HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm 

HI,
My kids were walking home from school yesterday, passed the neighbor's house(3 houses away) their Doberman ran out the front door, on the street and stood a foot away from my kids and starting barking. The owner called his dog, 2-3 times and the dog went back in, but my kids were pretty shaken up. the neighbors are new should i speak to them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm 

Go up to your neighbour with your kids and say your kids are afraid of dogs now if he can introduce his dog to them. everyone wins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:36 am 

Oh ya, I would talk to the neighbour. Under the circumstances any kid would be scared and by not immediately coming out and grabbing the dog it would appear that the dog owner does not understand that. Your kids should not have to wonder if it is safe for them to walk home from school.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:42 pm 

Def talk to the neighbour about this. No dog should be off leash outside unless in a fenced off area. It only takes one incident to make the rest of us dog owners look bad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:52 pm 

Maybe the dog pushed past his owner as the owner was coming out the door or going in. It happens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:49 pm 

Definitely talk to the neighbour. I can understand a dog may push past you and get out BUT in this case from what you've said, the owner stood there and just called to it when it was clear the dog was being aggressive in front of some kids walking on the sidewalk. In a case like this, if it was an accident, I would expect the owner to bolt right after the dog and get it under control BEFORE it got anywhere close to someone else. Even if it did stop in front of some kids and started barking the owner would probably get there a few seconds later and rein in his pet. It would make the kids feel much safer.
I know people love their pets and sometimes feel they know them and can trust that they wouldn't harm anyone, however, there have been plenty of instances where for various unknown reasons people's longtime pets have suddenly attacked them, their kids, others etc.

To me it's simple, you can implement any level of trust etc in your own home, but when outside your pet should be appropriately restrained with a leash and in cases like the OP's you should immediately go running after and get a hold of your dog. Safety first.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:45 pm 

When I read certain posts on this forum, I wonder how some people are even able to hold down a job.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:33 pm 

Thankyou all for the replies. Yes i agree the dog ran out accidentally, but such a simple mistake can lead to a big accident. i got concerned after seeing so many videos and news of neighbors dog attacking kids.
Thankyou all once again for the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:38 am 

Don't talk to the neighbour. Deal with months of fear and animosity instead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:47 pm 

There is a reason the owner "just stood there". If they ran towards the dog, the dog would have no way to tell if its owner was running at it, or your kids, would assume your kids and it too would start running at your kids.
If you do end up speaking with the neighbors, try to assume they don't have bad intentions and they didn't just select that breed to eat the neighborhood children ;) I have protection trained dogs that scare the pants off people and I always feel really bad when they scare people they're not intended to. They love children, but are trained to bark and have no idea how scary they are.
If you're worried about your children's safety, you're best off asking about their dog, whether or not it likes kids, is used to kids, what kind of training it's had, etc. Then, ask if it's ok if your kids got to meet the dog? If they're 3 houses down, chances are it will happen again. Also, teach your kids to never ever run from these types of dogs. They'll never outrun them for one, and they've been selectively bred for many generations to have high prey drive (chase moving things) so by running or making sudden movements, they're just asking for the dog to grab them. Even my own dogs bite me (playfully) when I run... it's pure instinct.
Before starting the conversation, ask yourself if you want to be "right" or "effective"? If you want your kids to be able to play in the street and feel safe, make friends with the owners. If you want to be right, tell them how stupid and irresponsible and wrong they are, point out city by-laws about about how their dog has to be on a leash and give them stink-eye when they have the audacity to leave their house. You'll get to teach your kids a valuable life lesson that it's ok to treat neighbors like dirt as long as there's a rule about something and you're right. (that last part was mainly just a vent about my last neighbors lol :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 am 

LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:
There is a reason the owner "just stood there". If they ran towards the dog, the dog would have no way to tell if its owner was running at it, or your kids, would assume your kids and it too would start running at your kids.

No one "runs" 10 or 15 feet, but there is no question that the owner of the dog should have immediately retrieved the dog physically and not stood in the doorway like a moron calling the dog into the home while it barks / confront little kids.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 am 

+1000 Halton Home Inspector!!! It is the responsibility of the owner to control the dog, not people telling little children how to behave.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:

No one "runs" 10 or 15 feet

I don't understand this? Are you fat or something?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
LovelyThanks4Asking wrote:

No one "runs" 10 or 15 feet, but there is no question that the owner of the dog should have immediately retrieved the dog physically and not stood in the doorway like a moron calling the dog into the home while it barks / confront little kids.

According to human etiquette, yes. But if the owner is trying to teach their dog that children are not threats, it sounds like they did the right thing. If I ran after my dog (or advanced towards him to retrieve him, however you want to phrase it), I would be communicating to him that the children are threats, and by approaching them, I'm becoming the aggressor, and that will not help the situation. If my goal is to get my dog away from a child, I have to first get my dog to trust that I don't feel threatened, which it sounds like the owner did.
I totally understand why someone would outraged that their children can't walk down their street without being scared but the solution to that is not to call them a moron and make judgements on how they handle their dog. I teach my son that if he gets bit by a dog, it will more than likely be his own fault because he's not behaving properly around the dog. He can't rely on the owners that they've trained their dog properly, enclosed it securely or will be there to recall it. What if the handler suffers a heart attack while safely and responsibly walking his dog on a leash, following all rules and by-laws? Accidents happen and people make mistakes. If parents decide that their kids are responsible enough to go out by themselves, they should also be sure that the kids are confident enough to handle these kinds of situations. Therefore, shaking hands and getting to know the owners and the dog might be helpful.
It's unfortunate to see that people seem so offended, almost as if it's a deliberate, personal attack on their rights and freedoms by the owner when they don't receive a warm, friendly greeting from a dog and feel that they should have an unfettered right to approach and pet any dog they choose and it's up to the owner to make sure that their dog likes them. I train with a lot of people who have their dogs as PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) dogs after serving in the military or going through any other violent, traumatic events. The dogs are extremely helpful for them to feel normal and safe. They're not there as a fashion statement or testosterone indicator as people love to assume.
...and yes I fully understand that the kids were doing nothing wrong, not where they weren't supposed to be and the owner was at fault for letting the dog slip out but I'm sure the owner is aware of that but pointing out who is offside doesn't really help the kids or improve their chances of playing safely on their street which they have every right to do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 pm 

Thankyou all. I did talk our neighbor very politely, he did remember the incident. He apologized. I told him i did not come for an apology or an argument, but just a reminder that such a mistake can lead to serious accidents. He was v nice and understanding. He explained they have recently moved to the new house and the pet is trying to adjust and getting familiar to new environment. fair enough.
Throughout our conversation the dog was barking in the background :)