HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:13 am 

Got a call that I won (filled out the ballot at the rib fest once you enter)

They tell you you will win one of these 5 prizes 1) vacation getway 2) TV 3) Laptop 4) $1000 giftcard (furniture) 5) $1500 cash.

They get you into a room at a cheap hotel, tell you turn off your cell phone, and give you a 1.5-2 hour presentation about how they can give you all of these discounts on various products and services and save thousands of dollars which raised red flags (but not deals) when they said you could get trips for $499 that would cost $2000 with pricing guaranteed for 25 years for these various trips, or 2% above dealer invoice on cars, low interest rates on mortgages and consolidation of debts to lower interest rates (which you don't need them to do), etc, etc along with naming name brand companies like The Brick, banks, etc but then a lot of companies we hadn't heard of and all of these comparisons of savings, etc.

They wanted an investment of $7250 I believe in order to participate in the savings which screams pyramid scheme so there was no way we were getting into that but it is unfortunate we had to wait until that time to see this. I was going to get up and say this was a scam
When they did their sales pitch and saw that we weren't interested they quickly actioned us to leave the room before the others so they could work on them and then they got us to draw a ticket out of a drum that had "#1" written on it which corresponded to the vacation getaway (which you need to pay $49 to use and it is only accommodations in a cheap ***** hotel I'm thinking and not worth the paper it is written on). I imagine that the drum only had the #1 tickets in it and nothing else and once you sign up they say sorry you only get #1.

Anyway stay away from these scammers. If you get a call saying you won do not go its a scam!

Milton Rib Fest organizers you should be ashamed of yourselves for having these guys there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 pm 

This type of scam has been going on for many many years. I got a call shortly after filling in a ballet for a free inground lawn sprinkler system at the Milton Home Show years ago. When they called and said I won one of the top 5 prizes and needed to be there for the draw (that's the hook) I said sure but had no intention to go.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:45 pm 

Wow shameful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:58 pm 

lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13 pm 

Sounds like it's for a timeshare. First of all i'd question you street smarts even going into a motel room with some guys you don't even know and turning off your cell phone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:35 am 

If organizers do not kick those people out, I do not think I will set my foot on this place any more in my life although I heard the Fest opening news from this forum and feel some kind the interested in the Fest!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 am 

Uhhhh, you could still attend Fest's and not fill out the ballot. I suggest that as a rule of thumb in the future.
WTH would anyone fill out a ballot at an unmanned booth? Did you think some exotic billionaire likes to send Rib aficionados with filthy feet on vacations.
Sheesh.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am 

I want the organizers to explain how they vetted these people or can anyone just show up and do that without clearance? Did they pay to be there? Can you post the contact of the person that approached them to be there so we can contact them and have them come on here and explain themselves? Lets find a solution to this so this scam can stop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:32 am 

Solution: Stop filling out ballots at travelling 3 day Fest's in the park.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am 

yes lets blame the victims.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am 

Victims? Sheesh kid.
You got to be pretty f'n dopey to go to a hotel to claim a prize, then sit there for 2 hrs waiting.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:56 am 

you cant defend your statement. sorry but you stop the scammers not try to make people feel stupid for assuming a company affiliated with our Milton rib fest would be scamming people.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:22 am 

How did they scam you? You happily agreed to everything that you did, and they delivered one of the promised prizes.
The best prize was $1500, I wouldn't get off the couch for that offer.
TIP: if someone says "you won, but we're not sure what, so come on down and meet us"......that's not winning. You got pfished.

EDIT: Price matching is a guaranteed winner/gagnon every time you try. Probably save enough for a hotel room pretty quick.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 pm 

its a scam, it wasn't a legit raffle. Saying I won and to come down and have a 1 in 5 chance and messaging everyone that filled out the ballot that they won and to come down as well and then have all of us pick from a bucket with nothing but the scam trip is a scam.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:56 pm 

I think most people can smell a time share pitch from a mile away.