HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 pm 

Anyone know where I can pick up an American Standard replacement toilet flapper locally? (See photo below)

http://m.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Flapper-and-Chain-with-Float-7381129-200-0070A/204120830

I can't seem to find this flapper anywhere in Canada. It is only available to purchase in the USA. I picked a similar one up at Home Depot but it does not work. My toilet does not flush properly and often flushes on it's own. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:36 pm 

newhomeowner101 wrote:
Anyone know where I can pick up an American Standard replacement toilet flapper locally? (See photo below)

http://m.homedepot.com/p/American-Standard-Flapper-and-Chain-with-Float-7381129-200-0070A/204120830

I can't seem to find this flapper anywhere in Canada. It is only available to purchase in the USA. I picked a similar one up at Home Depot but it does not work. My toilet does not flush properly and often flushes on it's own. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Wow! I've been experiencing the same problems you have but didn't know it was related to the American Standard flapper. It would be great if someone had a lead as to how we could one locally.
Would HD US ship to Canada I wonder?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:37 pm 

Try Noble Trade (lots of plumbing supplies)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=noble+trade+milton&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_XS7U4O9A-LL8geSrYGwCQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:02 am 

I had the same flapper problem - the issue is that unless its a perfect fit, it will still leak... I ended up changing the entire toilet because the stack couldn't be replaced either without issues as the cheaper builders crap was all plastic.

plus, the newer right height toilet elongated with 1/3 less water usage per flush was attractive...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 am 

I got mine at Home Hardware on Steeles - fit perfectly and worked like a charm. Until 2 weeks later I noticed 3 smaller-than-pinhole leaks coming from the plastic supply stack. Now with the flapper fixed, the tank would slowly fill up without draining through the leaky old flapper, and if not used for a few days the tank would actually overflow.
I have a temporary gorilla tape solution in there for now, but MAN these things stink. I guess I might as well replace this one too.
It's a shame, my grandmother's house has a 30+ yr old toilet flushing fine... and ours aren't even lasting 10 yrs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am 

We were able to find the exact replacement flapper with float at Rona.

Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Lowes do not carry it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:32 am 

Thanks everyone. I am heading to Rona tonight!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 pm 

newhomeowner101 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I am heading to Rona tonight!

Please advise if you found one because I was there on weekend and didn't find one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:03 am 

I'm having the exact same issue but with a Crane toilet.

At first it seemed like the flush valve was kaput because the water would overflow into the overflow tube. I tried to adjust the exisiting flush valve to no avail. Next I replaced the entire flush valve with a new one. Things seemed great for a month or so, problem solved.....or so I thought. A month later we noticed we were experiencing what some of you had mentioned. Pin hole leaks, toilet flushing on its own.

I picked up a universal flapper (I forget the brand off hand) at Home Depot. The story gets better. As I was installing the new flapper I ended up breaking the cheap plastic arm of the flush handle. Back out I headed for a new one. I bought a metal one. More durable and kinda prettys up the toilet. I got everything back together but alas, the toilet still leaks and flushes on its own.

Anybody found a fix for this yet? In the end is it just a poor fitting flapper?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:30 am 

After going through an identical situation, we just got fed up and replaced our whole toilet. Won't be long before we do the same thing with the other two in the house.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
After going through an identical situation, we just got fed up and replaced our whole toilet. Won't be long before we do the same thing with the other two in the house.

Yes, I often take my car to the wreckers when I get a flat tire. Talk about overkill!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 am 

VCola wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:

Yes, I often take my car to the wreckers when I get a flat tire. Talk about overkill!!!

It's not overkill. The American Standard/Crane toilets that come standard in Mattamy homes are the shittiest toilets out there. Ask any plumber and they will recommend just replacing them with a higher quality one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 am 

VCola wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:

Cost of plumber and internal parts exceeded the cost of a reliable new toilet. Don't comment if you don't know what you are talking about. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:48 am 

Foreveryoung wrote:
VCola wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:

Cost of plumber and internal parts exceeded the cost of a reliable new toilet. Don't comment if you don't know what you are talking about. :shock:

First off if you need a plumber to replace a flapper you probably need your mommy to spoon feed you too.

Second of all my brother is a plumber and when I was having the same issue with one (out of three) of my toilets he suggested replacing the flapper, not the entire toilet. I replaced the "guts" with quality parts and haven't had an issue since.

Turns out you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Good day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:52 pm 

VCola wrote:

First off if you need a plumber to replace a flapper you probably need your mommy to spoon feed you too.

Turns out you're the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Good day!

Ever occur to you that there might be a disability involved? Maybe you need your mommy to teach you some manners.