HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 pm 

marathonman wrote:
What a lot of people don't know, is that there is not a large profit margin in the restaurant business.

Milton is not the best place to open a restaurant. Many ethnic people, who tend to eat at home, and no university students, who like to eat out often.

Funny comments like this keep being repeated... the fact our population is over 100,000 now should make it pretty easy to succeed since there really is no competition in town
Not sure which ethnic group you complain of, but places like Brampton & Scarborough have no problems with minority customers

The age groups (eg University kids) is a very minor difference according to StatsCan
People aged 18-34 were likely to eat at a restaurant twice a week. While those between 35-54 would eat out about 1.8 times. And those that were 55+ would eat out 1.5 times a week at a restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:08 am 

shawnrk1 wrote:
marathonman wrote:
What a lot of people don't know, is that there is not a large profit margin in the restaurant business.

Milton is not the best place to open a restaurant. Many ethnic people, who tend to eat at home, and no university students, who like to eat out often.

Funny comments like this keep being repeated... the fact our population is over 100,000 now should make it pretty easy to succeed since there really is no competition in town
Not sure which ethnic group you complain of, but places like Brampton & Scarborough have no problems with minority customers

The age groups (eg University kids) is a very minor difference according to StatsCan
People aged 18-34 were likely to eat at a restaurant twice a week. While those between 35-54 would eat out about 1.8 times. And those that were 55+ would eat out 1.5 times a week at a restaurant.

Thanks for taking my quote out of context...not unlike all of your past comments. You can quote all the stats you want. Everyone knows students spend on impulse and keep all the restaurants going. High school students go to fast food places, and university students make up about 25% of the business at dine in restaurants (very high percentage compared to population).

My parents are of ethnic decent. They rarely (if ever) went to restaurants. Ethnic people tend to be more frugal with their money. They grew up in an environment where they generally had to work harder for a dollar earned. (I'm taking about 1st generation immigrants into Canada - like my parents). Not the 2nd generation, urban Bramaltonian, I deserve a $100 000 job because I went to university and I've still never bought a Canadian flag in my entire lifetime population that you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:47 am 

Stats can is stats not trends. If you knew anything about economics you'd see that marathon man is correct.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:55 am 

I heard Paramount Fine Foods is coming to Milton where Japan Buffet used to be. Not sure if its true.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:33 pm 

miltonbound2014 wrote:
I heard Paramount Fine Foods is coming to Milton where Japan Buffet used to be. Not sure if its true.

Yup they already have signs up for. Paramount Fine Foods

Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 pm 

marathonman wrote:
Everyone knows students spend on impulse and keep all the restaurants going. High school students go to fast food places, and university students make up about 25% of the business at dine in restaurants (very high percentage compared to population).

Ah the old "everyone knows" defence
No empirical evidence whatsoever just a strong gut feeling

Feel free to start a Leafs could win the cup thread :)

marathonman wrote:
My parents are of ethnic decent. They rarely (if ever) went to restaurants. Ethnic people tend to be more frugal with their money. They grew up in an environment where they generally had to work harder for a dollar earned.

So... your original argument that minorities never eat out is now being retracted to be replaced with your specific family experiences coupled with how poor first gen immigrants are? By that argument I am sure there are many new east Europeans who have immigrated, need to work hard, and can not afford the luxury of eating out very often. Nothing whatsoever to do with race

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 am 

From my experiences, bedroom communities like Milton have always had difficulty in having a strong restaurant scene. It's always hard to pin point exact causes, but, my opinion has always been that if a large portion of the population spends a great portion of their workday commuting, the last thing they want to do on a weeknight is go out to eat.

It's why I think the most successful restaurants in these environments tend to be ones that have a strong take out business. That's why I'm optimistic that Paramount can make it work here.

It's hard to rely on dine-in business when it's probably only the weekends that get really busy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm 

I say good riddance - they sucked for customer service and ALWAYS got my take out order wrong (3 times, then stopped ordering there).

Paramount will be a nice welcome addition!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:00 pm 

Deep wrote:
I say good riddance - they sucked for customer service and ALWAYS got my take out order wrong (3 times, then stopped ordering there).

The Brampton location is just as bad at screwing up orders
It could be a franchise thing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

It's too bad it sort of went downhill - when they first opened they were really busy and the food was excellent. As time went by the quality of food diminished. I was also disappointed the one off James Snow closed, that was some really good sushi! Does anyone know of a good sushi place in Milton? I went to the one off Steeles near Ontario and can't say I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:08 pm 

the one just off main, i think its on mill?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:14 pm 

Milton is full of young house-poor families that don't have the money leftover to eat out, to busy spending it on daycare :P It's really a wonder any restaurant lasts here at all.

As a side note "Saucy" is opening up soon in the old post office cursed location (previously Osso Bucco) their menu looks nice but it's still in the $30-50 a plate catagory that Osso Bucco was, I give them 8-12 months before they're gone as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:12 pm 

8 Ball wrote:
Milton is full of young house-poor families that don't have the money leftover to eat out, to busy spending it on daycare :P It's really a wonder any restaurant lasts here at all.

As a side note "Saucy" is opening up soon in the old post office cursed location (previously Osso Bucco) their menu looks nice but it's still in the $30-50 a plate catagory that Osso Bucco was, I give them 8-12 months before they're gone as well.

Their Streetsville location has been around for years and is decent. Glad they decided to open a second location.

Ousso Bucco didn't go out of business because they weren't busy, rather due to other reasons. Both his Brampton and Milton locations were busy. You generally couldn't get a seat in the place Friday or Saturday nights unless you had a reservation or wanted to sit at the bar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:51 pm 

Opens tomorrow evening.