HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:06 pm 

Foreveryoung wrote:
gdm894 wrote:
So do some of you actually vote based on the number of candidate signs you can spot? Based on a couple of posts it would seem that way. Sometimes I feel like voting for whoever has the least or no signs at all, what a waste of time they are, says nothing about the candidates position really. Personally I'd like to actually meet and talk to the candidates and see if they actually have views or are they just trying to say what they think people want to hear so they get votes.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Couldn't have said it better myself. Election signs are an eyesore and only create name recognition. If the electorate votes based on this alone, it deserves the council it gets.

I completely agree with both comments. Signs are an eyesore and annoying. Such a waste of money. Please vote based on more than just the number of signs someone puts up. If a candidate chooses not to put up signs, that's fine. It doesn't mean he/she isn't interested or taking anything for granted. Maybe it's a choice to be environmentally friendly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm 

gdm894 wrote:
So do some of you actually vote based on the number of candidate signs you can spot? Based on a couple of posts it would seem that way. Sometimes I feel like voting for whoever has the least or no signs at all, what a waste of time they are, says nothing about the candidates position really. Personally I'd like to actually meet and talk to the candidates and see if they actually have views or are they just trying to say what they think people want to hear so they get votes.

I hate signs (though I have two on my lawn). Sadly, I think a number of people do vote based on signs. I don't get it. I think mist people on here do research. It's anecdotal but Arnold Huffman papered his Ward last time and won though arguably by a small amount and vote splitting in Timberlea was a significant factor. Dianna Rabenda signs were everywhere for Catholic Trustee and she ran over the competition.

I wish more people researched the job and made informed choices rather than who's sign they remember or who came to their door. The system would work better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 pm 

I hope you are right Zeeshan! I'd be happy to host another sign but it would look weird to have a ward 8 councillor sign on a ward 6 lawn ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:15 pm 

If you aren't freshly landed here and at least going to local events and such you'll see who cares about Milton as community and not just the source of additional income.
This is why I'll vote for or between Colin simply the Best, Rick the Villager :), Zeeshan and Mike Cluett.
Not only because I see them often at events I'm going to, but because they have done things for us and they care about Milton as community to be not just land with postal code, but very special place to live.
The problem is in the nature of Milton. Fastest growing community in Canada. People coming in large numbers and leaving fast.
It is like holding municipal election at Union Station.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm 

Zeeshan Hamid wrote:
freemantrailfamily wrote:
I wish more people researched the job and made informed choices rather than who's sign they remember or who came to their door. The system would work better.

To give people a benefit of doubt, it is possible that signs create name recognition which then encourages residents to research candidates.

In 2010 I knocked on each door in my ward twice. I had two additional literature drops (so a total of four literature drops). And yet I met residents who had never seen any of my literature, mostly because they tossed whatever came to their door in the recycling bin without looking at it. Sign, as annoying and in-your-face they are, force us on residents.

For better or worse, I am the best option in ward 8. One candidate doesn't even live here, others moved to Milton a few short months ago (heck one is so new that he is running for the Milton *City* Council, even though there is no such office in Milton, it being a town and all).

So if I don't use signs then even knocking on each door will only introduce me to ~20% of residents (most people aren't home, don't want to talk etc). Others won't even know to research me.

Signs, sadly, are a necessary evil in campaigning. I say if you can't beat them then join them and host a sign yourself ;-)

Zeeshan Hamid

How is it possible that someone can run for council and not even live in the town?? I saw that on the candidate list and thought maybe it was just a work mailing address or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm 

kf095 wrote:

Choose wiesely in upcoming elections otherwise this will be Miltons destiny...btw beautiful sky shot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:33 pm 

kf095 wrote:

This is a classic picture, says a LOT.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 am 

Zeeshan is right about the signs. They do create name recognition with voters as people drive or walk by them, they remember the name. Ive had a number of people who are newer to Milton call and email me requesting information, questions, and lawn signs due to seeing one of them in their neighbourhood.

I like to call them a necessary evil of politics. I also do hope that residents take the time to research the candidates for each of the positions and come to their own conclusions. I have tried my best to personally visit every door, but with 15,000 homes in wards 1,6,7,8 its been a difficult task. With less than 40 days to go before election day, I am going to be working hard to get to as many people as possible and give them reasons why they should elect me for Regional Councillor in wards 1,6,7,8.

Like Zeeshan there are a couple of candidates who dont live in the ward (on is in ward 2 and the other in ward 5) No matter waht ward you live in, find the list of candidates, visit their websites, call or email them with questions and make your choice to see who is more suited to represent you on council.

I'll see you at the doors.

Mike

Zeeshan Hamid wrote:
freemantrailfamily wrote:

To give people a benefit of doubt, it is possible that signs create name recognition which then encourages residents to research candidates.

In 2010 I knocked on each door in my ward twice. I had two additional literature drops (so a total of four literature drops). And yet I met residents who had never seen any of my literature, mostly because they tossed whatever came to their door in the recycling bin without looking at it. Sign, as annoying and in-your-face they are, force us on residents.

For better or worse, I am the best option in ward 8. One candidate doesn't even live here, others moved to Milton a few short months ago (heck one is so new that he is running for the Milton *City* Council, even though there is no such office in Milton, it being a town and all).

So if I don't use signs then even knocking on each door will only introduce me to ~20% of residents (most people aren't home, don't want to talk etc). Others won't even know to research me.

Signs, sadly, are a necessary evil in campaigning. I say if you can't beat them then join them and host a sign yourself ;-)

Zeeshan Hamid

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 am 

It looks like that pic was taken across from the Metro where the clothing donation bin use to be.

A high traffic/visible area, where the signs will get noticed, yet the background makes for clever photography.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 am 

Too bad we don't have an independent rating system where we can rate the incumbents as they are trying for another term of 4 years. What did they promise last time? Did they keep their promises, or where they just hollow rhetoric? Did they fail to deliver, and if so, why? What are they promising now, and how do they intend to keep their promises this time. How do this year's promises compare to last time? Basically the incumbents have had 4 years to try and do what they promised, so if it all worked out, we should be living in a wonderful world, yet this site is full of comments and complaints that tell us otherwise.

Personally I see very few A's on the present council, with mostly B's and C's. But than again it is difficult to strive for the greater good if the leader is a typical small town mayor whose primary strength is being a PR person, with no vision and no leadership skills to steer us where we want to be and should be. A big fat B- is richly deserved. And of course, one of our A's now considers a council position as a stop gap measure while he is trying to secure a more prestigious position and will abandon ship at the earliest opportunity. Too bad, because we can really use him here.

Research your preferred candidate, ask the really tough questions (and ignore the self-congratulatory chest thumping of how great they are), find out the real facts and choose wisely. Don't be fooled by the number of signs someone has planted around the neighborhood. Just my 2 cents worth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:07 pm 

Retrodiver wrote:
It looks like that pic was taken across from the Metro where the clothing donation bin use to be.

A high traffic/visible area, where the signs will get noticed, yet the background makes for clever photography.

Yes it was taken where Metro is. It was cleaned next day after this picture was posted here.
Only after Mr. Cluett personal involvement.
Here is another picturesque garbage at the same street and picture was also posted at this forum.
It is still where due to the absence or election campaign posters and because we are not electing school stuff where this garbage is located and city management is also non-elected and they have plenty of time and good salary for lousy work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm 

Mike_Cluett wrote:
Zeeshan is right about the signs. They do create name recognition with voters as people drive or walk by them, they remember the name.

It's true. Based on his campaign slogan, I think Scott Prior is Batman.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:00 pm 

Had a weird conversation today that included some of the points mentioned here about name recognition versus history. As a woman of colour, I've always said we need some more diversity on the Town and Regional Councils so a friend was understandably confused when I mentioned that Mike had my vote for Regional Councillor. She thought I would and should cast my vote for Mian.

The only argument she had against Mike was that there were enough white men on the council. The only argument she had in favour of Mian was that he could represent the changing face of Milton ( aka the 'Brown Vote').

I argued that anyone could represent the constantly evolving demographic that is Milton if they cared about the community and was actively engaged in building a better one as Mike has been for the past four years. Her comeback was that only Mian has signs between the 407 and Trafalgar along Derry so he cares about rural Milton too. (Signs = Name recognition = Votes?)

We had a Regional Councillor with zero Town Council experience and that ended badly. Why would we put another complete newbie in that position? I don't have facebook so when I looked up Mian, my options were limited. He's been fairly active in his Pakistani community but I didn't find anything Milton based that didn't have anything to do with his ethnic background. If someone has links otherwise, please post. I don't want the only thing I know of him to be the YouTube video where he was protesting NATO (and Canada's) policies/treatment of Pakistan in 2011. Also if he's a Federal employee, is that a conflict of interest? Is that allowed?

It saddens me that a candidates record doesn't count as much as how many signs you can put up or the colour of your skin. I think also we need to know more about our candidates than their names or their names may as well all be Tony Lambert. Door to door campaigning is ineffective as a means of really knowing candidates. Candidates should all be willing to do Q&A's in public forums every weekend until elections. Does anyone know if any of these are planned? I know Steve Camilleri hosted one last elections. Anything in the works this time around?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 pm 

Annie wrote:
Had a weird conversation today that included some of the points mentioned here about name recognition versus history. As a woman of colour, I've always said we need some more diversity on the Town and Regional Councils so a friend was understandably confused when I mentioned that Mike had my vote for Regional Councillor. She thought I would and should cast my vote for Mian.

The only argument she had against Mike was that there were enough white men on the council. The only argument she had in favour of Mian was that he could represent the changing face of Milton ( aka the 'Brown Vote').

I argued that anyone could represent the constantly evolving demographic that is Milton if they cared about the community and was actively engaged in building a better one as Mike has been for the past four years. Her comeback was that only Mian has signs between the 407 and Trafalgar along Derry so he cares about rural Milton too. (Signs = Name recognition = Votes?)

We had a Regional Councillor with zero Town Council experience and that ended badly. Why would we put another complete newbie in that position? I don't have facebook so when I looked up Mian, my options were limited. He's been fairly active in his Pakistani community but I didn't find anything Milton based that didn't have anything to do with his ethnic background. If someone has links otherwise, please post. I don't want the only thing I know of him to be the YouTube video where he was protesting NATO (and Canada's) policies/treatment of Pakistan in 2011. Also if he's a Federal employee, is that a conflict of interest? Is that allowed?

It saddens me that a candidates record doesn't count as much as how many signs you can put up or the colour of your skin. I think also we need to know more about our candidates than their names or their names may as well all be Tony Lambert. Door to door campaigning is ineffective as a means of really knowing candidates. Candidates should all be willing to do Q&A's in public forums every weekend until elections. Does anyone know if any of these are planned? I know Steve Camilleri hosted one last elections. Anything in the works this time around?

Great points made Annie.

I found something on the Cogeco website "Behind the Ballot", which will air in October. I think it may only be taped addresses, not a debate. I found some stuff from 2010 on YouTube done by Milton Today TV, some limited interviews. Anything for 2014, not sure? (EDIT: Milton Today TV is defunct!)

I wonder how well the majority of our candidates would fare in a for-real debate, it would be very revealing to see a debate series. You can only make so much of an assessment using the media served up by the candidate. To catch them out of their comfort zones, in the crosshairs so to speak, is where you want them. I think that's a big reason why so many of them avoid this forum for example, it is not a safe place for them if they really have nothing to say.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04 am 

Last election, Milton seniors organized an all-candidates debate. Well attended, informative but too many candidates to get a really good feel for any. This time there are even more candidates, 60 total.

In the past I have suggested that the town coordinate debates to raise interest and turnout. The town could encourage service groups to hold debates for the senior positions; encourage individuals to organize Ward and school board debates, maybe including Local/Regional candidates; discount room rental rates for election meetings; and maintain a central register of debate locations/timing. This approach would help voter decision-making and maybe help offset the name-recognition factor (maybe that’s why it hasn’t happened).

It really isn’t difficult to organize a ward debate. Gather a few friends to help, pick a room and a date, confirm with candidates, and promote locally. If cost is an issue, put out a donation bucket. The town offers a range of room sizes depending on expected attendance.
http://www.milton.ca/en/play/resources/ ... _chart.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next