HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm 

Mike,

thank you for getting the garbage cleaned up.

what i wrote previously, is just because i'm tired of the long delays of getting anything down through the town and i appologize to you.

once again, thank you and i do appologize.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm 

Cluett rules!!!

Here is another one at the west end of same road.
At new high school area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 am 

Its probably price matchers. They don't care about those around them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:15 am 

Good point Fred D!

Mike, I am also not clear on the difference between Local vs Local & Regional. Could you briefly explain?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am 

About $40k per year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:41 pm 

Jawesh, Milton is part of a two tiered local government. Milton Town Council, and Halton Regional Council which encompasses Milton, Halton Hills, Oakville and Burlington.

Milton Town Councillors and are part time and have responsibilities for overseeing Town Government. These are primarily Community Services (so parks and recreation) and local planning and admin (development applications, permits, bylaw enforcement, parking, transit, local road maintenence). There are 8 local Wards in Milton, each with one representative that sits on Milton Town Council plus the Mayor.

Halton Regional Government is responsible for decision making on water, waste water, garbage, regional transportation planning and infrastucture (so anything related to Regional Road 25, Tremaine, Derry, Steeles, Britannia, and Trafalgar Roads). There is overlap in development planning as they review and incorporate local officials plans in the larger regional planning context (and the province also gets involves there too looking at the Regional plans in the provincial planning sphere and have final approval). The Region also delivers police services and some health services like Paramedics, health inspection services, some public health programs and services that you are most likely to run into if you are a parent or senior like many of the programs offered through MCRC, and administration of public housing in the region. The social service areas of government work very closely with not-for-profit agencies in the program delivery. Halton Regional Council consists of 22 elected members - 7 from Burlington, 7 from Oakville, 3 from Milton, and 3 from Halton Hills and the Regional Chair. The representatives from each municipality also include the Mayors of each municipality. The elected officials for regional government also sit on their respective local councils except the Regional Chair (who is like the Mayor of the Region - currently Gary Carr).

In Milton the regional reps are the Mayor, then a representative whose area is Wards 2,3,4 and 5 (basically north of Derry). That representative is currently Colin Best and has been for two terms. His previous term he sat on the Regional Social Services Standing Committee, this past term he sat on (actually was elected committee chair) of Administration and Planning. Social Services was T-Lamb's position though Colin or the Mayor often had to sit in for him and his regional colleagues elected him to virtually no committees at all so he was next to useless, basically sticking up his hand to vote occasionally. They also have to be prepared for the same issues that go to local council and sit on local town committees with their local councillor colleagues in addition to the Regional Council meetings and issues hence the term local and regional councillor.

Basically because you are dealing in a minority situation, and also at level of government where the planning and service delivery is larger I think we need representatives with experience in the social services area locally and with experience in the complexities of local planning not only from a perspective of understanding how the system works but also knowing well the issues in the community and who can work well with others to get things done because most of your colleagues are not from Milton and are looking out for their community's interests. You need to have good people skills and be knowledgeable in order to earn the respect of your regional colleagues and convince them to vote for issues in a way that is best for Milton. You also have to work well your other elected regional and local officials to effectively communicate and advocate for regional issues affecting them and their constituents.

Oakville and Burlington have 6 wards so they elect a local councillor and regional councillor for each ward. Mississauga has enough seats on Peel Regional Council that local councillors are full time and also automatically sit on Regional Government as well so it's really weird coming from on of the other areas to get used to the breakdown here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:43 pm 

Could never do that. There are to many people that would take advantage. Living in an active construction site, I see the same people day in and day out driving in with garbage dumping it into the bins for the construction materials.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:30 am 

freemantrailfamily wrote:
Social Services was T-Lamb's position though Colin or the Mayor often had to sit in for him and his regional colleagues elected him to virtually no committees at all so he was next to useless, basically sticking up his hand to vote occasionally.

Hi Everyone,

This is not accurate. Councillor Best and Mayor Krantz substituted for me a few times at sub-committee meetings during the years I sat on regional council, due to family reasons. Regional councillors agree to sit on committees and are not elected to them. I sat on the Grand River Conservation Authority's (GRCA) Strategic Planning Committee, the Halton Community Investment Fund (HCIC), as well as the Halton Community Housing Corporation's (HCHC) board of directors. The GRCA manages land and water resources for 39 municipalities including Milton and Halton Hills. The HCIC reviews and approves funding for community support organizations, and the HCHC manages services for affordable housing, emergency shelter and housing with supports for those in Halton in need. It was a pleasure for me to serve on these committees.

The protection and preservation of our environment, and social services is important to me. That is why I was very happy that while I was on regional council, the $1.44 billion dollar infrastruture program was reached with developers, which ensured funding is in place for Halton's necessary transportation, water and wastewater projects, including the widening of Britannia road 8 years ahead of schedule. Thereby making growth pay for itself, and not take away from funding the services provided by the committees I sat on above. I firmly believe growth must pay for itself, and by voting for me I will advocate strongly in the next round of negotiations with developers, that developers pay for growth, and not taxpayers.

Thank You,
Tony

Tony Lambert
Candidate For
Town & Regional Councillor
Milton & Halton Region
Wards 1,6,7 and 8
http://www.tony-lambert.ca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 pm 

Councillor Cluett, we need you again.
The same phoney clothing box is back in the lot across from Metro. Can the town have it removed before the dumping begins all over again? Thank you in advance.

Edit. This thread features the old Annie, that I now miss. Come back old Annie.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:54 pm 

I wish the penalty for illegal dumping was 10 hours of community service cleaning up garbage around Milton. A fitting punishment. Hehe. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 am 

Thanks for the heads up. Ive already received a number of calls and emails about this. Staff have been informed and we'll be working quickly to get this cleaned up as soon as possible.

There are a number of these bins located around town and 9 times out of ten they are illegally placed. Its the same as if they came up to your front lawn and put the bin there. There have also been a number of stories that the proceeds from the sale of goods donated not going to the charities listed on the box. The more people use them, the more they are encouraging this behaviour.

I'll keep you posted.

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:59 pm 

Don't use these bins. Canadian Diabetes Association Clothesline program is doing a pick up on Apr 2 and if you you schedule a pick up at your door before Mar 31, you can win a $5000 dream vacation or 1 of 10 $500 vouchers.

http://www.diabetes.ca/how-you-can-help/clothesline

You need 3 bags to qualify but it's better than creating eyesores around milton, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm 

MiltonShiv wrote:
You need 3 bags to qualify but it's better than creating eyesores around milton, right?

Do we have to buy tags if there are more than 3 bags?

Hay-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*audience laughter*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:56 am 

Thank you councillor Cluett for having the box removed and a little tidying of the area completed a few weeks ago.
FYI, there are about 10 rolls of carpet dropped there today.
Maybe the town should block the driveway like anyother private vacant land owner would do on day 1.
Personally, I'd like the town to install an invisible fence and get a Junkyard dog to patrol.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 pm 

If your going to illegally dump, at least have the courtesy to call 311 and give them the location. Or use one of the bins in any one of the construction sites.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next