HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:19 am 

if you want to revitalize and bring more business and people to downtown, you'll need to make the roads and parking a lot more efficient.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am 

Great thoughts there Fred, nice potential we can all see.

BUT. Unless and until the land-holding parties down there want it, it will never happen, or it will be some cobbled-together half-assed compromise to work around them. Lots of things in Milton are far from "nailed", this doesn't look like it'll go any differently.

The biggest strangleholds being a chicken enterprise, followed up by a 100-year old foundry / metalworks. Looks and smells great. It's the equivalent to big cities negotiating to deindustrialize their waterfronts. Is that going to happen in Milton? I seriously doubt it. Would you want a $500K condo overlooking that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 am 

Intensification means there will likely be residential development of some type in the core. By 2031 Milton is supposed to have 200 people/jobs per hectare in an area centred on Main St. This development as is likely won't happen; it shatters the height restriction of 4-storeys. I can't see council compromising that much on the zoning by-law. And because of the floodplain any development has to go through Conservation Halton. It would be a long approval process.

Until something is presented at council, it's not official.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:57 am 

B&T402 wrote:

BUT. Unless and until the land-holding parties down there want it, it will never happen, or it will be some cobbled-together half-assed compromise to work around them. Lots of things in Milton are far from "nailed", this doesn't look like it'll go any differently.

The biggest strangleholds being a chicken enterprise, followed up by a 100-year old foundry / metalworks. Looks and smells great. It's the equivalent to big cities negotiating to deindustrialize their waterfronts. Is that going to happen in Milton? I seriously doubt it. Would you want a $500K condo overlooking that?

Agreed - We need the staff from Parks and Rec to come in here and lobby for expropriating a 12ft wide strip and start there. Get Leslie Knope and her crew down here on a contract - she went up against giants like Sweetums and Gryzzl...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 pm 

Greenjp wrote:
...So not enough water or sewage?

Yes, they gave some numbers on this meeting. I don't know if link provided by Rick is for this one or else.

I'm surprised Fred D knows a lot about pond in some NAkerville, but not aware of our local one, just tells some "stories" which aren't "accurate".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:09 pm 

CompassLaura wrote:
This development as is likely won't happen; it shatters the height restriction of 4-storeys. I can't see council compromising that much on the zoning by-law.

Aren't there already 3 condo towers on Millside that are equivalent height to what is being proposed?

Diamond Award Winner - Top 3% in Canada
http://www.TheHomeHunter.ca
905-878-8101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm 

I'm going to draw some pictures on a napkin and "forget" the napkin during a "lunch meeting". Can't wait to see the hordes react to it either pro or no after it has been "discovered". :lol: :lol:

(I am a very good stick figure drawer).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:15 pm 

///

Attachments:
File comment: A Patriote musketeer takes his magnetic musket into action in the far distant future of 5959 AD
Patriote Musketeer halved.JPG
Patriote Musketeer halved.JPG [ 15.81 KiB | Viewed 802 times ]

Last edited by Milton Dutch Day on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:40 pm 

[quote="The Home Hunter"][quote="CompassLaura"]This development as is likely won't happen; it shatters the height restriction of 4-storeys. I can't see council compromising that much on the zoning by-law. [/quote]

Aren't there already 3 condo towers on Millside that are equivalent height to what is being proposed?[/quote]

Not quite, there are two 12 story buildings which were built in the 70s (101 Millside built in the early 70s, 82 Millside built in the late 70s), a 13 story building (81 Millside) built in the late 70s, and the 17 story 100 Millside bult in the early 90s. All were going to create a significant increase in traffic volume, but never did. All are also built within the floodplain itself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:16 pm 

Perhaps revisiting the Town's Official Plan drafted in 1997 (with some minor amendments a few years later) is a start in making downtown a greater center of activity and also a way for businesses to last longer than one summer.

Milton has turned into one big suburb where people either sleep or drive their kids to after school programs. Towns/cities around us have that reality too, but found ways to add more and keep residents spending their time and money where they live. Both the current official plan and the half-hearted efforts to implement it as CHEAP as possible over a protracted period, is the harvest we now reap.

The town has so much potential and can still be the envy of others. Since no one in Milton seems to know how to improve the downtown, hire someone who either can or at least hire someone to tell the town how to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 pm 

B&T402 wrote:

B&T402, there hasn't been a foundry on mill street since the 1930's. And the machine shop on that site is housed in one of the newest buildings on the entire street. Not exactly an eyesore. Certainly not a boutique though; -)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:47 pm 

2ndline wrote:
B&T402, there hasn't been a foundry on mill street since the 1930's. And the machine shop on that site is housed in one of the newest buildings on the entire street. Not exactly an eyesore. Certainly not a boutique though; -)

Minor semantics. Let's agree on "machine shop" then, which has a connotation almost as shitty as "foundry".

Let's not kid ourselves to say that something like that, or an abattoir!!, belongs in the mix of any redevelopment of that area. The ToM should be by now at least in talks to help facilitate some kind of deal, to get rid of these blights. Back in the day when those facilities were first installed, they got their water (and presumably dumped waste -ew) at that location, and needed to be there. Fast forward two or three lifetimes, that is no longer the case. They are there just because that's where they've always been, and there is no motive to change. I say someone needs to write some cheques and get fricking rid of it all.

This is what I mean about "half-assing" it. Do you remember The Dicken's patio down there, in high humidty? The smell was sometimes so bad it affected your eyes, never mind just your nose. Are you going to buy a condo overlooking that? Come on Milton, let's get moving on this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 am 

I don't necessarily disagree with development along that stretch of downtown Milton, but I don't think what is proposed respects the zoning of that area (it is zoned for 4 stories) or the fact it is within Heritage designated area. The design of that proposal seems so far out of context with what it is surrounding. Thee are better solutions out there

my 2 cents.

lot #117

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:26 pm 

B&T402 wrote:
2ndline wrote:

Minor semantics. Let's agree on "machine shop" then, which has a connotation almost as shitty as "foundry".

Let's not kid ourselves to say that something like that, or an abattoir!!, belongs in the mix of any redevelopment of that area. The ToM should be by now at least in talks to help facilitate some kind of deal, to get rid of these blights. Back in the day when those facilities were first installed, they got their water (and presumably dumped waste -ew) at that location, and needed to be there. Fast forward two or three lifetimes, that is no longer the case. They are there just because that's where they've always been, and there is no motive to change. I say someone needs to write some cheques and get fricking rid of it all.

This is what I mean about "half-assing" it. Do you remember The Dicken's patio down there, in high humidty? The smell was sometimes so bad it affected your eyes, never mind just your nose. Are you going to buy a condo overlooking that? Come on Milton, let's get moving on this.

Yikes, so much bitterness from sitting in your shitty cubicle?? At least it's not a bland office building full of zombies with a BA thinking they are going somewhere. It's a business that is technology driven and provides well paying high skilled jobs. There have been attempts at "cheque writing" in the past and the owners aren't interested. When the machine shop added to and renovated about 15 years ago the town was reluctant to issue a building permit and try to by them out even then. Almost the same deal as in the city when they built all the condo's around the slaughterhouse there. All the yuppies seemed to think they as the new majority had more rights than a property owner that had been there more than 100 years and close it down. Nothing they can legally do about it. You know the old proverb, if you don't like the smell, don't move next to the slaughterhouse. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:08 am 

The thing is, that is pretty much what is happening in cities all around Milton, former industrial areas turned into condo development like the Distillery District on Toronto. With the province mandating intensification, the town will look for ways to comply. You can't stop progress as it is said. One guy in Toronto tried so when all the homes around him got bought up and he did not want to sell, the condo developers owning land around him just built around his house. It looks ridiculous, just like in the movie "Up", so now all he has is a view of the condo walls all around him. He can't sell now and moved out, trying to get a series of small businesses to use the home to no success.