HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: JEEP Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am 

Thinking of getting a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I'm a little hesitant to buy 'American' but it does seem like a nice car and all (did my research for the most part). Just wondering if there are any horror stories or 'thumbs up' stories about JEEP vehicles. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: JEEP Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 am 

They do not have a very good reliability history based on past models, but they are very capable off-road and nicely finished inside. Also, Jeep and Dodge dealers rank near the bottom in Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction as I work in this area of the business.

Do you plan to buy or lease? Test-drive it, and check out its other competitors too like the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot (you might get a deal as it is in its last year in current form), GMC Acadia, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento (their new 2016 model looks very hot). But if your heart is set on the Jeep and it meets your family's needs and you find it comfortable and visibility is good, just get it and enjoy, but get an extended warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:33 am 

Thanks Alpha...I've always avoided extended warranties....but you think it's a good idea in this case huh?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:32 pm 

Its nice to see the jeep can finally pass the sweds moose test. But why a jeep?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:47 pm 

avg_joe wrote:
Thanks Alpha...I've always avoided extended warranties....but you think it's a good idea in this case huh?

I do for peace of mind, yeah, unless you are leasing or only plan to keep it 5 years or less.

Reliability is a funny thing. To some, the odd premature or unexpected repair is no biggie if they are getting something they like such as high performance, functionality or social status. I also know people with American and German makes that are trouble-free aside from regular maintenance, but on a statistical level, the Japanese brands are the most reliable.

I'm not brashly opinionated on cars, so I never dissuade anyone from buying what they like, but do a needs assessment, think about where you'll be with your family in 5 years, and if it makes sense to get a Jeep, get it. Happy shopping!! That new Cherokee's slit-like headlights remind me of the eyes of someone who's smoked a lot of weed, hahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:51 pm 

I looked at the Cherokee as well, especially the Trailhawk model as it is pretty bad ass off-road without the usual fuel economy penalty. I just can't go through with it from what I have read about reliability. Jeeps overall have a pretty bad reliability record, and in the new Cherokee there seems to be a lot of problems with the new 9 speed automatic transmissions.

I would suggest looking at a Subaru Forester or Nissan Rogue instead, or Honda CR-V if you don't care as much about the AWD capability as the CR-V is a great car but the AWD system doesn't measure up to those offered in some other brands. The Rogue offers pretty incredible value for $, although perhaps is not quite built as well as the other two, but still better reliability than the Jeep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 pm 

I remember renting a Jeep Liberty one winter for a week about 10 years ago. Scariest car I have ever driven. The tires they came with had zero grip on wet roads. My first trip out we had some light freezing drizzle coming down, and I went to stop and just sailed right through the intersection. It didn’t even slow down. Every other car around me stopped no problem.

The rest of the week was snow/rain type weather, and this is just how it handled the whole week. Constant terror as the thing spun out anytime I tried to apply the breaks. I had to drive like an old woman just to keep it on the road. This was a brand new Jeep with no wear on the tires.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:41 pm 

I think most people that get jeeps or SVU's get it for the all-wheel drive/ 4 wheel drive.

I hear a lot of people talking about off road capabliites etc but you need to ask your self. are you really going to go off road? Does wheel travel, angle of approach, clearance really matter?

Jeeps makes good off road vehicles buts as others mentioned, reliablity is on the low side.

with that said though, they are nice cars.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:43 pm 

Go to Jeep.ca then for model click on Renegade, it's so new for 2015 it hasn't arrived at the dealers yet. It is now on the roads in Europe. It's expected in 2 or 3 weeks. This Jeep is built in Italy at the Fiat plant but is designed by Jeep in the US. It has a Trailhawk model like the Cherokee. It's a bit smaller than the Cherokee.

This forum on the Renegade has been following it for a year allready with lots of info. http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/

The Renegade has the same tranny as the Cherokee but from what I've been reading the problems ( all software not mechanical ) have been worked out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:02 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
The Renegade has the same tranny as the Cherokee but from what I've been reading the problems ( all software not mechanical ) have been worked out.

I'm still tentative on the Cherokee...The tranny problems with the 2014 were bad enough that our neighbour ended up getting theirs replaced with a 2015 after being in the shop more than their driveway. Problem is that the 2015 they received is also starting to show symptoms - This would tend to support your software theory as I believe it's an entirely different unit this year?

Either way, it's stopped me from pulling the trigger on a Cherokee and I'm actually now looking at the Grand Cherokees instead as they seem to be more reliable from what I've been hearing...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:55 pm 

I have not driven the Cherokee however my 2011 Grand Cherokee has been a perfect vehicle. The 5.7l is very thirsty but with that out of the equation, the fit, finish, reliability has been on par with Audi.

Aftersales service is not always as pleasant but thankfully except for tire changeovers, and basic service (oil change for example) I do not have to go there often.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:35 pm 

Thanks for the input everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm 

Two of my coworkers just bought new 2015 Cherokees and they love them! They are awesome inside!

I have a Wrangler....it's 7 years old now and haven't had any major issues with it. I love it :)

I vote yes!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:28 am 

As nice as they are, it will sh*t the bed. Just google jeep problems and read on. The problem is the dealership experience with Chrysler is awful. If you want a vehicle for the long haul, go Toyota. Have a look, ISIS wont use anything but.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:39 am 

It's true. Look how satasfied these guys look

Attachment:
snl-isis.jpg
snl-isis.jpg [ 68.78 KiB | Viewed 434 times ]