HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:43 pm 

dakaardian wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:
I believe the office of a large real estate company is located along that stretch. They have been large contributors to many worthwhile causes (hospital, centre for the arts, and many others). Would there be a connection? Also, will there now be consideration for on-street parking at the corner of Derry and Thompson? Similar type development. :?

And the owner of that real estate agency is running for city council this year

No he isn't. He's running for the federal liberal party nomination (aka running for the liberal spit to go head to head with Lisa Rait).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 pm 

Remind me never to buy yarn from Main St. Yarns for putting this stupid, moronic proposal through...

Oh wait... I've never bought yarn...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:51 pm 

Deep wrote:
Remind me never to buy yarn from Main St. Yarns for putting this stupid, moronic proposal through...

How is selling yarn even a viable business anymore? Like honestly, who do you know under 50 who knits? I know there are still some old timers who do it, but they are dying off rapidly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

freemantrailfamily wrote:
dakaardian wrote:
Foreveryoung wrote:
I believe the office of a large real estate company is located along that stretch. They have been large contributors to many worthwhile causes (hospital, centre for the arts, and many others). Would there be a connection? Also, will there now be consideration for on-street parking at the corner of Derry and Thompson? Similar type development. :?

And the owner of that real estate agency is running for city council this year

No he isn't. He's running for the federal liberal party nomination (aka running for the liberal spit to go head to head with Lisa Rait).

You are right sir/mam. With so many flyers that I quickly read and put out for recycling I am loosing track who is running for what. Thanks for correcting me :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:00 pm 

Deep wrote:

If you read the Town of Milton Report, which includes the Yarn letter, it must be obvious to most that there was some guidance in writing this letter. With due respect to the letter writer, it includes elements beyond what most of us would think of and that perhaps seem more like "town official" talk. And since when does a single letter result in an engineering study? Must be nice to know/have the inside track.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm 

NotHawthorny wrote:
Deep wrote:

How is selling yarn even a viable business anymore? Like honestly, who do you know under 50 who knits? I know there are still some old timers who do it, but they are dying off rapidly.

If you read through her letter, you'll see she references people with hip replacements, etc having a hard time getting to the store. I guess her demographic is older so we need to accommodate that... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm 

Deep wrote:

LOL!!

And paint me unsurprised at this ridiculous situation. I feel for anyone who has to take Main out of town. Brutal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 pm 

It's kinda like driving the 401 at 120 just following the car in front of you, then you realize that car in front is NOT MOVING :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:38 pm 

It's bizarre how one group of businesses get on street parking but the older existing ones did not
Someone is slipping someone else an envelope stuffed with cash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:48 pm 

prickly_pete wrote:
Yeah... All those poor people who have to take main out of town between 10 am and 4pm? Seriously this is not an issue at all.

Did you read the report?

So this woman invests in buying a brand new storefront property which has parking in the rear and for which she knew the parking and disability bylaws for beforehand. Then she and her fellow business & real estate investors, including a politically connected businessman, petition the town to turn a major thoroughfare into street parking right out front which will increase their property values at the cost of major inconvenience of the townspeople.

Perhaps its the yarn business thing that has my spidey senses up, but this just does not seem a legitimately sustainable business to put in that location, parking or no parking. It does seem however to be just the type of business to justify writing a letter like that. Color me suspicious, but this smacks of crony capitalism.

The letter is written feb 27th, gets timestamped receipted March 14th, and staff whips into action with a report by May 5th. All as a result of this poor woman's letter. Amazing!

Lets see if this business is still there 5 years from now and under the same ownership (not flipped). Meanwhile, I'd like to see a record of the vote.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:09 pm 

Remember the builder submitted plans, parking allotment is right there, plans passed, did anybody question this.

On a side note, a new condo will be going up by the Go station soon. The parking allotment is shown as 1.1 spaces per unit. So if every owner has 2 cars guess what will happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:03 pm 

Drove by yet another accident in this section today, nastiest-looking one yet. Sedan lost most of the front passenger-side of the car, SUV (assume it was parked here) pushed up on the grass and into a tree. Don't think anyone was hurt.

At this rate, the auto insurance companies might as well just pay for a new parking facility. Seems like some sort of accident happens there every other week.

Remind me again why this is a good idea?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 pm 

Worst idea ever...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:11 pm 

pnear wrote:
Drove by yet another accident in this section today, nastiest-looking one yet. Sedan lost most of the front passenger-side of the car, SUV (assume it was parked here) pushed up on the grass and into a tree. Don't think anyone was hurt.

At this rate, the auto insurance companies might as well just pay for a new parking facility. Seems like some sort of accident happens there every other week.

Remind me again why this is a good idea?
I walked by it about 2:10pm. The SUV was driven up on the grass as the ground was not marked up as would be if pushed. I think a car was parked, the SUV was forced to stop due to left lane traffic and got rear ended. Damage to the SUV left rear bumper only (didn't look bad) but the car trying to move left at the last minute caught it on the right head light. Entire front fascia ripped off, right fender ripped off, damage to steering & suspension.

I had my phone but the car owner & cop & tow truck were there so I didn't take a pic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:18 pm 

It's just the latest volley in the Milton city planners war against the car.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next