HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 pm 

Rick, why did you oppose the transit audit?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:18 pm 

samsvoc wrote:
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Do we really think that there’s some anonymous person stuffing money in fare boxes?

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... p-numbers/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 am 

shawnrk1 wrote:
samsvoc wrote:
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Do we really think that there’s some anonymous person stuffing money in fare boxes?

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... p-numbers/

Thanks, but I'd like to hear Rick's answer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:45 am 
Site Admin

samsvoc wrote:
Because I don't like wasting $31,000 for no discernible reason. When our service provider, finance department, senior manager of infrastructure, mayor, and other councillors who attend transit meetings are all confident in the fares I believe them over Rick Malboeuf. Especially with Rick M's track record on items like this.

Unfortunately Rick M's turning himself into the boy who cried wolf with conspiracy theories and disbelief of reports that staff or third parties (Dillion Consulting) give him about transit. Staff have spent IMO considerable time (which has a cost, even if we don't see it in the budget) doing reports and analysis for him on the subject that he then discards if they don't support his beliefs.

p.s. I'm probably one of the councilors who said the least during that discussion at council. There are other members of council that go to transit comittee meetings (I don't, I'm not on transit and they occur while I'm away at work in downtown Toronto) so you could also ask them, or listen to the debate online. But you asked me so I answered.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:27 am 

Besides. Instead of spending $31k we have Rick M doing it for free.

It's like we get him to do the councillor job for free. What a deal!

I would think those that voted against it know that ridership is low and still believe it's a build it and it will come. Which isn't totally unreasonable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 am 

Or you could think they don't want to waste money challenging a proven system used by multiple municipalities around us. What a waste of time.

Disappointed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:47 am 

" Why waste time discovering the truth when you can so easily create it? "
Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 am 

Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Ok I'll try asking this again....

Why do you go around telling people the Toronto Star did a story one day after the council meeting? When you know the story was from March. I think you do these things because it makes your story sound better. The thing is you do it so often that it makes it difficult for me to trust what you say. I have to try and fact check every sentence you say or write.

Rick Malboeuf wrote:
It is irresponsible to only rely on the information provided to us by the service provider.
What about the information provided to us by our own finance department saying that yes, they are receiving increased money from transit fares.

Rick you can go back to the video recording and listen to Colin's answers, my responces (which I admit, were limited), mayor's responces, etc.

I wish you would spend a quarter of the time you spend looking for ways to reduce transit on actually trying to support Milton Transit and it's riders. We've had how many Milton Transit Passenger Appreciation days in the past 4 years? 4 of them I think? And you attended how many exactly? Zero? 1? I think zero? And your one of the 2 councillors who sits on Transit? Four years ago I made the mistake of believing you when you said you wanted to be on Milton Transit in order to improve it. I was thinking you'd be looking for ways to make it more efficient and improve the cost recovery ratios.

Rick

You talk about increasing revenues from the fare box in your responce(sic) but as a businessman I am sure you are aware that is only part of the issue. What you perhaps should be talking about, in my humble opinion, is how much of that increased revenue came from the recently increased service, and at what incremental costs? How many more taxpayer $$$ were spent in achieving those additional revenues?

I for one am glad you made the ":mistake" of believing that Rick M wanted to improve the cost recovery ratios. I prefer his stance to that of a "yes man". Although in this case ironically it appears that Rick M is the yes man following the recommendations of the staff member accountable for Transit.

Isn't relying on the service providers numbers year after year without independent audit somewhat like leaving the fox in charge of the henhouse? The audit of public companies on an annual basis is a huge expense to those companies but I doubt if you would get too many investors clamouring to drop the annual audit.

I find it strange that organisations that are prepared to "invest" in 3rd parties to develop strategic plans are not prepared to invest in audits to ensure that the results of those plans are measured accurately - but then it's an election year!

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 am 

Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
samsvoc wrote:
Because I don't like wasting $31,000 for no discernible reason. When our service provider, finance department, senior manager of infrastructure, mayor, and other councillors who attend transit meetings are all confident in the fares I believe them over Rick Malboeuf. Especially with Rick M's track record on items like this.

Unfortunately Rick M's turning himself into the boy who cried wolf with conspiracy theories and disbelief of reports that staff or third parties (Dillion Consulting) give him about transit. Staff have spent IMO considerable time (which has a cost, even if we don't see it in the budget) doing reports and analysis for him on the subject that he then discards if they don't support his beliefs.

p.s. I'm probably one of the councilors who said the least during that discussion at council. There are other members of council that go to transit comittee meetings (I don't, I'm not on transit and they occur while I'm away at work in downtown Toronto) so you could also ask them, or listen to the debate online. But you asked me so I answered.

So Rick, you don't like wasting/spending $31,000 on a much needed transit audit, yet, you approve 3 additional buses at a total cost of $567,000. Buses we DON'T need. It's obvious you don't want to be proven wrong in an election year. Spend the $31,000 and see if spending $567,000 was a smart move.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... n-forward/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:40 am 

The provider uses the fare box to gauge how much traffic there is on buses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're lying about the number of people based on the fare box, shouldn't there be less money in the fare box compared to the amount of fares reported?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:44 am 

Sandeep wrote:
The provider uses the fare box to gauge how much traffic there is on buses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they're lying about the number of people based on the fare box, shouldn't there be less money in the fare box compared to the amount of fares reported?

Don't inject logic into an issue driven by emotion. It never works.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Martin doing an audit of the fare box wouldn't answer the questions you have in your first paragraph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 am 

Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
Martin doing an audit of the fare box wouldn't answer the questions you have in your first paragraph

A comprehensive audit would include a lot more than just a counting of the fare box. It would/should include the number of routes, number of vehicles, type of vehicles, length of travel per passenger, number of passengers, fill rate, system efficiency, etc. This would provide a blueprint of where we are at now and where to go moving forward. I do believe in public transit, but we must make sure that we balance the needs of the Milton transit users versus the ability of the Milton taxpayers to pay. No public transit system in the world pays for itself, they all get financial support from various sources of government, lets just make sure that the Milton taxpayers are not paying more than they should just to satisfy some grandiose scheme based on leaving a legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 am 

Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:

Rick

Having spent several years dealing with Public Transit Agencies both in North America and Europe I am well aware of that! I was pointing out to you that Revenues are not the only measure - nothing more nothing less. Do you have the answers to the questions I suggested you should be asking or is it sufficient for you to know of the increase in fares collected?

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:08 am 

Foreveryoung wrote:
Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:

A comprehensive audit would include a lot more than just a counting of the fare box. It would/should include the number of routes, number of vehicles, type of vehicles, length of travel per passenger, number of passengers, fill rate, system efficiency, etc. This would provide a blueprint of where we are at now and where to go moving forward. I do believe in public transit, but we must make sure that we balance the needs of the Milton transit users versus the ability of the Milton taxpayers to pay. No public transit system in the world pays for itself, they all get financial support from various sources of government, lets just make sure that the Milton taxpayers are not paying more than they should just to satisfy some grandiose scheme based on leaving a legacy.

100% agree!!!!

Martin

HVRA member

www.cappercares.ca
www.MartinCapper.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next