HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:20 pm 

@ LolaBee I do understand and I shouldn't have vent like that but I am very, very frustrated.
@ P&A its not just the allergies or asthma that I can get her allergy shots and try to manage.. but her cornea is already has scars as a result of high inflammation due to her allergies which can lead to permanent blindness.
I have decided to take him to the humane society in next few days with all his information written on the piece of paper and just leave him at the door and don't look back :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:29 am 

Xeemaa wrote:
I have decided to take him to the humane society in next few days with all his information written on the piece of paper and just leave him at the door and don't look back :(

Ugh did you really do that??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:33 pm 

Do you not have any relatives, friends or neighbours that would take him? Maybe even co-workers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 pm 

Xeemaa wrote:

You are irresponsible, heartless and cruel.
Don't ever buy a pet again...not even a rat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 am 

NewInTown wrote:
Xeemaa wrote:

Irresponsible for taking actions necessary to protect her CHILD that could possibly go blind because of the allergies ????? I am sure from what it sounds like that she has tried to do things to keep the cat and has contacted several animal shelters - including making several efforts to find it a new home - Why didn't you adopt the cat? I find some of the comments so fricken rude when someone has come on to this site to ask for HELP!!! SMH - yes its sad that she would have to leave it but a little human may go blind if she doesn't did you read that part? what would you do if it was your child????????

Valerie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 am 

Valerie wrote:
NewInTown wrote:
Xeemaa wrote:

Irresponsible for taking actions necessary to protect her CHILD that could possibly go blind because of the allergies ????? I am sure from what it sounds like that she has tried to do things to keep the cat and has contacted several animal shelters - including making several efforts to find it a new home - Why didn't you adopt the cat? I find some of the comments so fricken rude when someone has come on to this site to ask for HELP!!! SMH - yes its sad that she would have to leave it but a little human may go blind if she doesn't did you read that part? what would you do if it was your child????????

I would (and did) as much research as I could to find a way to Co-exist. I made a commitment when I chose to adopt my cats and they are my family also. My son is severely asthmatic and an allergy sufferer and with proper care and attention I've been able to keep my family members and find ways to keep my sons asthma and allergies under control. It can be done. I certainly would not abandon my pets and not look back, that is an absolute sin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:39 am 

Irresponsible for taking actions necessary to protect her CHILD that could possibly go blind because of the allergies ????? I am sure from what it sounds like that she has tried to do things to keep the cat and has contacted several animal shelters - including making several efforts to find it a new home - Why didn't you adopt the cat? I find some of the comments so fricken rude when someone has come on to this site to ask for HELP!!! SMH - yes its sad that she would have to leave it but a little human may go blind if she doesn't did you read that part? what would you do if it was your child????????[/quote]

I would (and did) as much research as I could to find a way to Co-exist. I made a commitment when I chose to adopt my cats and they are my family also. My son is severely asthmatic and an allergy sufferer and with proper care and attention I've been able to keep my family members and find ways to keep my sons asthma and allergies under control. It can be done. I certainly would not abandon my pets and not look back, that is an absolute sin.[/quote]

It can be done obviously- in your sons situation - how do you know the severity of her child's situation? was your son at risk of losing his eyesight? was it that severe? that's all I am trying to say - don't bash until you are in their shoes - if your child was at risk of going blind then what?

Valerie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 am 

I have a hard time giving some 'pet owners' the benefit of the doubt because sooooo many people just toss their pets aside as soon as things get difficult. I can't speak of this situation because who knows how severe the allergies really are. I've been well informed of the potential health risks that may arise as a result of not removing my cats from my home, and I still, refuse to turn my back on my two cats. Time and time again we see threads like this on here of 'looking for new home' 'suddenly got allergies' I cannot personally adopt the cat. I have to put some limitations on my passion for animals, otherwise I'd literally have a house full of pets. Call me a bad mother, judge all you want. I am a pet owner, and have a responsibility to my cats that I chose. Just my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:08 pm 

I respect your opinion but have a hard time when others judge when they haven't walked in her shoes (her situation is unique) ...I think in her situation her child should come first .. I am also an animal lover but my dog hates cats so I cannot take in a cat although I would love to! I think she would be a bad mother if she didn't get rid of the cat and her child ended up being blind because of it.. or worse.. so please don't judge her for her actions - she reached out to her "neighbours" for help and still we judge... kinda sad... it doesn't sound like its been an easy decision for her lets not make it worse by posting mean comments ...my opinion ......

Valerie

Last edited by Valerie on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:30 pm 

Valerie wrote:
I respect your opinion but have a hard time when others judge when they haven't walked in her shoes (her situation is unique) ...I think in her situation her child should come first .. I am also an animal lover but my dog hates cats so I cannot take in a cat although I would love to! I think she would be a bad mother if she didn't get rid of the cat and her child ended up being blind because of it.. or worse.. so please don't judge her for her actions - she reached out to her "neighbours" for help and still we judge... kinda sad... it doesn't sound like its been a hard decision for her lets not make it worse by posting mean comments ...my opinion ......

+1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:07 am 

I don't have kids (or want kids or even like kids...) but I do understand that this is a pretty extreme circumstance and if you have to choose between keeping the cat or blinding the kid, the choice is clear. Blind the kid! Ok just kidding, the kitty needs a new home.
Having said that, what doesn't sit well with me is dropping the cat off on the humane society's back door and saying "best of luck" basically. To never know what became of him, if he's safe and being loved or if he ended up getting put to sleep? I would never be able to sleep again or look myself in the mirror.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:58 am 

I agree..I feel bad for the cat also and the cat definitely needs a new forever home... maybe she could try posting on Kijiji or something to find it a new home.. I would be happy to post on my facebook and see if any of my friends would like the cat although the OP hasn't posted again....

Valerie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:45 pm 

NewInTown wrote:
Xeemaa wrote:

Agreed. This, coupled with her previous (incorrect) assertion about the Oakville Humane Society leads me to believe she is full of crap. I know that children should come first, but that does not mean that you throw your responsibility towards your animals out the door. Also, the claim that her child is being blinded is a gross exaggeration. I tried not to comment, but it's so frustrating seeing the same ridiculousness repeated. When you adopted a cat, you are in for 20 years of responsibility. If you see yourself having kids in that time, prepare for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 pm 

k8-90 wrote:
NewInTown wrote:
Xeemaa wrote:

Agreed. This, coupled with her previous (incorrect) assertion about the Oakville Humane Society leads me to believe she is full of crap. I know that children should come first, but that does not mean that you throw your responsibility towards your animals out the door. Also, the claim that her child is being blinded is a gross exaggeration. I tried not to comment, but it's so frustrating seeing the same ridiculousness repeated. When you adopted a cat, you are in for 20 years of responsibility. If you see yourself having kids in that time, prepare for it.

Amen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 pm 

As much as a love my pet, if my kid was suffering because of it, I would try my very best to accommodate, but when it comes down to it, the child has to come first. If everyone the kind of pet owner you expect everyone to be, the shelters wouldn't need to exist -- Keep in mind they adopted and cared for this cat for years which may have otherwise been killed or housed at a shelter. Its really unfortunate that one is put into the position where they have to decide and literally no one would take the cat. We had a really tough decision when we had a cat and then we also got a dog. They got along fine for a long time but eventually the cat would get so stressed out it was losing hair even though we kept the dog in his own part of the house. Eventually we asked my MIL to take the cat which she wasn't 100% interested in, but we agreed we would pay all vet bills, food, littler costs and she was then on-board. She wanted a cat for company but was worried she wouldn't be able to afford it.

It is maybe an option as crass as it may sound to pay someone to take care of the cat -- in our situation she got a lot of love from my MIL and the cat was a fantastic companion, but it helped our situation nicely -- and the cat was much happier for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next