HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: iOS vs. Android
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:24 am 

bremer wrote:
Sandeep wrote:
Windows Phone is crap. The UI is so unintuitive, and the app selection in most cases is lagging behind even BlackBerry.

Android isn't that hard to develop for, but it isn't as easy as iOS. My next phone will be an iPhone 6. Time to try out Apple and take a break from BlackBerry.

I don’t get how you can think the UI isn’t intuitive. Pin your favorite apps to the home screen, touch to launch. To see all installed apps, swipe from the left. In app menus are usually a simple left/right swipe interface. Whats the problem?

I know only two people with one. It took them a bit of time to figure out where to set up their WIFI when they each came over. It was pretty funny. Apparently it's buried deep somewhere. Maybe it's improved in 8.1.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 am 

bremer wrote:
Kevin&Amanda wrote:
Anecdotal evidence is always so fun! My mom's Windows phone crashed all the time, she replaced it with a Nexus 5 in March and hasn't had to do a non-update reboot once since. She also finds the Android interface much more intuitive and easy to use. Yay anecdotes!

lol. Was that a Win 7 phone she had? I never used one, but I know they were pretty much junk. 8.1 is much much better.

If she just got her Nexus in March, she hasn't given it enough time for the unstable apps to infect her phone. Give it time, it will start to flake out lol

I think it was an 8.0 phone, though I could be wrong.

As for the unstable apps, I doubt she'll ever run into that problem. I'm not sure she understands how the Play Store really works, similar to how she didn't really use the Windows Phone Maketplace. She just asks us to put that app she heard about from someone else on her phone.

I know what you mean though, as I have a Nexus 5 as well (since January) and have had some unstable apps that I've had to since remove. I'm much more adventurous when it comes to that sort of thing though, including installing apks from elsewhere. Also fooling around with the dev software myself. Still, it's a far cry from how many times I've seen people having to reboot their BBs and iPhones (though I think everyone I know who uses an iPhone has it jailbroken, so there is that).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:37 pm 

Only BB's from before BB10 need to be rebooted. My Z10 only reboots if the battery dies. BlackBerry OS10 has come a long way in terms of stability.

I agree only jailbroken iPhones need to be rebooted; wife's iPhone 5 runs fine so long as you shut down the ton of running apps from time to time. I really wish iOS and Android could come up with a user friendly way to shut down apps. Most of the users I run into don't have a clue that the apps remain running (even if they're suspended).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
Only BB's from before BB10 need to be rebooted. My Z10 only reboots if the battery dies. BlackBerry OS10 has come a long way in terms of stability.

I agree only jailbroken iPhones need to be rebooted; wife's iPhone 5 runs fine so long as you shut down the ton of running apps from time to time. I really wish iOS and Android could come up with a user friendly way to shut down apps. Most of the users I run into don't have a clue that the apps remain running (even if they're suspended).

Just to correct the apps in iOS do not remain running (otherwise they will not be suspended). They remain in memory in suspended mode (there is a big difference).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm 

I am one that holds onto their phones for years. I have only owned 2 iPhones since they have been released. I'll admit I had to replace my 3G because the latest iOS and app at that time were no longer compatible. But I have 2 friends that are still using there 3Gs. And I still am happily using my 4s today.

As a user and not a developer, I look at articles about device defrag and that deters me from ever wanting to switch. How can I know I am getting the right device for what I need it to do?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
bremer wrote:
Sandeep wrote:
Windows Phone is crap. The UI is so unintuitive, and the app selection in most cases is lagging behind even BlackBerry.

Android isn't that hard to develop for, but it isn't as easy as iOS. My next phone will be an iPhone 6. Time to try out Apple and take a break from BlackBerry.

I don’t get how you can think the UI isn’t intuitive. Pin your favorite apps to the home screen, touch to launch. To see all installed apps, swipe from the left. In app menus are usually a simple left/right swipe interface. Whats the problem?

I know only two people with one. It took them a bit of time to figure out where to set up their WIFI when they each came over. It was pretty funny. Apparently it's buried deep somewhere. Maybe it's improved in 8.1.

With 8.0 and 8.1 as soon as you walk near a wifi, you got a notification popup at the top you could click. But if you missed that notification in 8.0, you had to go into Settings|Wifi. With 8.1, you simply swipe down from the top to get the notification center and there is a wifi list right there.

8.0 was good, but not nearly up to the level of iOS or Android. With 8.1 they are pretty much on par feature wise. With the new transparent tiles, the phone dosen't look so cheezy and blocky anymore either. The background photo you put on can make it look really slick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:30 pm 

Ahhh, i see. Let's see if this Windows Phone thing catches on! With iOS and IBM's upcoming partnership, the next 12-24 months will be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:41 pm 

Wyl wrote:
I am one that holds onto their phones for years. I have only owned 2 iPhones since they have been released. I'll admit I had to replace my 3G because the latest iOS and app at that time were no longer compatible. But I have 2 friends that are still using there 3Gs. And I still am happily using my 4s today.

As a user and not a developer, I look at articles about device defrag and that deters me from ever wanting to switch. How can I know I am getting the right device for what I need it to do?

Those articles tend to just be clickbait for ad money. They don't really care so much about accuracy or reporting facts, but rather getting as many page views as possible. If you are worrying about getting the "right" device, you are better off sticking with Apple anyway, and I don't mean that as insult in anyway. Like I said before, iOS devices are like a Corolla. It's the "safe" "reliable" choice, if a little boring and soul sucking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:21 pm 

Kevin&Amanda wrote:
If you are worrying about getting the "right" device, you are better off sticking with Apple anyway, and I don't mean that as insult in anyway. Like I said before, iOS devices are like a Corolla. It's the "safe" "reliable" choice, if a little boring and soul sucking.

I respectfully disagree.

Apple makes the world most popular smartphone and laptop for a reason. They work; period. As long as you're purchasing, app, music, TV, Movie in the Apple universe, they just work! I know I am sounding like a fanboy, but I have my reasons. I am / was a huge computer geek. I the 90s and into the 2000s I would spends hours upon hours tweaking my Windows computers to work with software, games etc. Then I leaped into the Apple universe without any real reason other than I was fed up with tweaking Windows. And everything worked, I seamlessly transfers all my data from my Windows into Apple. Hardware and software works seamlessly no more tweaking.
I owned my Mac pro for 8 years, and only replaced it because it was a PowerPC processor was no longer compatible with current OS and software. I have had my current iMac for 5 years, and only added ram and still run faster then my mother-laws brand new i5 laptop.

I have owned a total of 4 Apple devices in 13 years to accomplish everything I have needed to do, on the net, work, and play. I don't think anyone can say that with mobile phones, let alone PCs

Perhaps you can argue about the software, and I agree iOS and Maverick is a little vanilla if you like tweaking your OS. But I am happy with my choice, and for a good reason.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:24 pm 

^^ Apple does not make the worlds most popular smart phone. Android does. It owns 80% of the market.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm 

bremer wrote:
^^ Apple does not make the worlds most popular smart phone. Android does. It owns 80% of the market.

Android doesn't make smart phones. Google does. And Google's share of the marketplace is not 80%. Now if you're talking about an OS that's a different story. Even still, if you were to count each skin of Android on it's own vs iOS, Apple would be on top.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm 

As an apple user, I usually blur the line with software and hardware discussions when I start typing. I will endeavor to be more clear :)

Wikipedia has a fascinating web on Share of Operating Systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Here are the boiled down stats across all OS out there not based on units sold. But actual usage.

Smartphone, tablet, handheld game console - StatCounter Global Stats[38] -Mar-14
46.26% (Android)
33.09% (iOS)
1.78% (WP8, RT)
18.87% (Other)

And here are some stats of hardware....

Share (%) of Smartphone Subscribers Jan-14
41.6% Apple
26.7% Samsung
6.9% LG
6.4% Motorola
5.4% HTC

I am not seeing the 80% here?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:37 pm 

Those stats are for N.America. Global is a totally different picture. In N.America it's closer to a 50/50 split.

Globally:

http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone- ... -share.jsp

Android sold 85% of all the smartphones in Q2 of 2014. This isn't total market share of all existing phones, only what is being sold as of the last 3 months. But Android has been selling in the 70-80% range for a couple of years now, so it's probably reflective of the overall split.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
bremer wrote:
Sandeep wrote:

As the other windows phone user in Milton I will second what Bremer said. The problem was with your friend as he would not have been able to connect on your iPhone or Kevin's android as you connect the same way on all three devices. Settings. WiFi.

In fact all the phones on the market are virtually the exact same for what people want from them.

Phone.
Email and texting.
Social media apps.
Photos and photo aps.
Videos.
Web browsing.

They all do it exactly the same. All anything comes down to is what brand you want to associate yourself with?

Apple, cause everyone has one and its the best?
Android, cause you'd never be one of the sheeple who uses ios?
Windows, cause you're a true hipster and want something that no one else has?
or whatever your personal reason is.

I can appreciate guys like wyl who can understand the architecture and fragmentation diagrams, but to 98% of the population, brand loyalty is pretty much all that's at stake, cause all the phones do the exact same thing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 pm 

Android 80% market share? Source please...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next