HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:44 pm 

Yo, the entire string of games on the road trip has been a disaster. I watched first periods of all the games and was turned off each time. This group is horrid. I thought we can come back but there's a palpable feeling now for me at least that the season is a write off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:54 am 

"We Want Connor" clap clap clap clap clap..... just like lets go raptor. I would love for this to be a regular chant going forward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 pm 

if they win last place and lose the draw for first overall, they would still get 2nd overall, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 am 
The team was put together by a gang of know-nothings.... Quinn, Burke, and Nonis. Players are completely mismatched with one another, and that idiot Nonis has inked some of the most lucrative, stupid deals in hockey history.... Ever since Fletcher and Burns left town, management has stunk the joint out. Combine all of that with lack of leadership in the room and on the ice, lazy and poor positional play, and you get what we've got.:(

On the brighter side :)...There's no need to pull an Edmonton Oilers endless rebuild here. What the Leafs lack is alpha dog competitors... we don't have a Wendel Clark or a Dougie Gilmour.... that is the huge missing element ..just one player like that could put this team, that has talent, into the playoffs. The sum of the parts of this team should add up to a whole lot more than it is now but the parts still have value in trade to fill the needs of other teams. Nylander, Rielly, Connor Brown and the top pick we get in the draft are the new young core of this team going forward. Keep some of the existing players and trade the rest for more picks and prospects. And make sure to draft well and bet right on other team's prospects that you obtain in trade. Having Mark Hunter in the room for that challenge is timely. A new GM has assets to utilize here - if he's capable...... the current despair can be turned into excitement in a hurry.

Leafs in paradise one day!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:42 am 

Hutch wrote:
A new GM has assets to utilize here - if he's capable...... the current despair can be turned into excitement in a hurry.

Hutch is a Brian Burke alt account??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:43 am 

I don't quite agree with Pat Quinn being a know-nothing. The last time we had any semblance of success was when he was the coach. Granted, his teams were not defensively sound, but they had veteran leadership, grit (Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker, Gary Valk), good scoring (Sundin, Almo, Kaberle on the PP) and a good goalie (Cujo) which took them to two Final Fours in 1999 and 2002.

I don't watch the games anymore, but I flip to check scores. The season feels like death by a thousand paper cuts, and indeed, those horrible long-term contracts are crippling. Goodness gracious, how do you sign Phaneuf to 7 years and 49 million when he's underperformed during his entire tenure with the Leafs? You're stuck with Clarkson. We need stronger leadership, you're right Hutch. Someone mean and driven to win. I don't see any of that in Phaneuf and the rest of the team except for maybe Polak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:36 am 
Our new boss, Shanahan knew at the beginning of the season that this was not a cup team .....not even close. We all knew. It almost doesn't matter where they place. It's a question of asset management. If they exceed expectations we should trade while the value is high and get more picks. If they tank then we pick higher anyway. They key is to pick well and trade guys at the deadline instead of letting them go for nothing or buying them out like we keep doing. It's also important not to give up on young players because they tend to get better. Smart teams are patient and make careful decisions. For example, buying out Grabo to sign Clarkson effectively increases Clarkson's cap hit buy the amount of Grabo's buyout. We trade Lyles to Carolina for Gleason and then buy out Gleason who goes back to Carolina. We gave away 2 guys and are paying part of Gleason's salary to play for another team. We gave St Louis a top six forward (Steen) for a guy that we gave away for nothing. Why give Robidas a contract til he's 42? David Booth? What? Kontiola seems like the only Fin who can't skate. We're paying him 1.1 mil to play for the Marlies. We're paying part of Gunnarson's salary. Is Bozak a 4 million dollar centre? Orr and Mclaren together are hurting our cap by 1.5 million to fight on the farm.... The list goes on. It's not just mediocre drafting that's ruining the team.... It's a series of bad decisions.

BTW.... Leafs 4 Senators 2 enjoy the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:20 pm 
A lot of Questions in my rant Mr Prickly. Frustration and facts mixed together in a big Shawnkass cauldron.

I'll try to do my research better.

Leafs .500 rule!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:24 pm 

Hutch wrote:

Leafs .500 rule!

Your sign-offs are classic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:38 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
If they win, they become 23-23-3 and we can tell shawnkass that the team is .500 again.

Fan fiction stories about the Leafs should have a separate thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am 

We need McDavid. We need an NHL ready impact player to insert into the lineup.

If we draft someone that will fall into the Leafs new "patience protocol" our core will be in their 30's by the time they are ready to come up to play.

Meaning we'd have to start all over again!

See ya in 2022, folks.

Walmart rules!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am 

I check in at the 3rd period last night because I don't watch the games anymore, see that someone finally scored, and so we are up 1-0. I figure okay, we might pull this one off. I get awoken by my alerm clock turned to 680News at 5:30am, and I hear that we lose, and I'm like WTF! :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 am 

AlphaMale wrote:
I check in at the 3rd period last night because I don't watch the games anymore, see that someone finally scored, and so we are up 1-0. I figure okay, we might pull this one off. I get awoken by my alerm clock turned to 680News at 5:30am, and I hear that we lose, and I'm like WTF! :(

Correction, young man. We didn't lose when we lost the game. Our loss total did not increase. We just didn't win either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 pm 

Ah man, I just finished some work and turn to the third period, and Bernier let in w goal from centre ice 5 seconds in!

I think this team is seriously cursed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 am 

They were having a good discussion on Prime Time last night with McCowan. They were more or less saying what we all know in that the team is not THIS bad, and that it must be that Horachek won't let them play.

Basically pondering if there could be 2 fired Leaf coaches in one season.

Phaneuf sounds like he's all but gone and may even not play another game in a Leaf jersey again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next