HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:13 pm 

Still looking for good Chinese food in the area. The 6 or so places I've tried in and around town were all so-so. When I lived in Mississauga, Wings in Streetsville was my go to place. I followed them for over 20 years in about 3 different locations. They're now take out only which kind of diminishes the fresh taste by the time you get it home.

I've even branched out along Dundas, still looking for that wow taste. I find the Won-ton soup is my early indicator if the place is any good. Anyone have any thoughts? maybe I missed a gem?

Note, I'm not looking for Tai, more for traditional Chinese.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:55 pm 

You are surprised that I don't want a $9 beer at BP? I'm probably not that guy, in town I have no issue spending 15$ for a nice glass of wine at eddios or this week, a 26$ glass of wine and a blue label scotch at Mortons in Troy Michigan.

I like to push out the boat once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:27 pm 

So I ain't going to roll the dice on Splice tomorrow, cause nobody answered me.
Trying Fork &Spoon on Trafalgar. Any tips?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:27 pm 

AB wrote:
Still looking for good Chinese food in the area. The 6 or so places I've tried in and around town were all so-so. When I lived in Mississauga, Wings in Streetsville was my go to place. I followed them for over 20 years in about 3 different locations. They're now take out only which kind of diminishes the fresh taste by the time you get it home.

I've even branched out along Dundas, still looking for that wow taste. I find the Won-ton soup is my early indicator if the place is any good. Anyone have any thoughts? maybe I missed a gem?

Note, I'm not looking for Tai, more for traditional Chinese.

Chinese food in Milton is terrible.
Check out Perfect Kitchen in Mississauga. Dundas and 403. Its the closest quality Chinese joint around.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:29 pm 

Norts999 wrote:

You a big eater? If so, go for the AYCE option and try all the diff types of dishes including the curries and sushi in smaller servings of course). Otherwise, if youre a one plate dude, the different pad thais are actually pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:38 pm 

Def all I can eat sampler. Just hope the kids can sit long enough for me the pace for max exposure.
Sushi is quality? Anything stand out in your experience?

No, no. You know who was right all along? The Mongolians. They knew that you just can't wall yourself off from the outside world. Putting walls up never helps anything. Tearing them down brings us together.
-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:51 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
Def all I can eat sampler. Just hope the kids can sit long enough for me the pace for max exposure.
Sushi is quality? Anything stand out in your experience?

Basil beef!
Green curry chicken!
Fried banana things for dessert!
Then start over and have some more curry dishes!

Spoon & Fork is the shiznit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:25 am 

wipmike wrote:
Norts999 wrote:

You a big eater? If so, go for the AYCE option and try all the diff types of dishes including the curries and sushi in smaller servings of course). Otherwise, if youre a one plate dude, the different pad thais are actually pretty good.

I may have passed on the pad Thai given all the other temptations, but pad Thai was actually one of the most impressive dishes. Thanks for the tip. That place is awesome.
Next time no fried appetizer fillers, just fresh made plates. That's my advice to maximize your experience.
I agree with Hodor, close with the curries. The flavours can linger for a while.

-Randy-South Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:19 pm 

Norts999 wrote:
So looks like Saucy pulled out.
Signage now say Slice. Anyone know anything about this place?
http://splicegrill.com/
Why does their website feature a photo of Saucy on the home page? Menus look very similar but Slice is smaller. Possibly same owners, just changing things up for a less sophisticated Milton market?

Saucy sold to Splice. I thinks it is two people who have been in the industry for a while and want to try their hand at ownership. My understanding was the Post Office location requires a lot of work (plumbing, electrical, etc.) to get it running smoothly and they were not interested in investing that heavily. Not sure what Randy Drohan has to do with Saucy's though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 pm 

KGC wrote:
Norts999 wrote:
So looks like Saucy pulled out.
Signage now say Slice. Anyone know anything about this place?
http://splicegrill.com/
Why does their website feature a photo of Saucy on the home page? Menus look very similar but Slice is smaller. Possibly same owners, just changing things up for a less sophisticated Milton market?

Saucy sold to Splice. I thinks it is two people who have been in the industry for a while and want to try their hand at ownership. My understanding was the Post Office location requires a lot of work (plumbing, electrical, etc.) to get it running smoothly and they were not interested in investing that heavily. Not sure what Randy Drohan has to do with Saucy's though.

Randy owns the Saucy in Streetsville and opened a second location in Milton. He has decided to only keep the original Streetsville location so he can spend more time concentrating on his real estate business.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6