HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Toilet trap primer?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm 

Hi,

I recently moved into a Mattamy home in Milton. I noticed that the main floor toilet has very little water in the actual toilet bowl. After looking in the tank, there is an extra clear tube connects with a “t-fitting” to the refill tube. It appears all the water is directed to the basement where the water I fed into two black pipes. I have attached some pictures. After some research, I figured that the tube is a seal primer. Am I right? Is there any way to hook it up differently so that there is water in the toilet bowl? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Attachment:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 109.52 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]
Attachment:
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 48.02 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]
Attachment:
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 50.93 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

Post subject: Re: Toilet trap primer?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:13 pm 

That clear line feeds water into the trap for your basement floor drain. Back in the day, the trap on the basement floor drain could dry out and allow smells to come up from the sewer line. In newer housing, both the A/C and the furnace drain into the floor drain so it can't dry out. I removed that line altogether.
Having said that, I'm not sure that primer line is what's causing the level problem in your tank. Disconnect it and see.

John Allingham
Owner & Certified Home Inspector
Halton-Peel Home Inspection
(416) 254-5869
inspect@peelhomeinspection.com
http://www.peelhomeinspection.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:20 pm 

It would appear that you have 2 floor drains. One by the furnace and one in a cold room. Both drains require a primer. To confirm that it works, flush the toilet and water should trickle into both drains. The water level in your toilet tank should be 3/8 inch below the top of the overflow tube as per the instructions on the the inside of the toilet tank behind the tube.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:35 pm 

The float needs adjusting. It's the black thingy that looks like an offset doughnut that moves up as the water rises. It is set too low.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm 

BTW, the small black line coming from the fill valve is for the bowl rinse (the small holes under the rim of the bowl). It does not contribute to filling the tank so your problem rests elsewhere (probably the fill valve/float assembly).

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation on the prime line.

I do have two drains in the basement. One next to the furnace and another in the cold room. These drains are less than 2 meters apart and the furnace drains into one of the drains. There are no pipes that fill the cold room drain.

The two black tubes that the toilet feeds are located at the other end of the basement. There is no drain located there. The sump pump is located very close to those two black pipes.

I realize that I wasn't clear on my problem. There is nothing wrong with the water level in my TANK. The water lever is 3/8" below the overflow tube as shown in the first picture. The problem is that ALL the water from the fill valve goes down the prime tubes. Thus, there is no water for the bowl rinse and the BOWL water level is very low. I confirmed this by disconnecting the prime lines and letting all the water from the fill valve go into the overflow tube. The BOWL water level was much higher and was at the same level as the other toilets in the house. I am looking for a solution where I can still prime the lines AND still have a proper BOWL water level.

Attachments:
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 41.07 KiB | Viewed 605 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:57 pm 

The 3 way fitting needs to be changed. What I mean is, the water supply needs to enter the fitting at the bottom of the "T" this will cause the water to be pushed left and right, one side to the bowl and the other way to the clear primer line. The way it is now the feed line is pushing 90% of the water straight through the fitting to the primer line.

You may need to heat up the plastic lines to get them to turn and stay put.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:39 am 

Greenjp wrote:
The 3 way fitting needs to be changed. What I mean is, the water supply needs to enter the fitting at the bottom of the "T" this will cause the water to be pushed left and right, one side to the bowl and the other way to the clear primer line. The way it is now the feed line is pushing 90% of the water straight through the fitting to the primer line.

You may need to heat up the plastic lines to get them to turn and stay put.

Excellent suggestion.

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869