HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:33 am 

Wondering if anyone has finished their basement and how they have insulated it? I think I am leaning on r12 spray foam instead of batts and vapor barrier. I have some neighbours who's basements are finished but quite cold in the winter just using batts insulation and VB or leaving just the builder wrap.

Any experiences please let me know, cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 am 

spray foam is a bit of overkill in the basement, but that's what we did. The main reason is because I couldn't be bothered to do the manual work in the rim joists with batt and then vb, or with rigid foam and tape. If you don't mind the cost, its obviously the easiest option.

I don't think you're going to find it much warmer by using the spray foam though. The coverage will of course be better as the expanding foam will get into tight spaces and behind studs, but unless you're also insulating your concrete floor with rigid foam or something, I wouldn't expect a huge advantage in the warmth department. We used R12 spray foam and dri-core subfloor and its still cool. We use the fireplace quite often down there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:14 am 

Before you decide on spray foam, look up the mold and mildew resistance vs regular insulation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:12 pm 

I put R-20 closed cell spray foam in my basement. In the winter time it is warmer down there than it is upstairs. I also had HVAC run to just above the baseboards and Dricore subfloor + engineered hardwood flooring. These do make a difference (especially HVAC at floor level) but I think it's the R-20 foam including at the headers that really does the job. I wouldn't do anything less than R16 in a basement if warmth is a concern for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 pm 

JF13 wrote:
Wondering if anyone has finished their basement and how they have insulated it? I think I am leaning on r12 spray foam instead of batts and vapor barrier. I have some neighbours who's basements are finished but quite cold in the winter just using batts insulation and VB or leaving just the builder wrap.

It's very possible that your neighbour did not do their HVAC properly, IE - air return should be close to the floor. I see this all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
JF13 wrote:

It's very possible that your neighbour did not do their HVAC properly, IE - air return should be close to the floor. I see this all the time.

I've moved vents to the floor but didn't know that about the air return. I was going to keep it a little higher thinking it didn't matter as long as there was one. I will send it to the floor thanks.

What's your say on spray foam HHH?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am 

What about heated floors? We have them under tiles and it's the most wonderful feeling ever. We have the timer set on weekdays to only run from 6pm-10pm and we hardly notice a difference on our hydro bill.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:55 pm 

What is the minimum R-value according to 'code' for basements? I'm looking to get some Roxul batts now that the framing and electrical is complete. I'm not sure which R-value to get.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 pm 

Minimum requirements on a basement insulation may depend on if your basement is A walk out. I am thinking that basements walls that are fully underground probably have different r value. Just call A hardware store I am sure they would know Another thing to consider with spray foaming basement walls is if you end up with a leaky crack, it will be harder to find and fix. Just something to consider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:23 pm 

I went to home Depot today, but the sales Rep had no idea. Mine is not a walkout basement. I've been doing some research on here, and some say R-12 and others say R-20 for the batt insulation. I'm not going with the spray foam.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:09 pm 

Minimum requirements on a basement insulation may depend on if your basement is A walk out. I am thinking that basements walls that are fully underground probably have different r value. Just call A hardware store I am sure they would know Another thing to consider with spray foaming basement walls is if you end up with a leaky crack, it will be harder to find and fix. Just something to consider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:35 pm 

if your basement is cold after all that work you screwed up. overkill is the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:34 am 

I am pretty sure R-12 is sufficient for Southern Ontario, as all your wall are already partially insulated by being underground. We just re-finished our basement but we used R-20, we also have a walk out.

Looks like there are also some grants given out for basement insulation, seem like the amount of grant given depends on R-value used for your project. I am sure these guy will have the correct answear for you

http://www.homeperformance.com/ontario- ... g-basement