HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 pm 

Is there anything that can be done to utilize the long vacant corridor that runs from JSP to Thompson. Is anything allowed to be put there? There's a similar corridor in Burlington but they've (don't know who "they" are) put a gravel walking/running path long it. In the winter a lot of people use it as a x-country trail. Is something like that possible, or could we build a couple of ice rinks there in the winter. Seems silly to have acres of space unused (although it does make a beautiful dandelion garden all summer).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:18 pm 

Union Gas doesn't allow stuff like ice-rinks within a certain distance of the gas line. The town has plans to complete a pathway (now currently very patch-work) in that area to create a continuous trail. I'm not sure exactly why it's not been done especially in the 4th line to JSP except I recall there being some construction related to sewer/water to feed Derry Green. I saw construction at the JSP section but haven't investigated whether is was pathway work or something else. Talk to your new town councillors in Wards 1 and 6 :-).

Edit: knew I'd seen it.
https://www.milton.ca/en/play/parksandt ... ojects.asp

Beaty Trail to JSP finished this year. Next year design starts on the incomplete section in Ward 6.
The last connection to join the two sections of trail across 4th line is not in the 0-5 year timeline. I'd guess it won't be done until the Peacock property and the property at 4th line and Derry is developed. Considering I know the family who owns that and their opinion of selling - I'm not expecting that to happen for a long time.

If you are interested this is the latest trail development plan. The map with phasing is pg 263, Appendix F
http://www.milton.ca/MeetingDocuments/C ... 014%20.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:22 am 

I was forwarded a letter from the town sent to me by a prospective candidate that the portion West of 4th line would begin construction in 2015.

I have no idea if they will connect it with the portion East of 4th line, as that requires a bridge and as was already said, there is pending construction (which would have no impact on the trail, but it’s probably good enough of an excuse for the town to nix doing anything).

I’ve been told this before by Counselors, so don’t hold your breath.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

The portion of the union gas trail from Thompson to Philbrook in ward 7 was recently completed....it was only about..umm.....4 to 6 years late I think depending on which yard stick your using :oops:

Parts of the trail are more difficult than others when there are legal issues that end up involving lawyers and negotiations between 3 parties ore more. Not to suggest that's occurring on the other portions.

There's more pieces being done on the west side of Bronte/railroad tracks along the trail as well. Bit by bit every year more of it gets connected. Not all of it will be continuous though, there will be some gaps (i.e. the railroad tracks is an obvious big one).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:54 pm 

Ugh. Not to attack you Rick, or any other Counselor – I get that lawyers rule the world they have ruined. But I have to explode a little here.

Delays like this are absurd and totally unacceptable. It’s been 12 years since my home was built. Yes, things get done “bit by bit”, but when your talking about a 13 year wait – how is that acceptable? People don’t live forever – that’s a good chunk of my adult life spent waiting for a simple strip of ashfault. From paths, to roads, to bridges, to illegal walls, the attitude of everyone working for the town is to throw their hands up and blame someone else.

Like I said, I don’t blame any one person for it, but it sure would be nice to see someone at least get a little upset about it. These are the sort of things that need a strong mayor to lead the charge on. We need a guy able to rally counsil behind him and smack some lawyers heads together and force people to get things done - not a ribbon cutter using the office as pension plan.

<I feel better, thank you>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:24 pm 

^^ Maybe in four years you'll get one.

Or maybe Gordo will just run again...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 pm 

bremer wrote:
Ugh. Not to attack you Rick, or any other Counselor – I get that lawyers rule the world they have ruined. But I have to explode a little here.

Delays like this are absurd and totally unacceptable. It’s been 12 years since my home was built. Yes, things get done “bit by bit”, but when your talking about a 13 year wait – how is that acceptable? People don’t live forever – that’s a good chunk of my adult life spent waiting for a simple strip of ashfault. From paths, to roads, to bridges, to illegal walls, the attitude of everyone working for the town is to throw their hands up and blame someone else.

Like I said, I don’t blame any one person for it, but it sure would be nice to see someone at least get a little upset about it. These are the sort of things that need a strong mayor to lead the charge on. We need a guy able to rally counsil behind him and smack some lawyers heads together and force people to get things done - not a ribbon cutter using the office as pension plan.

Wow! Even made me feel better and I don't much care about the trail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm 

Thank you Bremer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:07 pm 

bremer wrote:

+100

It was brought up during Trails Master Plan update how annoying it is this particular section has been left fallow - literally while a many multitude of sections in much newer areas have been completed. I've only been here 10 years, and I don't back onto that section of the trail but it's frustrating enough as a trail user. It was so insanely annoying to listen to the Cousens Terrace folks bitch about their trail not being completed the year they moved it when we've had this particular section left incomplete for over a decade - in some cases approaching 2 decades (sorry to my friends who live on Cousens). It would help Irma Coulson students on both English and FI streams with walkability/bikeability for them as well as be a significant completion to the neighbourhood. Kudos to Rick for going to bat for his constituents but if nothing else it highlighted even more the discontinuity issue. I am resigned to the fact that it will never be a truly connected trail, with signficant barriers like Thompson in the way and I'll have to deal with jogs up and down to get across like at 4th line. After 2 decades of signficant sections fenced off from residents getting most of it open will be an improvement. No, not holding my breath for the 4th line to Trudeau path connection that would require a little pedestrian bridge across the creek sadly. It keeps getting pushed down the timeline every 5 years.