HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Frozen Pipes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:13 pm 

\\\

Last edited by Milton Dutch Day on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:45 am 

Milton Dutch Day wrote:
freemantrailfamily wrote:
Hopefully you will be able to get relief sooner than later. Thankfully it looks like warm weather is in the horizon.

Out of curiosity, do you know if your service pipes from the street into the house are under the driveway or under your front lawn?

I'm guessing the contractors didn't put the pipes in deep enough with the trencher in order to put a few extra bucks in their pocket

It's a potential. I think they are all supposed to go to a standard depth. I was also thinking though that if it's a tiny front yard that is mostly driveway cleared of snow and there isn't much front lawn between houses maybe that makes them more susceptible to a deeper frost layer. Snow is a great insulator. Can't say without knowing more property details. With multiple adjacent homes without water the pipe depth is certainly suspect. Another likely suspect is crappy fill.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:07 am 

I don't know which direction the service pipe is located.
Here is google map street view. May be it can give you some idea. It is first house beside pond (in front of electric pole in view):

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.511811,- ... OOdpXw!2e0

Thanks, Raj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:23 pm 

Did you know that the city owns the property up to your water main, which is that little pipe that sticks out of the ground. This is most likely a bout 3 feet away from your home by the looks of your property.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:43 pm 

RajAndAnu wrote:
I have corner house. My next door neighbor don’t have water either. They have a little baby to care and temporarily moved to their parent’s house. I have two backyard neighbors and one of them is on vacation. Another backyard neighbor said he will ask his wife and get back to me. It has been three days and I am still awaiting his response. I am OK, as I work and use gym for my needs. My high school going daughters are the most affected and very stressful. School projects, assignments, extracurricular activities and then this water problem affecting them the most.

Our situation is different than Toronto/Ottawa. At least in Toronto/Ottawa, city is promising that they will fix it. Here they are giving us shady answers and telling us to wait until May end when it will naturally thaw.
Alas...Cost of repair is more important than community values. It seems our region doesn’t have any documented process or policy about responsibility and obligation on these kind of situations.

As one of you suggested to hire a plumber and I did. He came today and said it is city’s problem, and he can’t do anything.

As you suggested, I also called our regional councilor Mike Cluett and left a message. Hopefully he will return my call.

Thank you friends for all of your moral support.

Best regards, Raj

If I were you I would be knocking on every door on the street until I found someone who said yes. It's a sad state of affairs when a guy says "I have to ask my wife if we should help a neighbour who is obviously in need".

Who is this loser? If he says no you should post his address. Of course that's only if you offered to pay for the water you used etc. Water is fairly cheap and I'm sure you could work something out with the Region as my friends did.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:44 pm 

Wait is the Town asking you to run a garden hose form your neighbors hose bib? Wouldn't hooking a garden hose up to their exterior hose bib cause their pipes to freeze? Isn't this why they tell us to shut down our exterior hose bibs. So if the neighbors hose bib freezes and their finished basement get flooded. Who's going to pay for this the Town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:53 pm 

When they hook up the houses they are told to leave the water running 24/7 to prevent it from freezing. They pick up the cost of that extra water (probably based on previous meter readings but not 100% sure).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 pm 

That's right, If I connect the hose with my neighbor, I were told to run at least one tap (May be laundry tap) all the time running in order to prevent freezing. City will put me and my neighbor on mimimum water bill. I explained this to my backyard neighbor too.

That's not good idea to publish neighbor's name. I beleive it is my privilege not the right to ask for the help. I have no problem if he refused. Even in future, if he needs my help for any matter, I will still help him unconditionally.

Sadly, Mike Cluett didn't return my call as I left my message over his voice mail yesterday. May be he is too busy on other priorities or may be I couldn't explain my situation very well over the voice mail. I will re-try calling him tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I will run a pipe across the street neighbor for 10 to 15 mins and fill it up all the possible buckets I have at home. At least something better than nothing. :)

Once again thanks for all your support and standing beside me. You can always count on me, if I could help you guys.

Thank you. Raj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:28 pm 

--

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:34 pm 

Raj you are way too nice. If my neighbour wouldn't help me out with WATER with zero inconvenience to himself, I can say there wouldn't be much help coming his way if he needed it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:31 pm 

Thank you thegrandfromage.

Regional Councilor Mike Cluett called me and assured me some solution very soon. He has also made an arrangement for my neighbor next door (Who also don’t have water) to hook up another neighbor next to them. I am glad for my neighbor next door as they are in need more than me. They have a little baby at home to care.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm 

RajAndAnu wrote:
Our situation is different than Toronto/Ottawa. At least in Toronto/Ottawa,

Except Milton isn't a city.

Up till about 1975 or thereabouts you could still go to
Jasper Martin's mill on Martin St and pick up
your bag of cracked corn for the sheep flock.

What you've got here is essentially
a farm town of perhaps
5000 souls that had another 25000 dumped on it around 1980.

Then when Mattamyville came along another 80000
got dumped in.

Its like a 4 year old kid suddenly discovering he's
a 40 year old and he's got to solve adult issues.

Milton grew up too quickly for its own good.