HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:26 pm 

Almost got hit again - TWICE - waiting to make a left on to LSL from Farmstead thanks to a U-turner and the second vehicle behind the one U-turning that I couldn't see thanks to the construction equipment parked on the corner of Farmstead and LSL. Why don't they park it on the other side of LSL?????? Idiots! The lot of them!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:59 pm 

RMJ wrote:
Almost got hit again - TWICE - waiting to make a left on to LSL from Farmstead thanks to a U-turner and the second vehicle behind the one U-turning that I couldn't see thanks to the construction equipment parked on the corner of Farmstead and LSL. Why don't they park it on the other side of LSL?????? Idiots! The lot of them!

I've noticed a lot of U turns being made too. Hopefully its just a one time thing where poor souls get to the Diefenbaker and LSL intersection then realize they can't turn left as opposed to fools who are going to make this part of their daily commute route.

They seem to come out of no where because you're not expecting it. Perhaps Halton's finest may have to come out and give a few drivers a lesson.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 am 

What's the eta on the traffic lights? Also, will they continue to allow the U-turns on LSL for people who are leaving Diefenbaker? Or do they plan on putting up a 'no U-turn' sign there?

And what's the plan for the intersection of Leger and LSL? Though there aren't a ton of cars that leave HVOP via that intersection, there are a LOT of students that cross the street there, and a lot of cars that are turning into and out of the school parking lot during rush hour. And a plaza that starts opening on Sept 15th. It was a bit hairy when it was only 2 lanes...

With school starting in one week (and Jean Vanier being a pretty big and busy one), I'm a little concerned about what traffic is going to look like on that stretch if the traffic lights aren't up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:13 am 
Site Admin

JLB wrote:
What's the eta on the traffic lights? Also, will they continue to allow the U-turns on LSL for people who are leaving Diefenbaker? Or do they plan on putting up a 'no U-turn' sign there?

And what's the plan for the intersection of Leger and LSL? Though there aren't a ton of cars that leave HVOP via that intersection, there are a LOT of students that cross the street there, and a lot of cars that are turning into and out of the school parking lot during rush hour. And a plaza that starts opening on Sept 15th. It was a bit hairy when it was only 2 lanes...

With school starting in one week (and Jean Vanier being a pretty big and busy one), I'm a little concerned about what traffic is going to look like on that stretch if the traffic lights aren't up.
There isn't an exact date on the signalized traffic lights at Farmstead and Louis St. Laurent but it should be hopefully soon as they're opening up Louis St. Laurent to Tremaine this fall. I've asked to please have the studies completed as soon as possible (with the change on Diefenbaker, and school starting and Louis st. laurent, I feel that's more than enough to have the study come back positive)

Leger & LSL is planned to be signalized due to the future opening of the grocery store/commercial plaza and increased traffic that and other items you mentioned will cause. That was part of the fieldgate application & technical reports that came back in 2013. The Town doesn't have an exact date yet but it should be done (my opinion) to be in sync with the future openings.

But no, the lights will not be up when school opens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am 

Thanks for your quick reply. It's a bit disappointing that there wasn't a push to get the lights up in time for the school year, and in advance of the plaza opening and the widening of the road. Hopefully there isn't too much more of wait, since trying to navigate a 4 lane road (both cars and students/pedestrians) with no light or stop sign on it while cars try to turn off a side street at the same time seems like a a hazard.

My frustration isn't directed at you of course, and I'm sure you can sympathize with the residents of HVOP trying to get out of their neighbourhood quickly and safely. Thanks for trying to push the studies along asap! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:39 pm 

I'd prefer a stop sign over a 4 way traffic stop at the intersection any day of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:03 pm 

LSL is a through street. Quit putting stops on it. I want to go through. Even at 50km/hr where there are no homes or schools.
Great information Rick D. Thanks for your input.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 pm 

^^ +1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am 

I still think its ridiculous that Diefenbaker left turn has been eliminated (being respectful of the reasons stated as to why it was removed by Rick). Were there no other options to get around the safety and traffic flow issues? For the people who live east of Diefenbaker especially, the town has essentially added 5 mins of extra travel time to their morning commutes to go all the way around. This was the best solution? Really?
I am assuming that most people who live in this area travel east 98% of the time. Having to go all the way around is poor planning on the town's part. I would fire a few people if I was in charge.
The majority of the homes in that area are towns,villiage & condo's. There are many people who reside in that area and most of these people drive vehicles. Dont forget the parking lot at the end of Diefenbaker and Lietterman. That can get busy as well. I was there for a soccer game on the weekend.

One other thing the (smart planners who should be fired) must consider, is what people will do when the opening is created for the fire station. That's right, don't be surprised if people will drive the wrong way and cut through it to get across. (Yes it will happen).

If the lights are timed properly, putting a light at that corner would be a better choice overall.

Bottom line, very poor planning and I feel sorry for all who have been affecting by this stupid decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 am 

Just wanted to add one more thing. Special shout out to Rick. You show you care by trying your best to provide answers to people's inquiries. Pat on your back

As far as Brian Penman goes, he's about as useful as "tits on a bull".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
shawnrk1 wrote:
Sandeep wrote:
Your comment makes zero sense. The problem is leaving the area, not entering it.

It makes perfect sense but to S P E L L it out for you; the residential area is further east
Non-residents cut through small streets to exit further east on LSL to avoid traffic (which as more cars pass through makes the turn more difficult)

OP complained the issue is leaving the neighborhood and you're talking about entering the neighborhood.

Who in their right mind would cut through Letterman and Diefenbaker instead of just taking LSL? Traffic is minimal on that stretch. It would take longer to drive thru the neighborhood.

Sandeep, shawnrk1 is talking about people "leaving" the area as I read it. Example, resident on Zuest Crescent who takes Leiterman to Diefenbaker and then turns left onto LSL (alas, no more).

Now, if we can agree that both Sandeep and shawrk1 are talking about people leaving the residential areas, then the difference in each of their opinions is based on the fact they have different "assumptions". I believe shawnrk1 is arguing that some people may drive to Diefenbaker to turn left because he is assuming traffic is heavier on LSL and/or Farmstead whereas Sandeep is arguing why would you do that because the traffic is not that heavy.

No charge for mediation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:45 pm 

I read his comment again, and again, and sorry, I can't come to the conclusion that we're both talking about people leaving the area. But I'll take your word for it, if we're saying the same thing, all the better!

Oh well. Hope they don't add a light. No offence, but there are enough traffic lights. Subdivisions don't need an exit every 300m for someone to get out of the area. And the 5 minute numbers are a bit of an exaggeration.

I do agree, these subdivisions, and arguably a huge amount of Milton roads, are poorly (if at all) thought out. You'd think someone approving roads would be aware these exist:
Hint: it's a right-turn lane.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am 

Rick Di Lorenzo wrote:
I've asked engineering to follow up on traffic impact study (especially with school starting in september) to assess the effect the median's having.

It think it would be good to publish the report (and the raw) data so that residents in the area can understand what kind of legwork went into making this decision. As a resident who is now inconvenienced by the elimination of this left turn, I would like to be more informed so that I can form an educated opinion. I'm concerned that talks of stop lights at this point (after the curbs have been set) are just election promises.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:20 am 

Very well said Ms. Pres.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm 

How about the fact that we don't want traffic lights every 500-1000 meters? LSL is going to be a major artery moving a lot of traffic east-west.

Take Thompson for example between the underpass and Derry Rd. Too many lights and subdivision entrances.

For the hell of it, I drove through the area in question to Farmstead and then east toward #25. Took under two minutes. Hardly worth inconveniencing the majority of traffic taking LSL to pass thru.

Hope this study doesn't result in yet more traffic lights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next