HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:04 pm 

All I can say is if a large US company is "buying" a Canadian company, but they are moving their head office to Canada; it's sounds like Tim Hortons really purchased Burger King's supply chain and deals with other countries to expand worldwide.

*Edit*
I might retract my last statment after reading BK statement...

Quote:
We hear you. We’re not moving, we’re just growing and finding ways to serve you better.
As part of the announcement made today, both Burger King Corp. and Tim Hortons will continue to operate as independent brands. We’ll just be under common ownership. Our headquarters will remain in Miami where we were founded more than 60 years ago and business will continue as usual at our restaurants around the world.
The decision to create a new global QSR leader with Tim Hortons is not tax-driven – it’s about global growth for both brands. BKC will continue to pay all of our federal, state and local U.S. taxes.
We’re proud of the heritage of Burger King and will maintain our long-standing commitment to our employees, franchisees and the local communities we serve.
The WHOPPER isn’t going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:19 pm 

Whoppers on every Canadian intersection. Am I dreaming?
US tax revenue to Canada. Am I dreaming?
Please don't wake me up Obama. BK is caving to the political influence already. Dead Deal!! Political positioning will waft for months.
Remember the TH/Wendy's fiasco?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

That's bullshit (their statement). Its all about tax evasion. Canada corporate rate is lower than the US.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 am 

Google corporate inversion Wyl
It's just a tax loophole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 am 

I was trying to eat in BK only once.
And they aren't moving their HQ to here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:20 am 

Sandeep wrote:
That's bullshit (their statement). Its all about tax evasion. Canada corporate rate is lower than the US.

+1

There is only one rule in Business ( or at least a successful one)
Its about the " Hunger for Greed of Money" it always has been and always will be.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 am 

As somebody who runs both a US & Canadian entity, I must say it's a lot easier for the US corporation to bill my CDN corporation as a "Consulting/Management Fee" for all billing that incurs under the US banner.

I then simply invoice the US company the full amount, and take payment into CDN bank acct. thus benefiting from our lower corporate tax rates. I imagine this would be similar.

I wouldn't say this is tax "evasion" as you are still paying the piper. But BK definitely gets the better end of the bargin for their stores in Canada.

It doesn't boil my blood as much as the fact that all of our good brands (Tim Hortons, Canada Bread, Eatons, etc) get bought out by the US to become successful, where as our home grown tech giants (Nortel, Blackberry) suffer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:54 am 

EWM ASN wrote:
As somebody who runs both a US & Canadian entity, I must say it's a lot easier for the US corporation to bill my CDN corporation as a "Consulting/Management Fee" for all billing that incurs under the US banner.

I then simply invoice the US company the full amount, and take payment into CDN bank acct. thus benefiting from our lower corporate tax rates. I imagine this would be similar.

I wouldn't say this is tax "evasion" as you are still paying the piper. But BK definitely gets the better end of the bargin for their stores in Canada.

It doesn't boil my blood as much as the fact that all of our good brands (Tim Hortons, Canada Bread, Eatons, etc) get bought out by the US to become successful, where as our home grown tech giants (Nortel, Blackberry) suffer.

FYI Burger King is owned by 3G group wich is an investment firm coowned by 3 brasilian billionaires. So, technically, Tim Hortons is bought by a Brasilian firm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:02 am 

dakaardian wrote:
FYI Burger King is owned by 3G group wich is an investment firm coowned by 3 brasilian billionaires. So, technically, Tim Hortons is bought by a Brasilian firm.

Oh WOW, I just saw that... 71% owned by the 3G group... Jorge Paulo Lemann is the 37th richest guy in the world at $21B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am 

Tim's Dark Roast is actually quite drinkable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:50 am 

Ms President wrote:
Sandeep wrote:

+1

Its about the " Hunger for Greed of Money" it always has been and always will be.

I agree with this completely, big business is all about driving revenues. It'll be interesting to see what happens, though I am a huge fan of the Whopper with Cheese. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 am 

...and today is Whopper Wednesday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 pm 

I used to love Whopper Wednesday, but now I am eating healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
I used to love Whopper Wednesday, but now I am eating healthy.

Your screen name makes me sing the 1984 Alphaville song Forever Young.

I too am trying to eat healthy, so I'll avoid it for today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:30 pm 

Ms President wrote:
Sandeep wrote:

+1

NOT TRUE. There was a business at Rib Fest this year giving away vacations, TV's, laptop's and cash for NO REASON AT ALL.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park