HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:23 am 

All this toilet talk during vacation season in connection with my essential paranoia about flooding made me research this product:

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/flo ... ectors.asp

Anyone use one of these, or similar (if any)? There is a YouTube link to a convincing video. There is also (not surprisingly) a lot of criticism on-line about the product.

What's the net verdict? It'd be nice to hear from the home inspectors.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:37 am 

Not a bad idea to get what ever protection you can. There was a house on McDougall a couple days ago that had water pouring out of every brick, seam etc. Poor homeowners weren't home. That house is completely destroyed, I'm sure of it. One of the neighbours called the town to have the water shut off, but not before it was too late.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:54 am 

B&T402 wrote:
All this toilet talk during vacation season in connection with my essential paranoia about flooding made me research this product:

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/flo ... ectors.asp

Anyone use one of these, or similar (if any)? There is a YouTube link to a convincing video. There is also (not surprisingly) a lot of criticism on-line about the product.

What's the net verdict? It'd be nice to hear from the home inspectors.

I have one. I've not had any issues and it's cheap insurance. The tank takes a little longer to refill but who cares.

John Allingham
Owner & Certified Home Inspector
Halton-Peel Home Inspection
(416) 254-5869
inspect@peelhomeinspection.com
http://www.peelhomeinspection.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:02 am 

During a "vacation" you can also shut the water OFF at the meter if you are concerned.

Often there is a shut off valve past the meter but I would suggest you shut off the water at the valve on the meter itself.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 am 

^ that would be the best thing to do while away but last winter the water service pipe that comes out of the ground and goes into the meter came right out somehow. I had full pressure cold water flowing into the basement for at least 45 minutes until the Region came to shut the water off from the curb stop. Luckily we were still home and managed to direct a lot of it down the drain and contain the rest resulting in minimal damage in an unfinished basement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:08 pm 

There is another system to minimize water damage. It's more expensive, but is good for people like me who are paranoid about the effects of water damage:

http://www.watercop.com/overview.aspx
http://www.absoluteautomation.ca/watercop-s/1846.htm

With the "Water Cop" system, leak detectors are placed in vulnerable places around the home. When water is detected, the detector sends a wireless signal to an electrical water turnoff valve installed where the water line enters your house, and the household water supply is automatically turned off. I have detectors near toilets, washing machine, under kitchen sink (dishwasher connection), and hot water heater. They have done the job for me twice: hot water heater leak, and leak from kitchen faucet fitting. I have a well, and there's a CAT-5 interface on the turnoff that is used to cut power to my well (as well as turn off water input to house). As a bonus, you can easily turn off water to the house when you leave for vacation by pressing a switch, which operates the electrical valve on the water main. You have to replace detector batteries (2 AA) once/year. When I change batteries I check operation of system.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:25 pm 

Thanks for scaring the sh!t out of me, people ;) Off to Home Hardware tomorrow to load up on these things, for toilets and dishwasher at least. In going over the on-line -ve reviews, most people complain of false shut-downs due to irregular / spiky water pressure, or for extra-thirsty appliances like washing machines. I'd like to replace the cheezy Mattamy shut-offs on the washer lines and hot water tank with for-real ball valve shut-offs, and get into the habit of turning those off when not in use / away.

Also, I was not aware of that shut-off upstream of the water meter, never noticed it before! We keep our main line open when away, as we rely on pet sitters who may need the water on.

Thanks all,