HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 pm 

Looking into buying a used convertible from the U.S. in the off season now. Any thoughts? I am in my mid-thirties, 6 ft tall so not sure if I will look proportional in 1 series?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:03 pm 

The 1 Series is much smaller (and slightly effeminate in my opinion, but with an edge since it's a pocket rocket), but it handles like it's on rails with a shorter wheelbase; the car magazines love the car. One of the neighbours here named 727girl has one and can definitely comment more.

The 335i Cabriolet is gorgeous and that's the one I'd get (with the red leather interior). I work in the auto business, so when I was talking to one of my colleagues who used to work at BMW about this car, he said the only warning is to never operate the power hardtop in winter because if something breaks, there is a whackload of motors that could cost almost into the 5 figures to fix. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:19 pm 

If this was a coupe vs coupe I would say the 1 series, but because of the vert, go with the 335. You won't look like a hairdresser driving it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:26 pm 

I love my 128 but it's not a convertible. I like it on the highway... lots of getup and go! I thought about getting a new 228 but am sticking with this one for now. I mostly see women or young guys driving them. Few old guys sometimes. Of course, my hubby drives it too :D He's about 5'10" I guess? It is a small car though. Mostly just me in the car or with hubby, but occasionally (very rare) have 1 or 2 adults in the back. Tight but they do fit. The 3 series isn't that much bigger though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:40 pm 
Sandeepster this is your wheelhouse. ...don't disappoint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:57 am 

If you want a convertible, buy one that was made to be a convertible from the start. A lightly used S2K, Boxer, etc. will be the same or less than what you are already looking at. Unless you REALLY need that back seat. If so, stick with a fixed roof!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 am 

I'm not a big fan of the 1series. When I last looked at it, the price difference in a 3 series and 1 series wasn't enough to justify the 1-series (i.e. it's not much more expensive to buy an entry-level 3-series). I sat in a 135i coupe (not convertible) at the auto show a few years ago, and it was a tight fit. I'm 6'0" tall and probably weighed about 160 pounds at the time, and found it cramped.

With the convertible, you'll lose 1-2" in headroom compared to the coupe. I just re-read your post and you say you're 6' tall. I don't suggest it, best bet is to go and sit inside one though!

Having said all that, they handle great and have a good power/weight ratio.

I'd take a 3-series convertible over an S2K or a Boxster anyday.

Let the spankin' begin!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 pm 

My hairdresser drives A 1 series, he said it's fabulous! He and his partner do road trips to Provincetown, and he said the gas mileage is really good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 pm 

Haven't sat in the 1, but I have a Z4 roadster and I'm 6'1" and got 100 lbs on Sandeep and I fit just fine in the Z...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm 

Deep wrote:
Haven't sat in the 1, but I have a Z4 roadster and I'm 6'1" and got 100 lbs on Sandeep and I fit just fine in the Z...

Z4 is nice. Much better than a 1 or a 3 series convertible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 am 

Lolol at the hairdresser comments.

Yes, the Z4 Roadster beats the 1 and 3. That long hood and short deck is always eye-catching and classic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 am 

I'd take a Z4 over a 1-series anyday. They're great cars Deep, lots of fun to drive.

I'd take a Camry over a 1-series too, for whatever it's worth.

I was just on BMW.ca. I don't see any sign of a 1-series. Has it been taken out of production?
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/con ... rator.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 am 

Speaking of Camry - not to go off topic, but the 2015 sport models look pretty interesting. I was thinking of the maxima right now, but resale in nissan sucks - and the new Camry looks decent... (Well - the xse model)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:07 am 

Sandeep wrote:
I'd take a Z4 over a 1-series anyday. They're great cars Deep, lots of fun to drive.

I'd take a Camry over a 1-series too, for whatever it's worth.

I was just on BMW.ca. I don't see any sign of a 1-series. Has it been taken out of production?
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/con ... rator.html

Hrm - I guess they stopped it with the introduction of the 2 series!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 am 

Yep, the "2-Series" replaces the 1-Series because BMW has made some name changes so ALL "coupe" models will have an even number designation while the 4-doors will have odd designations.

Yes Deep, Maximas are a used car buyer's delight but a seller's nightmare. Consider the Accord too. That car looks fabulous. And yes, I too would choose a Camry over a 1-Series !