babies come home. Any additional advice? Did anyone who needed sick leave prior to delivering need to get their doctor to fill out any additional paperwork?

Is this stuff we can do in the Service Canada office? I called the Milton location and explained, and the lady just rudely interrupted me and said "we renew drivers licenses and stickers, we don't do that" and hung up, despite the fact that their website says they handle this stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:42 pm 

nspace wrote:
My wife and I are about to go through this. Maybe someone can help clarify if anyone has gone through something similar since we found it impossible to get someone on the phone from the gov.

My wife is pregnant with twins due around the end of August but its been pretty taxing on her, now that she is getting close. Her doctor recommended leaving work early since shes been having trouble staying awake behind the wheel due to a hard time sleeping. She has a note from her doctor, and her last day of work will be this Friday. The plan is to go on sick leave from now until the babies are born, and then she will take her mat leave. Her employer is taking care of sending her ROE to Service Canada.

Our understanding is to apply for EI for sickness now, and then apply for mat leave once the babies come home. Any additional advice? Did anyone who needed sick leave prior to delivering need to get their doctor to fill out any additional paperwork?

Is this stuff we can do in the Service Canada office? I called the Milton location and explained, and the lady just rudely interrupted me and said "we renew drivers licenses and stickers, we don't do that" and hung up, despite the fact that their website says they handle this stuff.

Any help would be appreciated!

Does her work have short term disability benefits? One of the ladies who reported to me had twins last year and she was put on rest by her doctor about 2 months before due date (although it was twins, so they came early by a few weeks.) She went on STD and the company paid her through benefits, and then maternity leave (and EI) started when the twins were born.

Id there are no STD benefits at her company, I assume your EI plan makes the most sense, but would be unfamiliar with that since it doesn't apply at my company.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 pm 

Thanks! Her company does but she is not on their benefit plan because it mostly sucks and isn't company paid, so she is on my benefits (which are far better) but I don't think STD extends to spouses or dependents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm 

nspace wrote:

Not to excuse her rudeness, but it sounds like you dialed Service ONTARIO by accident.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 pm 

Could be. I will double check tomorrow during office hours. I think my wife is just going to go to the location near her office. Hopefully they can help clarify everything.

If we can get this sorted, and luckily avoid getting redirected to Mount Sinai for size difference between the babies, it should be clear sailing to the finish!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 pm 

nspace wrote:
If we can get this sorted, and luckily avoid getting redirected to Mount Sinai for size difference between the babies, it should be clear sailing to the finish!

I TOTALLY recommend Mt Sinai even if it means traveling, their facilities are pretty dated but their staff is great. They were more than helpful and if your wife needs a c-section, they do "natural c-sections" which is pretty much the same experience as a natural birth (cutting the cords, holding them right after they're born). They assembly-line c-sections there, so they're pretty comfortable with them, which makes you feel really comfortable.
As for when to go on EI, delay it as long as humanly possible (usually the babie's birthday lol), your wife's job will only be protected for that 52 week period and if she goes early, she'll also have to go back before they turn 1. If they're not sleeping through the night yet, your lives will be a living hell. (It's a nice hell though, you won't want to change it for the world :wink: ) Infant childcare is also super expensive, so one month could mean the savings of a few thousand dollars. If your wife's work offers any kind of sick leave, even if it's unpaid, it's still better than taking EI early.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 pm 

Oh I have no problem going to Mount Sinai, it seems top notch. Its more of an issue that if we get sent there from Credit Valley High Risk (had to go here because Milton won't deliver twins) its indicative that somethings wrong and it will just mean more stress. C-section is definitely a possibility, but both babies are head down (30 weeks) so we're hoping they stay that way! Either way I'm sure we will deliver in the OR just in case.