HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:22 pm 

The newly formed school council at Craig Kielburger Secondary School is proud to present a moderated debate for the public school trustee candidates for wards 1, 6, 7 & 8.

The debate will be held at the school on Tuesday October 9th, at 7pm.

If you wish to submit a question ahead of time please submit your question and indicate to which trustee candidate it is directed to at debate@ondercin.net. Questions may also be submitted at the door. All questions will be drawn randomly the night of the debate.

Everyone is welcome, please encourage your friends and neighbours to attend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:31 pm 

October 9th is a Thursday. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46 pm 

Thanks for correcting that Kim, glad someone was reading my post!

Just to confirm, the debate is on THURSDAY 9th, at 7pm.

Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

I am very much looking forward to the debate!

Thank you in advance to the organizers who are putting this together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 pm 

Any similar debates organised for other wards too ?
I have no clue who to vote for. I am in Ward 4.
I would like to attend. TIA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:45 pm 

Droidy wrote:
The newly formed school council at Craig Kielburger Secondary School is proud to present a moderated debate for the public school trustee candidates for wards 1, 6, 7 & 8.

The debate will be held at the school on Thursday October 9th, at 7pm.

If you wish to submit a question ahead of time please submit your question and indicate to which trustee candidate it is directed to at debate@ondercin.net. Questions may also be submitted at the door. All questions will be drawn randomly the night of the debate.

Everyone is welcome, please encourage your friends and neighbours to attend.

Congrats for the initiative. Hope you get a great turnout.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:55 pm 

Quick bump to remind everyone this is tomorrow night and from what Ive heard should be very well attended.

For those on Facebook heres the link https://www.facebook.com/events/282262868633349

Website | Email mike@mikecluett.ca | Cell (647) 888-9032 | Facebook Page | | Twitter @Mike_Cluett

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:40 am 

Tonight's the night for the debate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:19 pm 

miltonbound2014 wrote:
Any similar debates organised for other wards too ?
I have no clue who to vote for. I am in Ward 4.
I would like to attend. TIA.

Unfortunately there are no such debates scheduled for Ward 4. As to who to vote for my recommendation would be to read the campaign literature you receive and compare the candidates experience, record of community service and platforms. If you have questions do not hesitate in contacting the candidates.

If you have not yet received my first piece of literature you should get it soon. If you have any questions you can PM me here or contact me by phone or email.

Rick Malboeuf
Councillor Ward 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Enjoyed being at the debate last night and listening to the candidates. Had to leave at 8:15 so only caught the first hour and a bit. But good questions and answers. A few of them caught me off guard (the one about Milton schools having less technology than Oakville/Burlington as I haven't heard of that issue before.) but most were bang-on issues facing our schools.

In hindsight, would have been great if someone could have video-taped the whole thing to put online for others who couldn't make it to watch. But all-in, very well organized and moderated debate. Thanks for the organizers & school for setting it up and hosting. Glad to meet some of CKSS's school council as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:02 am 

so who won? Tell me who to vote for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 am 

Hi there, this is Giles vanderHolt. I'd be more than happy to come to your home and I can go over my platform.
please email me at gvanderholt@gmail.com.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:31 pm 

I was at the debate and found it very informative. Among all the trustee candidates I was impressed by Nik's agenda on various issues. He was proactive, strategic, well informed on many answers he provided during the debate. You can find more about him on below link. Make your own informed decision . I agree with Rick, It should be video taped. I did saw few parents recording it.
http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/ ... rds-1-6-8/
www.nikthakkar.ca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 pm 

I was at the debate as well. Nik was the one I was least impressed with. His numbers were wrong. Not sure where he was getting his information from. His idea of combining community centers and schools using center space as classroom overflow shows lack of research on community center space requirements vs classroom. Kim was the most well informed in my opinion. Well spoken, passionate, strong math and education background. Believes in engaging the parents, students and teachers actively to identify issues and has been actively doing that since being appointed over the summer. She has first hand experience with parent council as treasurer at Chris Hadfield and knows the space and boundary review issues from what Chris Hadfield, Bruce Trail and Hawthorne Village went through (and for Hawthorne and TJS are still dealing with). Solid answers to the questions presented. I thought Jaideep Kala was the next best prepared and had some good ideas on technology, communicating with parents, and using existing data to connect parents to programs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:38 pm 

Agreed on Kim. 2 votes in our house for her.

freemantrailfamily wrote:
I was at the debate as well. Nik was the one I was least impressed with. His numbers were wrong. Not sure where he was getting his information from. His idea of combining community centers and schools using center space as classroom overflow shows lack of research on community center space requirements vs classroom. Kim was the most well informed in my opinion. Well spoken, passionate, strong math and education background. Believes in engaging the parents, students and teachers actively to identify issues and has been actively doing that since being appointed over the summer. She has first hand experience with parent council as treasurer at Chris Hadfield and knows the space and boundary review issues from what Chris Hadfield, Bruce Trail and Hawthorne Village went through (and for Hawthorne and TJS are still dealing with). Solid answers to the questions presented. I thought Jaideep Kala was the next best prepared and had some good ideas on technology, communicating with parents, and using existing data to connect parents to programs.