HawthorneVillager.com

Hawthorne Village (Milton) Discussion Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 am 

Usually there's stuff about it on here but not so much this year.

I totally forgot but I was asleep at that time so maybe that still counts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:25 am 

We did, shut off all the lights and played a game of cards with my kids.

Seems to be losing the buzz it once had, but we still enjoy it.

-Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:27 am 

I think I had every light in the house on... opps I totally forgot about it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:39 am 

I got caught up on last season's GoT with the wife. So, umm, I guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am 

I watched Interstellar with my daughter. Thought it was relevant.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 am 

The world had moved on to new fad obsessions. At the moment it’s bullying. That one’s due to die out in another year or two and will be replaced with a new obsessive drive to improve the world in some impossible way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am 

I concur, I’m thinking it will be food based. The baby boomers are trying to cling to life as they get up there in years, so I can see them driving health fads in general.

GMO and Organics looks ripe for the picking. Anti-Sugar is another candidate. I can’t wait to see what zero tolerance and ban hammer interventions result from that one.

It’s so hard to predict what it’s going to be next though. Bullying came out of left field for this half decades obsession. Hidden cameras in slaughter houses are getting popular, we could be due for an animal rights freak out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:15 pm 

i refuse to do earth day as all the non used electricy has to be given to the USA and we are charged for it. The power plants cannot power down for 1 hour at no cost to us. It takes 1 hour for natural gas plants to power up or down. The Nuclear plants are 24/7. Read up and learn how much the real cost is when doing these stupid fad things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:35 am 

Gonna take a guess that we sell power to other utilities for less than us consumers pay. If consumers use and buy less, and other utilities take the opportunity of excess capacity to buy more, our utilities lose. That still doesn't mean we as consumers lose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:25 pm 

Since wynne and co have made Ontario into a supposed "green" energy oasis, why do we need to anymore? We're only using natural energy sources. At least if you listen to their drivel anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 pm 

Sandeep wrote:
Gonna take a guess that we sell power to other utilities for less than us consumers pay. If consumers use and buy less, and other utilities take the opportunity of excess capacity to buy more, our utilities lose. That still doesn't mean we as consumers lose.

If we sold it at any price that would be great but sadly we do not sell it,t we pay for it to be gone.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... 3_ndp.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm 

The price of electricity occasionally goes negative in Ontario. Today is an example of that. I've never seen the price stay below zero for most of the day like today. Must be the wind.

The green line in the price chart is the actual price for today.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 pm 

It’s only sold at a loss/dirt cheap because those windmills are often spinning when we don’t need them at night. Nuclear/hydro covers night time demand.

So depending on how you look at it, this is either stupid – because we’re producing hydro we don’t need and giving it away. Or smart economics, because those windmills were built with daytime peak demand in mind and the fact that we can run them at night is just a consequence of having them.

Think of it this way…We don’t run gas plants at night and sell that hydro at a loss because that’s stupid. We need to buy gas to run them with, so there’s a cost to operating those plants.

With wind, there’s no cost to run them as wind is free. So it makes sense to squeeze out some power and sell it for almost nothing because it costs nothing to create it in the first place. You’re making a couple hundred million a year you otherwise wouldn’t. The accounting only shows it as a loss because the cost of power includes the upfront cost of building a windmill.