HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:10 pm 

I'm in the process of finishing my basement. Thanks to the recommendations and reviews found on this board, I hired the following contractors for their trades, and highly recommend them:

- Framing: Krys Construction (416-618-2499)
- Electrician: George (416-989-9923)
- HVAC: Dan (416-434-5339)
- Drywall: Carlo (416-931-9494)
- Mud/Tape: Roberto (416-892-8468)

I shopped around for some quotes, but the above were the best for value (and reviews!). They were professional and very reasonable with cost. I'm doing the basement myself, and instead of having one contractor do the whole job (I was quoted a LOT more!), I've subcontracted the work out. I've received a lot of good suggestions from all tradesmen, and would highly recommend any of them listed above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:32 pm 

I'm going through a similar process starting next weekend. I can't seem to find any info or other reviews on Carlo on here? What's his company's name?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:01 pm 

We used Krys, Carlo and Roberto for our basement as well. All did a fantastic job and I'd highly recommend them. I can also recommend J Currie Plumbing if you need that done as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:27 am 

miltonite_03 wrote:
I'm in the process of finishing my basement. Thanks to the recommendations and reviews found on this board, I hired the following contractors for their trades, and highly recommend them:

- Framing: Krys Construction (416-618-2499)
- Electrician: George (416-989-9923)
- HVAC: Dan (416-434-5339)
- Drywall: Carlo (416-931-9494)
- Mud/Tape: Roberto (416-892-8468)

I shopped around for some quotes, but the above were the best for value (and reviews!). They were professional and very reasonable with cost. I'm doing the basement myself, and instead of having one contractor do the whole job (I was quoted a LOT more!), I've subcontracted the work out. I've received a lot of good suggestions from all tradesmen, and would highly recommend any of them listed above.

I used the exact same group of guys...with the exception of HVAC, where we used Mason from Nissan Air. Here are two more to add as well.

Tile – John Lisi, (Universal Tile)
416-706-5474

Trim, Doors and Millwork etc. – Liam (LOC Carpentry)
416-822-4532

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 pm 

qran08 wrote:
I'm going through a similar process starting next weekend. I can't seem to find any info or other reviews on Carlo on here? What's his company's name?

Carlo and Roberto work together, from the most part. I believe that Carlo has a f/t job in the trade, and does drywalling on evenings and weekends. Highly recommended, though - I even had him do my insulation, as I didn't have time to do it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:31 pm 

Thanks for the recommendations for the plumber. I didn't need a plumber, as I didn't have a washroom installed.
After I've completed the painting myself, I'm looking for someone to install laminate flooring, baseboards, trim, and doors. I'll buy the stuff myself, just need to hire labour. Shopping around for quotes/recommendations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm 

Looking for a contractor contact Lee from LCL CONTRACTING at 905 616 2995.

Well known in Milton...excellent price and work

www.lclcontracting.com..... check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:16 pm 

:)

CALL ROBERTO FOR A FREE ESTIMATE
416-8928468

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 am 

I used Chris/Krys for my framing and he and his crew did a great job. Very reasonable for the quality and speed at which they finished.

George for electrician he was great and pricing was awesome and he went above and beyond with some adjustments and requests.

Carlos for drywall so happy I went with him and Roberto is very well known for great work so here is another +1 for these guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 pm 

I used Martin from Grand Project Contracting and was very pleased.

http://grandprojectcontracting.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:29 pm 

Thank you , that list of contractors that is mentioned can help in saving money to home owners that want to tackle the basement on there own as an independent contractor. you save on the mark up and deal directly with a group that is efficient, budget friendly, and easy to deal with. In addition the years of experience combined between us will at least allow each and every home owner peace of mind from the design stages right down to the completion and permits.

Thank you for all you kind words and faith in our work.

George Reppas
Nightingale Electric
esa ecra lic # 7010060
416 989 9923

416 989 9923

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:33 am 

I wish I had seen these posts earlier as I went with one of those companies who placed a sign on the parkways near my home and am now starting to regret it. The sign was for a company called Discount Basements and the sign promised a “professionally finished basement in under two weeks”. So I contacted them for a quote. While it was reasonable compared to the big box stores, they squeezed afterwards for every minor change. Long story short, their advertisement stated two weeks, the sign they placed on my lawn stated three weeks, the contract stated three and a half weeks and today (August 8, 2015) marks the 84th “work” day (taking in to account the three holidays we’ve had since then and that their definition of a "work" day is Monday to Friday). They failed all but two inspections. Luckily I invested in a permit through the Town of Milton which was the best investment I've made on this project! The initial plumbing inspection they barely passed and only since they met the minimum of the building code and they passed the ESA inspection although one of my lights doesn’t work at all. They also operate under the name AGM Renovations (which is the company that did majority of the work). The reason they have not finished yet is because they failed the final building inspection and are asking me to pay extra for them to fix their mistakes! DO NOT EVER CONTACT THESE COMPANIES which are one and the same! I’m sorry I’ve forgotten the name of the third business they also go by.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:21 pm 

We just had our basement framed by Krys and his team and are extremely satisfied with his work and professionalism. Krys arrived on time and did the work in the time frame he quoted. Construction lasted just 2 days as promised and he left the site clean. Krys and his team were a pleasure to work with, the price was reasonable and he treats your project as it if was his home. We are very happy with the work and the additional contractors he recommended for other parts of the job. I highly recommend Krys for any framing job whether basements, decks, etc. Great job and thanks again! Mike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:48 pm 

+1 Krys just did my basement as well and everything was done as advertised and for a reasonable price. Very happy with the work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:04 pm 

Just wanted to revive this thread as we are looking for recommendations for home renos. Any advice is appreciated!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next