HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm 

I have a gas fireplace that is operated by a wall switch. We love using it in the fall and winter months to warm up our family room. We tend to keep the house on the cool side (21 in the winter) and its nice to make that room a little more cozy on demand.

However it does heat very well and the room quickly gets hot, so we have to stand up and go switch it off after 10 minutes or so. 30 minutes later we may want to turn it back on again so again you have to stand up and go turn it on again. Basically it never stops, just up/down/up/down etc.

Is there some sort of thermostat or remote that could be wired into the wall switch to make it a little easier? Ideally we could program in a target temperature and it will automatically turn on and off as needed (only want to operate when we are using the room). Failing that just a remote or something to manually on/off.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm 

Yes, I've seen thermostats on many gas fireplaces
http://www.homedepot.com/c/selecting_ri ... e_HT_BG_EL

John Allingham
Owner & Certified Home Inspector
Halton-Peel Home Inspection
(416) 254-5869
inspect@peelhomeinspection.com
http://www.peelhomeinspection.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:53 pm 

I think you want a remote.
I would never let a thermostat turn on a gas appliance. What if the pilot is out and it turns on? You'd never know until you drifted into a deep sleep.
Edit: I just realized that is exactly how my furnace works. Yikes. Maybe call Mason at Nissan Air and get an informed opinion.

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
I think you want a remote.
I would never let a thermostat turn on a gas appliance. What if the pilot is out and it turns on? You'd never know until you drifted into a deep sleep.
Edit: I just realized that is exactly how my furnace works. Yikes. Maybe call Mason at Nissan Air and get an informed opinion.

Yes, and that's how your water heater works as well. Fortunately flame sensors shut everything down if need be.

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:06 pm 

Installing a fan / blower under the gas fireplace will blow the warmed air out into the home reducing the hot zone in front of the fireplace.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm 

Halton Home Inspector wrote:
Installing a fan / blower under the gas fireplace will blow the warmed air out into the home reducing the hot zone in front of the fireplace.

No foolin'?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 pm 

Norts999 wrote:

No foolin'?

Well, maybe you know that Norts, but the OP may not. Fans in these fireplaces can sometimes comfortably heat entire first floors. The result is that the furnace runs less. I would also suggest that having the furnace fan in the ON setting would also move this heated air around the home but you already know that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 am 

HaltonPeelHomeInspection wrote:
........ Fortunately flame sensors shut everything down if need be.

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869

Fireplace too? I learned something.
Don't fireplaces need some special Microsomething switch?

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 am 

I actually didnt know you could retrofit a fan/blower into a gas fireplace - i figured that was a factory installed option and the builders model just didnt come with one. I'll have to look into that as well for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am 

daval wrote:

I actually didnt know you could retrofit a fan/blower into a gas fireplace - i figured that was a factory installed option and the builders model just didnt come with one. I'll have to look into that as well for sure.

No, you can definitely add one. Down side of course is that you MAY need to run a wire to power it. Yes, Norts may find this so obvious, but the blower will suck air from the bottom of your fireplace and blow it out the top.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 am 

Norts999 wrote:

Don't worry too much about not noticing it, natural gas is heavier than air and smells like hell. If there is a gas leak, it's more likely to seep under something and blow up when there is a spark. You'd need a lot though. I've had gas leaking into my kitchen in a new construction home when the line wasn't capped properly and the explosion wasn't as grand and spectacular as one would think... which is nice to know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 am 

Looks like you are looking for this...

http://www.smarthome.com/skytech-systems-ts-r-2a-wireless-fireplace-thermostat-remote.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 am 

I've got said fan installed in my gas fireplace after the fact. It has the added convenience of being thermostat controlled so it comes on by itself when the fireplace reaches a certain temperature (and turns off a few minutes after you turn off the FP, after it has cooled down a bit). Had to run a 14/2 cable to power it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:59 am 

Gecko, any more info on said install, model numbers, manufacturer etc..?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
HaltonPeelHomeInspection wrote:
........ Fortunately flame sensors shut everything down if need be.

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869

Fireplace too? I learned something.
Don't fireplaces need some special Microsomething switch?

The flame sensor is technically a thermocouple. When thermocouples are heated (eg by a pilot light) they produce a micro-current (milli-amps) which goes to the wall switch and allows you to turn on the main gas valve. If the thermocouple craps out or loses heat, the fail-safe main gas valve closes.

John Allingham
(416) 254-5869