HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:48 pm 

The Proposed 2015 Milton Budget is now on the town website – all 461 pages of it. Fortunately for those councillors and citizens who are challenged by numbers and budgets, there are tons of great photos and pie charts.
http://www.milton.ca/en/townhall/budgets.asp

Some notes:
- Staff propose a 5.5% Milton tax increase for 2015 (p11). That excludes the library that proposes a 3.9% increase (p14).

- Staff forecast a 5.1% tax increase for 2016 and a 5.2% increase for 2017 (p399).

- $345k, about a 1% tax increase, is included to begin a Capital Levy to maintain infrastructure (p54). This would be easier to accept if there was also a plan to dispose of non-essential assets rather than budget tax money to maintain them.

-The Budget uses the taxpayer survey to justify increased spending where the survey responses suggested. Spending, however, is also increasing where the survey responses suggested cuts. :shock: e.g. library programs and materials. (p29)

-Staff again provided a list of items that could be eliminated to reduce the tax increase (p105-111). Expect the Budget Committee to stick to this script at the meetings on January 12 and 13, avoiding other areas of the budget that may have as much or more impact.

-Lots of discussion of Reserve Accounts where the target levels have not been reviewed since 2006 (p426).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:17 pm 

items that could be eliminated to reduce the tax increase= "Time to piss off a few people"

Splash Pads............Remove service level increase
to re-instate opening of splash
pads to May long weekend

Elimination of these funds will mean that the opening
of splash pads will coincide with the end of school
rather than the Victoria Day weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:31 am 

Any increase to make right turn lanes I approve of.
I'm seriously not happy that the Dymott/Tremaine didn't have one.
I know this is a regional road but Milton had to have somewhat of a say in this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:14 am 

When do we get to vote in "staff"? They seem to call the shots around here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:26 am 

Sandeep wrote:
When do we get to vote in "staff"? They seem to call the shots around here.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:26 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
Is closing rotary pool in there too? An annual budget tradition!

That one stopped appearing a couple of years ago. Made no sense as it NEVER was seriously considered.

Removing the crossing guard that Irma Coulson PS fought so hard to get is there though.

Hmm, looking at the library budget maybe there is some validity to the argument for the Board changes proposed...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:57 am 

freemantrailfamily wrote:
Hmm, looking at the library budget maybe there is some validity to the argument for the Board changes proposed...

The Library Board recommends a budget for council approval. Councillors could make changes to the library budget or send it back with instructions. I don’t recall councillors ever doing that. In fact, I don’t recall any discussion of the library budget at budget committee meetings.

I don’t see how it would help to load the library board with those same councillors. It may be more effective to change the selection criteria for citizen board members.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:11 am 

prickly_pete wrote:
thenay wrote:
Any increase to make right turn lanes I approve of.
I'm seriously not happy that the Dymott/Tremaine didn't have one.
I know this is a regional road but Milton had to have somewhat of a say in this.

"Any" increase? Be careful what you wish for.

Maybe that is the long term plan: do things so poorly so you can justify huge increases in the future. It's genius!

The lack of deceleration & acceleration lanes at the newly opened JSP / Trudeau intersection takes this cake I think. Are these planners dumb, lazy or cheap? What's going on with stuff like this? Maybe they just have a hate-on for Milton?

Also, I see the beginnings of traffic lights being installed there, which will... help? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:36 am 

garlis wrote:
freemantrailfamily wrote:

The Library Board recommends a budget for council approval. Councillors could make changes to the library budget or send it back with instructions. I don’t recall councillors ever doing that. In fact, I don’t recall any discussion of the library budget at budget committee meetings.

I don’t see how it would help to load the library board with those same councillors. It may be more effective to change the selection criteria for citizen board members.

Good point. I do recall some discussion on the library budget. I remember specifically a staffing discussion about hiring of another librarian that was not done. I think that was two or three years ago but would have to go back.

Yes, changing selection criteria is a good idea. Probably not a bad idea to review that for all boards and committees too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:57 am 

Mind blowing idea coming up…..Imagine if they built schools and libraries…AT THE SAME PLACE (ka-pow!!!). Like, rather than spending a million bucks on books in every school library, and another billion bucks on books in every branch library – they got rid of school libraries and just built the library on school grounds! (Whaaaaaaa!)

Then the school boards would save a ton on books, as the kids could just walk over to the library 20 ft away. The public would have access to their constitutional right to a library on every block, and millions of dollars on duplicate libraries would be saved.

What’s that Mr. Counselor? The province won’t allow this because of Act 234 Section 3 subsection B of the “Reasons things can’t get done act?”. Oh, well then, why don’t you rally your friends together and get the province on board to help change that law? That’s what you’re here for, right??? Use your influence and powers to force change for the better. Engage the media, make noise, draw attention, and watch things change.

Or, just say f**K it and raise my taxes. Your call.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:12 am 

There is actually a halfway rational reason for this. They could do it at high schools, but not so much at elementary. I don't really want general public to be having free access to come on school property with the pervs that are out there.

They do it in Oakville, at White Oaks:
http://www.opl.on.ca/about/branches?branch=White%20Oaks

Contact Info

1070 McCraney St. East (inside White Oaks Secondary School)
Oakville, L6H 2R6

bremer wrote:
Mind blowing idea coming up…..Imagine if they built schools and libraries…AT THE SAME PLACE (ka-pow!!!). Like, rather than spending a million bucks on books in every school library, and another billion bucks on books in every branch library – they got rid of school libraries and just built the library on school grounds! (Whaaaaaaa!)

Then the school boards would save a ton on books, as the kids could just walk over to the library 20 ft away. The public would have access to their constitutional right to a library on every block, and millions of dollars on duplicate libraries would be saved.

What’s that Mr. Counselor? The province won’t allow this because of Act 234 Section 3 subsection B of the “Reasons things can’t get done act?”. Oh, well then, why don’t you rally your friends together and get the province on board to help change that law? That’s what you’re here for, right??? Use your influence and powers to force change for the better. Engage the media, make noise, draw attention, and watch things change.

Or, just say f**K it and raise my taxes. Your call.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:31 am 

No, that’s an issue that can be dealt with if you put a little thought into it.

Schools are all publicly accessible today. Any perv can walk onto the grounds at recess and get their jollies. There’s no security until you get to the front doors. Outdoors is fully reliant on alert staff.

Do the same thing with libraries. Open access, but design areas for the kids and restrict access. You just put the books kids would be interested in in one area, and require permission to go there. No full grown man is at the library to read Thomas the Train.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:40 am 

I'm just starting to go through it- on the portion dealing with the Capital budget right now. Thoughts so far: The hospital levy frozen at 1% surprises me. There's a lot of talk around that more or less we may have to go into debt paying for this expansion. I wonder why there isn't talk of a tiny increase (.25-.3%) to that in order to avoid future debt. Also surprising me is the idea of cutting Arts& Culture with the Arts Centre and Mattamy theatre in play.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:23 pm 

Lol. I’m picturing you unwinding with a craft beer and a Thomas book after work.

With people it’s all about perception. I have this argument all the time with my wife when I wonder aloud about what the f**K happened to kids walking to school. She’s adamant that perverts didn’t exist in significant quantities until the 90’s. She has no idea what, why, or how it happened, but she’s adamant that it’s now inherently dangerous for kids to go anywhere alone. Everyone I know, agrees with her. It’s too dangerous for kids to walk to school until they are in high school. Apparently, 14 is the age we all agree kids are ready to fight off full grown men driving rape vans.

Informed people realize this is all absurd, but perception is reality so we throw buzzers on the front doors of the schools to make people feel like bad things can’t happen. Like a buzzer is going to keep any motivated person from doing harm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:49 pm 

Missing children wasn't discussed social issue until the 70s with the missing kid from NYC (Etan Patz). That sparked a whole movement and he was the first kid on the milk carton.

Do I think its absurd, sure -- do I think the buzzer helps (I think its more annoyance for good people and less effective stopping bad people). That said, no way is my daughter at sub 10 walking to school by herself. Maybe in a group of 3-4 kids that I knew and trusted. The risk is really really low of anything happening, but its not worth taking the chance. I equate losing a kid to pretty much end of life, end of marriage catastrophe.

Hell, I don't even love the idea of my wife walking the dog alone after its dark out -- I handle that and she's good with it.

bremer wrote:
With people it’s all about perception. I have this argument all the time with my wife when I wonder aloud about what the f**K happened to kids walking to school. She’s adamant that perverts didn’t exist in significant quantities until the 90’s. She has no idea what, why, or how it happened, but she’s adamant that it’s now inherently dangerous for kids to go anywhere alone. Everyone I know, agrees with her. It’s too dangerous for kids to walk to school until they are in high school. Apparently, 14 is the age we all agree kids are ready to fight off full grown men driving rape vans.

Informed people realize this is all absurd, but perception is reality so we throw buzzers on the front doors of the schools to make people feel like bad things can’t happen. Like a buzzer is going to keep any motivated person from doing harm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next